Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in finding out what types of unsuccessful experiences people have had with Lotronex: How did it not work for you?Did it just not stop your diarrhea? How long were you on it? Dosage, and how often did you take it?Or, did you you experience side effects that outweighed the positives?Or, something else?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Didn't stop the diarrhea and I actually saw an increase in D with it the second time I was on it and at both dosages.. the starter and then double that...(The "second time" means after it was returned to the market after being pulled in 2000. In 2000 it worked like a charm.. stopped the D completely within a day or two.) They will swear they didn't change the formula.... but.. I do not know how else to explain why it worked perfectly the 1st time I used it and it made things worse the 2nd time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh. What a shame. I would be livid if I were you.Yeah. I just tried it and no stopping of diarrhea. Actually, I found an increase in pain, D and an unbelievable amount of gas. I had no idea a person could produce so much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been taking Lotronex since Sept. 09.....was up to the 2 mgs a day allowed. It helped the D somewhat but did not help with pain and bloating....if anything made it worse. Now I take .5 mg a day along with 30 mg of codiene at bedtime since Jan and have seen more of an improvement than in the last year. I am seriously thinking about D/Cing the Lotronex but will wait until an appt I have in June. I do believe they changed the formula since it was pulled as people are not having the success they had orginally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also took Lotronex back in 2000 and it worked great from what I remember. My doctor and I talked about possibly starting it again. Reading about your problems, I'm a little hesitant. I'm afraid that ti will make my problem worse. How long did you take it before it started making your problems worse?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Kritch.. hey ya never know til you try. You could be helped by it again. I would give it the college try. As far as when it began to make things worse for me??? I think I remember I could tell within fairly quickly that things were worse.. just took wanted to keep trying it hoping it was just a fluke.. but.. we tried for I think a total of 3 months and then I gave up. But really you could be different. In fact I hope you are! I would love to hear it is working for someone. So give it some serious consideration.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Didn't do much for me. I took the 15-20 day free trial of .5mg's. It helped very, very slightly with the morning urgency that I get but nothing that Imodium wouldn't do and without health insurance the stuff would cost around $500/month. Imodium works much better at 1/10th the cost.I have to disclose that I'm a male so that may be why it didn't work well for me.I'm hoping the Asimadoline phase 3 trial goes well so that I can give that a try. Looks very promising for both male/female sufferer's.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I take 1mg 2x daily max dose. It actually gives me 17 seconds more time to get to a toilet, used to be 3 seconds. Believe me 20 seconds is Great compared to what it used to be. Still sucks but hey 20 seconds is better. I also take Librax 3x daily and it helps a little bit too. Anxiety and stress are my triggers. I'm trying for SSI disability right now, it's my last hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also tried Lotronix with no decrease in diarrhea, but had much more abdominal pain, severe pain. I stopped taking it, didn't see the need in taking something with those side effects and no decrease in diarrhea. So, back to square one for me. Have appointment to go see doctor at Emory University, in Atlanta on September 29th. I don't even want to go because I don't feel they will help me. Can't decide whether to go or not.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can honestly say that 0.5 mg of Lotronex and day is helping control the severe IBS-D. As I stated earlier in the worst of it 2 mgs did not help manage it but over time 2 years all most now things are calming down alittle and I am only taking 0.5mg daily with 30 mg codiene at night. Maybe time is the only cure and in between you just have to try to manage your symptoms as well as you can. It is a very difficult thing this IBS and I hope one day I will be rid of it !! Or have it the way I used to when it was just an inconvinecne but totally managable. Now it is just better that how horrible I have now experienced it can be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was prescribed Lotronex back in 2005. I do not remember the dosage, it wasn't very much. I took it for several months before finally giving up on it.It made me way too constipated. For a while I didn't mind the uncomfortableness from being constipated, it seemed better than the embarrassment of diarrhea.But after a while it started making me sick. I went from one extreme to the other. I remembered my doctor telling me that elderly people can't take it because its sostrong that some have died from it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.