Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it about mornings that make them the worse for IBS? Every morning the minute I wake up, my stomach wakes up and then I am back and forth to the bathroom at least 5-6 times the first hour.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colon is not equally active all the time. It is least active during sleep.The colon then "wakes up" in the morning and has it's peak activity levels then.This happens in all people, not just IBSers, but it causes a lot of problems for people with IBS. They often have problems after meals as there is another burst of activity (the gastrocolic reflex) each time you eat as well as every morning of every day of your life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All of my teen and adult life, prior to having any GI troubles, I had a morning BM within the first hour or two after rising. Got up, had one, maybe two, cuppas, a bite to eat, and a BM. Just like clockwork.After having had colitis for 10+ years, nothing much has changed excepting the urgency, consistency, and quantity. I can go as little as one BM when on treatment, or up to a baker's dozen during one hour's time in the morning. My gut & butt still get the same AM wake up call, they just overreact now.Its a perfectly natural rhythm that gone absolutely bonkers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts