Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy (or gal) seems to have an answer for everything! Shoots down everything anyone says. We all have different opinions, different experiences and different things that work. We should all be allowed to post what we have found to work, what we have been advised to do without feeling like someone will come behind us and shoot us down. This board is a great help and can be a huge source of information. Each person can decide for themselves what to listen to and what not, do a little research. Flux, can you say anything positive about anything without cutting things down? Give it a try, you might feel better! Sorry, but the attitude is getting old.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, Jenny (neighbor!)Jenny, flux has been around a *long* time, he really gets people stirred up sometimes, but he can also be a good source of information. He may not be the most diplomatic poster you'll ever see but he's more than once steered people away from stuff that could really harm them.

G

·
flux does not know what he is talking about. People do take iron supplements to increase their hemoglobin count. Men who take in too much iron either in their diet or as supplements can develop iron overload disease. Pre menopausal women are not in danger but post menopausal women are.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Flux is not a doctor, but he is well read and well informed in gastrointestinal disorders. What he lacks in tact and diplomacy, he makes up for in knowledge. If I have a serious question, he's the first one I turn to on this board. I admit he is a "little rough" around the edges, but once you've been around for a while, you tend to overlook it. He kind of grows on you, if you know what I mean.Rose

G

·
He also obstinately defends aspartame, which is so obviously dangerous for some people that we shouldn't even chance using it.He does not have IBS.He tried teaching people how to train dogs on one BB. He doesn't own a dog , never had one. He is a computer support person at a small university in Pennsylvania with access to medical books. He has a nerds expertise on finding stuff on the network, to prove whatever he has decided is true.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I never stated that people don't take iron to increase their hemoglobin count, although I don't understand the logic in doing so. A certain amount of iron is required and more when it goes low (e.g., due to bleeding) it makes sense to increase intake, but in a healthy individual doing so would just give that individual iron overload disease as you stated; it shouldn't affect their hemoglobin count. And it shouldn't give any one a high level no matter what the existing level is.I am not so much defending aspartame as I fighting off the superstititon that against it. (You could easily put mercury or fluoridated water in that sentence.)TB is trying to play (literally) the devil's advocate. (At least I think he is!) Unfortunately, he is often forced to massage the truth and fabricate to play this role.

G

·
Flux, this is not a sentence: "I am not so much defending aspartame as I fighting off the superstititon that against it."

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It should read "I am not defending aspartame as much as I am fighting off the superstition that is against it.".

G

·
Can we just all agree to disregard flux when he says something we don't like? I know by now that he does not agree with some of the treatments I have found helpful, and he phrases his advice as if it's coming from a viable source, such as a group of drs hovering around his office cubicle. As a New year's resolution: Ignore him. Perhaps he'll go away...

G

·
Flux, most of the time this new BB seems to work quicker than last years. Is this written in a different language or what? Is it just because we're not up to 2500 posts yet?Sorry to digress!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why would anyone want Flux to go away????? No one has to follow what he says. I said it before and I'll say it again, he is not holding a gun to our heads, we can make up our own minds. I value everyones input and I appreciate the time everyone spends on this board helping one another. I really don't believe Flux is here to hurt anyone and I value his opinion but it doesn't mean I have to follow all his "advice". I take acidopholis with FOS and I feel this really helps me and I think Flux thinks it doesn't work, I won't stop taking it because he feels differently than I do. I appreciate all the time he spends researching info for us. Thank you Flux. Take care, Loretta

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I don't think I said the probiotics don't work. They clearly do something: they may play a big role in reducing the risk of colon cancer and may have other benefits. Whether they are helpful for other intestinal disease, such as IBS, is unknown. People are studying this currently. Also, as I have stated the Lactobacillus GG survives gut transit and is superior to that in yougurt.

G

·
Hi Flux, you wrote "Lactobacillus GG survives gut transit and is superior to that in yougurt."Can I ask what the GG stands for? I can't find this anywhere on the bottle I'm currently taking and now I'm wondering if I don't have the right kind. Thanks...Karen

G

·
Why would you want Flux to go away? Just like any other post if you don't like it, don't read it. I've found him to be very negative at times, which bothers me because he is not going through this like we are. But I have also read alot of posts where he has been very helpful.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
TB, I missed your post. I haven't noticed any difference. But the interface is clearly better, so perhaps what's under hood is too. I don't know what they are they written in, perl, maybe.

G

·
Diversity is the mother of invention and all too often this board gets 'clickie', often targeting messages without thought. When I first came on line and found a world of people with the same exact affliction, I was dumb-founded and, at the same time so anxious to share all that I had learned. I had NO idea that this would be viewed as a "sales pitch" It was so overwhelming to me that I went out and crafted my own site. Quite often, people make assumptions that are based on traditional ideas and not so much on reason and I don't come here much because of it. When someone pitches donnatol, a known barbituate-do you ask them if they work for the pharmacy? When you see shark cartlige do you assume that he has stock in that company? Reason it out, live and let live? Several people have tried the products I use with good results-they haven't come back here because of the striking, biting comments. They are ***readers***, you'd never even know they were here nor, that they were gone. What a shame that people feel more secure with a drugist than with nature. It isn't often that i think it, but now and then, I have to wonder if folks really want out of the ibs loop. When you consider that Bentyl, Torrodal and Donnotal *all* have contraindications of chronic constipation and are known to deplete friendly bacteria, thus making the condition worse, why would you use it? Months ago, I clipped the actual text of Bentyl and placed it here. No one paid it any mind at all.------------------Good health to you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey guys...I mustve missed this posting!If I may add an afterword:Its true Flux has been with us for a very long time, at least for my duration (7months)and like some of you, Loretta, Bill, Karen, Terio etc...I appreciate the information hedisseminates...Whether or not I agree that's up to me, and I have no problems with his matter-of-fact scientific approaches to everything...they are his facts suggested to us; and its up to us to take it for whatever its worth. He belongs here just as much as anyone else in search for the answers to this IBS mystery. If something is working for you, continue doing so...Flux doesnt have the right answer to "everything"; he offers his opinion/fact readily & is very participative, And I can still make my own assessments from what Ive learned here or anywhere else.take care all.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I missed the GG post. Lactobacilus GG is a specific type of Lactobacilus. You probably won�t find it in a health food store. It comes from a company in Finland.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.