Yes, completely, I am cured515.63%
I am not cured, but I am in control and feeling good515.63%
Marginally better, but more or less still sucks1031.25%
Not at all...just as awful as ever1237.50%

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Curious if any of you actually were able to control your IBS to the point where you no longer had a beer gut, didn't have to cause a scene when you went out to eat to make sure the food wasn't poison, and were pretty much close to symptom free.If you have been successful, share HOW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello volatile,I was successful in curing IBS (symptom-free since 4 months) but only after a very long time of frustration and resignation. Then my problems became much worse (I thought they already were bad enough) and I HAD to do more than I had done so far. A long time ago, a very experienced doctor (former head of a large hospital department for GI disorders with literally decades of experience with GI patients) told me that for my type of disorder there wasn't a cure..once the "programming" of the gut went astray, it was virtually impossible to correct. I had not much of an option than to believe him, since all my other efforts with alternative medicine (and allopathy) had been negative so far. I did not really believe there was a cure anymore.When I finally went to an ayurvedic therapist many years after, I really felt understood for the first time (in 20 years). Every medicine has its limits, and I am not trying to discredit allopathic medicine. There are things it is very good for (acute and life threatening disorders, for instance), but chronic disorders is generally not one of them, at least in my humble view. My take is, do not be discouraged and look elsewhere. The "re-programming" of the gut after all was possible in my case, and I am sure will be for others. My very positive experience with ayurveda is posted on this forum (I do not know if I can place a permanent link to another topic, but you can use the search function ("ayurveda") if you are interested).I wish you all the best despite all the anger and frustration you may feel right now. For IBS, I am sure there is a way for you to get better, as there was for me.-----------------post has been edited by author

·
Registered
253 Posts
IBS-D and SIBO with chronic Stevens Johnson Syndrome. . . I take specialized probotics to replace my missing bifidobacterium species for two weeks a month. Then one week of heavy Tetracycline. The one week off. I eat only organic food and avoid any processed nonorganic grains. I take the calcium and Vit D supplements. I also take Lysine, a multi-v, minerial suppliments, tea cleanses now and then and freshly ground flaxseed. I drink an organic fruit smoothie everyday with walnuts and pineapple. I eat organic fiber bars every morning or eat an organic fiber cereal with organic soy or almond milk. I avoid all dairy, coffee, pop, sugar, processed foods and alcohol. (I do cheat now and again but pay for it.) When gasy, I take GasX. If I get diarrhea or have to travel a long way/fly, I take Imodium. Sometimes when I am achy and cannot sleep, I take a Valium. I am also going to go to a teaching hospital at the end of this month to see if my gut can be repaired and the flora restored. There is some very strange and new research out there. I have terrible diverticulosis and wonder if having that portion of my colon removed would help the pain. . . don't know. I wonder if a fecal transplant or enemas with that missing good bacteria would restore my health and ability to eat out and eat crazy again or at least not worry so much and have "episodes". Whatever I find, I always post here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am now symptom free, but I don't know that I had IBS in the first place. The doctors called it that - not me.What I know is that I had extreme food intolerance and was losing 1 kilo in weight each week.I got over it when I discovered that my brain was causing all this mischief, and that there was nothing physically wrong. The two books that saved me were "Healing Back Pain - the mindbody connection" by John Sarno AND "The power of the subconscious mind" by Joseph Murphy.Jackmat

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Began taking a flavonoid supplement to control my cholesterol. It ended up also controlling my D. It turns out that my 10 years of IBS/GERD seems to have been directly linked to inflammation from smoking. Flavonoids have anti-inflammatory properties. Not cured, but no big thing since the end of 1999.Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have things under control, but only after a long road made up of trying several medications, educating myself about diet, and sheer trial and error. I've had IBS since I was 11, and I'm 20 now. I probably have a bona fide attack/episode about once every two or three months with the occasional episode of lesser pain in between, and I have a pretty fast-paced life in college.-25mg of amitriptyline, daily; helps with daily discomforts, reduces that "full" feeling I'd get after eating just a normal amount of food, may be contributing to decreased frequency of attacks.-0.125mg of hyomax taken as-needed during attacks; it drastically reduces diarrhea/cramping within 15-30 minutes. I try to only take it when I absolutely need it, because I don't want it to stop working from overuse.-Low-fat diet and avoidance of my common trigger foods (high-fat food, food high in artificial flavoring/coloring/preservatives, etc.) supplemented by a multivitamin and an Ensure Plus shake every night. Fortunately, I don't seem to have a problem with dairy or gluten. I also avoid eating before high-pressure events (like my a cappella group's concerts that require me to be onstage for ~45 minutes at a time) and instead eat afterwards.-Cognitive behavioral therapy, which really helped me get through my senior year of high school and taught me a lot about coping and reducing the cycle of setting off IBS due to fear of setting off IBS.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Volatile - well done for starting this thread and poll. It is really encouraging to read the postive stories of people who have at least comtrolled their condition as it not only provides hope but really useful ideas for others to try.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
How'd you figure that out?Vicky
No doubt he realised that sugar products triggered his symptoms and then he probably tried eliminating sugar from his diet and got better. Many people who have been diagnosed with IBS are in fact intolerant to certain foods like dairy, gluten, fructose etc. for example.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My IBS is in the process of being cured. Like I said in my other thread "IBS in the Mind" that I have found a cure for IBS. I am consuming certain herbs that are grown naturally. The treatment works for first 40 days. If 40 days does not work then the following prescription should last for exactly 4 months. Success rate is 100%. The only reason why I am not mentioning the name of that herb for now is because I do not want to be liable if it does not work for someone. That's why I am testing it on myself first. It has been 4 days and i have been symptom free 99% of the time. The side effects are that I am having constant boner throughout my sleep at night and I have alot of energy throughout the day. It is also helping with my anxiety.I will reveal the name in about a month. Feel free to message me and I will help you out personally but I do not want to be liable on the forum, just in-case something goes wrong but the chances of that are slim to none.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.