Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,I was wondering if anyone else took calcium had success then it stopped working? Pretty much the same thing is happening with Immodium with me, I have to take more and more of it!Just curious

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sage - I hope someone can answer your question, as I have the same one. I often wonder if my body is saying "Okay, you have fooled me for a full month with calcium/immodium/whatever, now I am learning to identify your countermeasures and get around them." It sounds like global thermointestinal war, but often it feels like that also. Wish I could help you. I also can't help thinking that my body is a lot smarter than I am, and that if it is so desperate to get rid of what is inside me, it's going to find a way to evacuate my system whether I take pills or not, eat trigger foods or not, or I am near a toilet or not. Lawdy, can't someone find a cure for this nonsense?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wonder the same thing. Sometimes something seems like it is working (the antidepressant I started) then doesn't.Ladies, do you notice these "slips" are around certain times of the month? No matter what I do, I seem to get IBS-D and headaches around the time I ovulate and have my period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been trying different things on my own to deal with my IBS, and I've come across an over the counter medicine that has been working pretty well for me. As a full time college student, I can't stay in my dorm all of the time, so anything I can get my hands on that does anything at all makes me happy. It's called Digestive Advantage Once Daily Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You can get it at Wal Mart and it's around 8 dollars. Hope it helps. Thank you for all of the different things that you all have posted on here to help others!!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I wish wish wish I knew the reasons for that too!!!! Several years ago I took calcium for a couple months and it worked pretty well. Not a cure but I was feeling pretty good. Then it stopped working I wonder all those things too as things seem to work for awhile then quit all the time. I could ( and do, often) cry.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I have been taking it successfully for over 8 years and it still works. I stay very consistent and when I eat out I never have lettuce or eat at salad bars. They are so filled with bacteria because of not keeping the temp right and others picking through them who may have colds or do not wash their hands after using the restroom and you all know when you are in there and see this all the time.It took a good 3 months to feel confident to tell anyone it was working for me so don't give up too soon. Also if you had to add any other meds or vitamins to this can change things and you may need to adjust the dose and consider if you really do need to take such things. There is also the fact that something else can be wrong other than IBS or Bile Salts diarrhea so always keep that in mind and see you doctor as needed.Linda

·
Registered
556 Posts
Could be a placebo, or, it could be that you're feeling better and introducing foods back into your diet that set off your IBS before the calcium.No one ever wants to admit it's what they eat though.
Can't live without certain things. If it's worth IBS, keep it up. Now, for me, Calcium never did work. I actually have been taking it for years now since I don't drink milk. I found other things that worked for me, including diet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just had another thought - you can't just take any old calcium, there are different kinds and I believe the anti-diarrheal calcium is carbonate. Check Linda's calcium post and read the label on your bottle to make sure it is the correct type.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, I took everything that LNAPE said to do and the calcium totally stopped working! I was really psyched at how great it worked and then one day it was over, it worked well for 2 months! I was just wondering what everyone else thought

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same problem here. I took Calicum religiously, and for two years I felt I was cured. Then all of a sudden, it just quit working. I even tried doubling the amount of calcium, but that didn't do any good. The doctor couldn't answer my question as to why it stopped working either.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Have any of you who had the calcium stop working have your thyroid checked. This has a very important roll in the calcium connection also and getting diarrhea.Linda

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, the calcium has worked for me for couple of months and then stopped. In fact, it actually made things worse for me. Now I take psullium husk (4 pills, 3 times a day) and elavil. Seems to keep things much better (though far from perfect). What was that about thyroid? Should I get mine checked? Could they be causing my D??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that it stopped working for! I have IBS-D and does anyone else ever worry that it could lead to something else? Do people start out with IBS then it goes to Colitus or Chrons?

·
Registered
438 Posts
My doc assures me that IBS does not lead to cancer or Crohn's. That being said, I have no knowledge about how new this disease is, if it is in fact a new phenomenon. (That is one of my eternal questions - did this condition exist decades ago and nobody ever talked about it? Or is it caused by something new?) So, if it is new, how do they know what it leads to or not? And further, I now have two perianal fistulas, which my surgeon says could be caused by chronic diarrhea, and maybe not. My confidence in the science and practice of medicine has taken a steep nosedive in the last several months. Nobody knows anything, and we just stay sick, or get sicker. I'm fed up with the whole shebang, and ready to spit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.