Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new mom, my daughter is 8 months this 11th. I wanted to know who else had children expecially a young infant and how you cope when you just have to be in the bathroom?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I do not have my own child , but young grand children and am sorry to say I do not baby sit too much because of IBS D. When the child was young, I would just bring the baby carrier and put it in the bathroom, gross, but what else can you do?? Now that they are older , 4 and Iyr. and just cannot cope anymore, so all are mad at me and donot come around. They think IBS is in my head and that I use it as an excuse to get out of doing things.Too bad, but you cannot leave a small child out in another room all alone, nor do you want them to see you on the toliet retching in pain, let alone see all the other gross things going on.. and you know kids, they will talk about it right at the dinner table!!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I do not have my own child , but young grand children and am sorry to say I do not baby sit too much because of IBS D. When the child was young, I would just bring the baby carrier and put it in the bathroom, gross, but what else can you do?? Now that they are older , 4 and Iyr. and just cannot cope anymore, so all are mad at me and donot come around. They think IBS is in my head and that I use it as an excuse to get out of doing things.Too bad, but you cannot leave a small child out in another room all alone, nor do you want them to see you on the toliet retching in pain, let alone see all the other gross things going on.. and you know kids, they will talk about it right at the dinner table!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
My kids are older now (12, 11, 8) but I remember very clearly what it was like sitting in the bathroom with my daughter screeming in her crib. As long as I knew she was safe and couldn't get hurt I was OK. You are better off leaving them in their crib or somewhere that they can't get hurt. Its still hard to relax when they are screaming but just try to remember it won't last forever, well, at least until the next IBS bout. Good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My kids are older now (12, 11, 8) but I remember very clearly what it was like sitting in the bathroom with my daughter screeming in her crib. As long as I knew she was safe and couldn't get hurt I was OK. You are better off leaving them in their crib or somewhere that they can't get hurt. Its still hard to relax when they are screaming but just try to remember it won't last forever, well, at least until the next IBS bout. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2 yr old and remember clearly that I used to sit her on the landing with some toys (with a stair gate at top of stairs) - I would be able to talk to her from the bathroom so she'd be ok. Nowadays it's actually helping with her potty training as every time I have to go she goes too! As you baby gets older, it'll get easier to cope with this problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2 yr old and remember clearly that I used to sit her on the landing with some toys (with a stair gate at top of stairs) - I would be able to talk to her from the bathroom so she'd be ok. Nowadays it's actually helping with her potty training as every time I have to go she goes too! As you baby gets older, it'll get easier to cope with this problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank god, it doesn't seem that bad as long as i have a safe place to put her while i'm having a bout, i guess i just gotta suck it up and be strong after the attack too. Makes me feel better that alot of you have kids also.Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank god, it doesn't seem that bad as long as i have a safe place to put her while i'm having a bout, i guess i just gotta suck it up and be strong after the attack too. Makes me feel better that alot of you have kids also.Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.