Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tons of trigger foods. My diet is basically down to baked chicken and baked potatoes, and also white rice. I was wondering if anyone else experiences the same symptoms as me and do you understand why? I can take one bite of a trigger food, and I will then belch for the rest of the evening. I will literally just burp and burp, with the taste of that food in every burp. Then if I go ahead and eat the food, I will bloat out and then sure enough, I'll have the big D, usually the next day. I do not understand all the gas though. If I eat peanut butter after 8pm, I will burp it up all night long. Does anyone else do this?runnL8

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It happens to me with foods I don't like the taste of. My theory is that my lack of desire or appetite for the foods I hate causes a reaction that gets rid of components needed to properly and easily digest the food. If I like a food, I'll digest it fine. It is very annoying when foods repeat on me. I get that with beef which I hate the taste of.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AD, but heck I crave and lust after these foods, so I guess that doesn't count for me.... Someone said that it could be a gallbladder thing. Maybe.....

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I do not understand all the gas though.
Assuming there is any gas at all, its source must logically be from the atmosphere and has nothing to do with the food.But I am wondering are you just burping or are you regurgitating? This sounds a bit similar to that condition.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 01-25-2001).]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Flux!! I know that we have different opinions on the gas issue. How could gas not have anything to do with food? I mean, my tummy is fine when I eat baked chicken, but now if I break over and eat veggies, I produce enough gas to fill a tanker
Sometimes I just burp alot and then I will have regurgitation too. I will burp a few times, then I will regurg, then I will continue to burp. I can go on and on like this for hours. Not burping continuously, but I mean the actual length of time might last all day and into the night that I will burp and taste that nasty food that I shouldn't have eaten in the beginning. Strange belly I have.....What does this sound like to you Flux?Megan

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:How could gas not have anything to do with food?
What are you eating? Pop Rocks?It doesn't sound like there is any gas. It sounds more mechanical, like habitual rumination. You could probably have manometric studies to confirm the profile. Biofeedback and breathing exercises may be of help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Has a doctor done any upper GI testing? I wonder if your gastric emptying is normal.The only time I get like that is when I have to take an unusual combination of antihistamines to control the side effects of my allergy shots. Histamine is used for various things in the stomach and when I start on that regime it screws up my tummy. In my case it is reversable when I can go off the meds.What helps control the symptoms is to take a digestive enzyme supplement at the beginning of a meal.Also do you swallow air to make yourself burp when you feel like you have to. That can be a vicious cycle as often you don't burp up all the air you swallowed, thus making you need to burp again, so you swallow air to make yourself burp, and so on. For me if I need to burp and it won't go it is better to tap on the tummy and not swallow air to stimulate the burp.K.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks K, the digestive enzyme at the beginning of the meal sounds like a good idea. I've been doing this for some time now. As for you Mr. Flux.....Yes I've been eating the heck out of Pop Rocks, they are so very tasty you know, but I am finding that the gas they are producing can be just too annoying. But that goes along with EVERY bite of food that I consume. You'd think that I would get used to the belching, pain and tenderness, the bloating, oh and the smell, but.....Let me ask you.......Do you ever fart???? Do you ever pass really, smelly, yucky, nasty old farts soon after you have eaten??? That my dear Watson, is gas produced from some offending type food. Not necessarily offending type, but I bet your gut get's offended when you introduce those delicious gas forming yummies. Well, since you and I both know that you do(I'll bet they are real loud when no one is around right)so tell me, when you pass gas do you think that it's only a figment of your imagination? And if so, does your imagination ever stink up the entire room with a toxic fume that would knock out a Grizzly Bear??? Do you ever eat a good old heaping bowl of soup beans, and then just fart away??? Do you eat Pop Rocks??? And if you do, do they cause you to fart like a mule??? Come on now Flux, you can admit it. Passing gas is as normal as breathing. It's ok to do it, and you don't have to be ashamed of it. Yes it's embarrassing, yes it can be down right raunchy, but it's OK, you're only human Flux, we all pass gas and we're all here for you. Heck my dog farts real loud and it stinks after he's consumed some of those off brand dog biscuits, maybe I should try the name brand...Oh well, it's your right as an American Citizen to be able to fart where you darned well please(canine or human, it makes no difference). Listen, it's ok. Just look at it like this and it may make it a bit easier on ya, flatulence and food, well they just kind of go together...like peanut butter and jelly, like Fred and Ginger, like stink and poop, like Bert and Ernie, like Cheech and Chong. They just belong together. Don't try and separate them old boy, they're just too strong for you. You can't break the one from the other man, it just won't work. The sooner that you learn to accept the close relationship between the two, gas and food, then the better off you will feel about the whole thing. Hey listen, I want you to do an experiment for me and then prove to yourself and the world Flux, that food, most any food, not just Pop Rocks, does really produce gas.... Take yourself a big ol' onion head, peel it and lay it to the side. Then take yourself a big ol' bowl of Pinto Beans, let cool of course, and then top off with a big ol' glass of buttermilk. Take bites of onion with your beans, then chase down with big drink of buttermilk. After you are finished, take yourself a little nap. You see, you aren't moving about, peristalsis slows down to a halt, and there you have it...TRAPPED GAS!!! OK, when you are all finished with this little experiment, then you can preach to me all day long about gas because, you will have seen the light! After that meal, you will be able to fill a whole page here with your medical jargon, but it will be a bit different than the #### that you preach about food and gas now...Your eyes will be opened to a whole new way of life Flux, you will be going around eating and farting and knowing in your heart of hearts, that it WAS that big ol' bowl of chocolate ice cream topped with syrup and nuts that is causing that wind to escape from your gut, smelly wind I might add. Until you take the first step however, and really admit to yourself that it's ok to fart like a mule in summertime after eating those beans, then I am closed to the subject. You have to help yourself Flux, no one else can do it for you.....
FACE YOUR FEARRUN TOWARD THE ROARYour friend,Megan

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
runn18,Um... the gas that you belch is generally not because of the food. The food has no gas in it to be released, and the usually way gas comes from food doesn't occur until the food gets to the colon.There is no way the gas produced by the bacteria in the colon is somehow making it all the way back through your intestines to make you belch.Also, the fart and the smell of the farts you have right after a meal are due to the food you ate 18-72 hours ago. It takes awhile for the food to get to the colon. Now eating may make you fart because your stomach tells everyone you just ate and things need to move along to make room for the newbies.Now there are functional disorders of the upper GI system that might be making you belch when you eat, but it's you that's the problem, not the food. K

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, that really does make sense, but it doesn't help me really. Even if it's not the food, I still can't eat these foods. I remember my Great-Grandma just belching all the time, she had a bad gallbladder. I dunno, I need some tests I suppose. My mom did too.I had an abdominal ultrasound a while back and the gallbladder showed up ok. Probably need further testing.I guess I went a little far on Flux, he just urked me with the Pop Rocks thing...No need to be a smart A** here at this board. All he had to do was to simplify things like you did. Thanks.......Megan

G

·
Runnl8:I suggest that you consider that peanut butter might be a serious trigger food for you. Many people have deadly allergies to peanuts in even the slightest amounts.I know that it s**ks to have to have such a small food selection. Among the huge list of things I no longer eat, is the American darling...the peanut.With wishes that your condition improves,Ken

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have the same exact symptom. Have been unable to figure it out. Read my post about my visit to Cedar Sinai. I may be onto something. I will let you know.Pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
I disagree about burbing not being caused by food - when I eat corn chips (this is gross) with salsa - two hours later I am burping those bad boys up - my boyfriend tells me that it smells like food 'almost digested'. I am not sure that the 'atmosphere' can do that. Personally, I would rather have that then the toots. They are the WORST!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh megan - watch out for starches, they can be a cause of gas. Try to put veggies in your diet (cooked at first), in order to get rid of all that starch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Runn18 -You have totally made my day - you just put into words exactly what I wanted to say for a while now. Flux is the saddest, rudest thing going. I think you are hilarious!!!!Lisa

G

·
LisaL:Your last post is totally out of line. If you don't like what someone says, there are many ways to respond without attacking them as a person.Once you become the "posting police" where does it stop? Why is your post okay, and someone else's not okay?You have a right to your opinion, as much as the next crazy post, and you can be as serious about your post as the person who you believe is dead wrong.But let's quit the personal attacks and make things a bit more civilized. No one is forcing you to either believe or respond to what someone else says. Having a definitive opinion, regardless of how absurd you believe it is, is very different that attacking another person here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi KenS...Well I knew just as soon as I posted that reply to Flux that I would get negative feedback, and ya know what, it's ok. It's ok to give advice, it's ok to be smart, it's ok to want to help others, but you know as well as I do that Flux has a way with words at times. If he had left off the smart remark about my eating pop rocks and just simply answered my question it would have been great. Is that too much to ask for or expect? Would you have answered me back by asking my if I'd been eating pop rocks? If you had, I'd have let you have it too. It's not so much a Flux thing, as it was just a plain old smart a** remark thing. I have a legitimate problem with just about every food I consume, and I don't appreciate being made fun of and being asked such a stupid question. I've been here for a long time, and I've had issues with Flux before. Heck I've taken up for Flux on many different occasions when he's been getting eaten alive! Won't be doing that any more though. I've always respected Flux and his opinions, I just can live without his dry sense of humor. Megan

G

·
Megan:I'm not sticking up for Flux. I can do without wise guy remarks also. It may be a subtle difference to some to say someone's ideas are lame rather than say that so-and-so is lame, but I think it's a huge difference.I'm not about to put up with anyone's #### and I am not suggesting that you do either.You stood up for yourself, and I only wonder why you apologized for it. I try my best not to attack people just because I am irritated. Things can easily get out of hand, unless cooler heads, or a sense of humor prevail.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi again, KenS...Look at my post more closely... Nowhere in it am I apologizing. I was only explaining
And hey, I forgot to tell you that I am sorry that you're allergic to peanuts
Or are you? You didn't really say, I just assumed you meant that you were since you don't eat peanuts anymore. I don't eat them because they give me the big D, but I'm not allergic to them and I can eat peanut butter. Just not late at night...Well, that's all......
Megan

G

·
"I guess I went a little far on Flux, he just urked me with the Pop Rocks thing..."I erroneously took this as an apology. I apologize....Oops!I don't think you went a little far. I was only referring to Lisa's post which was a bit personal, n'est-ce pas?Anyway, I am not allergic to peanuts. I avoid them because they are high in molds.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts