Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just see a few posts with people having problems after taking flaygl i has on 750mg for ten days about four five mobths ago i did all the doses my doc said you might have c-diff no that i have taken it i have problems with numbness etc and i have read on the pill it could cause problems and i have a filling it made me worse if i had know more about the pill i wouldnt have taken it i wonder if anyone else has had problems with it i have seen two on one of my posts that where messed up from it and as well a slew of people on another site i think this pill is poison!!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://www.answers.com/topic/metronidazole lists some of the "bugs" it is used for treating.The problem with "it was the drug" given for an infection is the fall out from an untreated by any drug GI infection can cause IBS pretty easily..It is hard to know if the drug is doing more than the original infection and the "friendly fire" from the immune system killing it off does all on its own.The % of people with IBS symptoms after GI infections can be pretty high (which may very well be why the % of people with IBS in the general population is high).That you had been given a drug for a GI infection may point more to the fact you had a bad GI infection that you needed drugs for (so likely to be bad enough to cause IBS all on its own) rather than that particular drug is the problem.Not saying it can't play a role, but that it would be hard to prove anything when the conditions it is given for can cause chronic GI symptoms without any help.K.PS I didn't get treatment for it, but I beleive my IBS started after a long low-grade GI infection. It didn't make me really sick (although I did run a low-grade fever for a few weeks) I never took any antibiotics for it at all (I wasn't that sick) but I think it took so long to throw off that the immune system did a fair amount of damage before the darn thing was gone.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ugh! I LOATHE the stuff. Every time you see a new doctor in Aus the first thing they treat you for (without testing) is giardia and give you a big course of Flagyl. I've been given this about 8 times (I kid you not, the first time was when I was 5 and I'm now 27) and each time it gives me horrendous D and terrible pain and takes me AGES to get back to my usual D and pain (lol, I hope you get that).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its a little to late for me done case did the flaygl and will never do it again i will let my body take care of it on its own now that i found out my bowells are now inflamed so i hope it just runs its course its been going on since may and i know my axiety of the hole thing isnt helping the healing process as i type right now my hands are dreeping in sweat i have app monday with gi doc over my biopys results but iam fighting not to let this get to me and its very tuff of the unknown abd whats going on i just hope iam still on track that it still ibs and not ibd...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
SOrry I probably freaked you out. That's just the way my body reacted to the stuff, however my body reacts badly to stuff that no one has ever been documented to react to (my doctors words) and even he has given up on how to help me in any way (his words also). Hang in there, good luck with the biopsies. I hope it is IBS! It is very tough when you don't have an answer to it all. It took me years and years to get my final diagnosis but now days they do the tests a lot sooner

·
Registered
408 Posts
There are tests that can be done to detect clostridium difficile, if that's what it was given for. Caveat is the stool tests should be done some time apart, since this organism, when hit by antibiotics, dies but sends out spores. The ab won't kill the spores, so it's kinda like fleas: you have to check again later when they 'hatch' [not in the presence of antibiotics.]. I had a go-round with this stuff...C-diff is also not infrequently resistant to flagyl. The good news is, vancomycin will kill it off well and has few side effects [certainly none for me]. But they always try flagyl first because oral vanco is terribly expensive for their friends the insurance agencies. :pFlagyl really tore up my stomach. Make sure you take it with very, VERY large meals.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hey Forrest, I've got very high inflammation too. Just below the IBD mark. C Diff isn't the only bug that can be resistant to Flagyl. I got an overgrowth of Citrobacter freundii from it, which is resistent to most antibiotics. In my case, the numbness of the hands, sometimes a foot, upon waking as an adverse reaction lasted abt a year I think....The good news is you can still lead the life of a normal...I completely control my D with fiber, low sugar diet, grapefruit seed extract & some other natural products. Things WILL get better. I hope today goes well!Talissa

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was given Flagyl when I got c-diff. It did make me feel very sick though. As Angry Op says, you need to be re-tested after the course as the spores can hatch. Touch wood, I got rid of the c-diff after the first course of treatment. Thanks again Talissa for all the help with the probiotics - I'm still taking them!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well my stool studys all come back in normal ranges even before the dose of flagyl my gi doc maby c-diff and gave me the meds before stool studys came back!!But my 24 hr fecal fat study is a little hi i will know today as what he has found on my biopys!!!Iam stressed and scared and keeping my fingers cross that everything is ok and the inflammation is nothing bad and will go away in time..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all iam on right now is fiber and xanaxs for my axiety as well i seen a nero doc for the numbness and they ran some labs a ana and sed rate and they where normal not showing inflammation kinda weird how the labs show nothing of inflammtion but my biopys do...

·
Banned
160 Posts
Bear in mind that the doses of flagyl used to treat something like giardia (which is not a bacterium) are significantly higher than that used for run-of-the-mill bugs. So this would have some effect on the individual response. Personally, I was on a 14 day course of flagyl a few weeks ago (3 X 200mg, as I recall), and had no ill effects at all - but nor did it help me, either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Opposite result for me. The only time that my IBS symptoms have completely disappeared in the past few years was when my doc put me on Flagyl. The symptoms would come back about 5 days after finishing the Flagyl. We tried it three times..... same result, I felt fantastic when I was on the Flagyl and for a few days after. Then it all came back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.