Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!I just got back from my summer holiday. I went camping (yes... camping... in a tent... 400yds from the toilet block...). I was terrified. I was so scared of neading the toilet when we were out somewhere, in the car, on the beach... yet I was the best I've been for about a year! I felt largely okay. There were a few times when I needed to find a toilet, but there wasn't that sense of urgency that has been so common for so long... I was sick half way down the field once, but that was pretty much it for the whole week! And I was eating such junk! I went to cornwall... the home of cream teas, cornish pasties (which I confess I didn't eat, but I did eat croissants), fish & chips, fudge and ice cream. We went out for dinner almost every night... and I wasn't holding back... I had a great time!However, now I'm home, things have got worse again... and I'm trying to figure out why. My diet has been better since I have been home (only a few days now), I'm eating much more fruit and veg, and much less fat and sugar.... but I feel so ill... particularly like I'm going to vomit any second... I don't think it's stress related, because if I was going to be ill due to stress, it would have been last week... lets face it, going away and being confined in a tent in british weather 24/7 with your boyfriend is going to send tempers flying and be stressfull... isn't it? And I'm not back at work yet, I have another few days off before starting work again... so I don't think I'm particularly worried about that... I am house hunting though, and my boyfriend has kinda left organising viewings to me (but I work part-time and he is full-time, it makes sense to do it this way).So... has anyone got any ideas why I feel so bad now that I am in the comfort of my own home, not at work, and eating better?Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading it all, and any advice/ideas would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are the fruits you eating of the high in sorbitol list (apples, pears, peaches plums)?Some people do find fruits and veggies are bothersome and need to find the right ones and the right amounts to maintain health but limit symptoms.With the sorbitol fruits eating the cooked will help. Some people do better with cooked rather than raw veggies.Sounds like fat and sugar are not your triggers...everyone has different triggers.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are the fruits you eating of the high in sorbitol list (apples, pears, peaches plums)?Some people do find fruits and veggies are bothersome and need to find the right ones and the right amounts to maintain health but limit symptoms.With the sorbitol fruits eating the cooked will help. Some people do better with cooked rather than raw veggies.Sounds like fat and sugar are not your triggers...everyone has different triggers.K.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
When you're not at home,then you are on the "distraction" mode and you move more.The distraction mode help to think at something else than the pain.When you move more than a coach patatoe your bowel works better.Also,the foods "intolerance" eventually needs a daily diary.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
When you're not at home,then you are on the "distraction" mode and you move more.The distraction mode help to think at something else than the pain.When you move more than a coach patatoe your bowel works better.Also,the foods "intolerance" eventually needs a daily diary.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Accurate post is'nt it?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Accurate post is'nt it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with kmottus, it's possible for "healthy" foods to be as much as a trigger as junk food. I know that for myself, foods with alot of insoluable fiber (ie. some fruits and veggies, especially those with skin) are what get to me. Everyone is different, but it would be worth trying to take some of these foods out of your diet to see if it helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with kmottus, it's possible for "healthy" foods to be as much as a trigger as junk food. I know that for myself, foods with alot of insoluable fiber (ie. some fruits and veggies, especially those with skin) are what get to me. Everyone is different, but it would be worth trying to take some of these foods out of your diet to see if it helps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know with me when I would binge on food after having a good diet the remainder of the week, the effects of the "bad" food would not show up until days later. Like when I was in college and wanted some Taco Bell on Friday evening I would eat a Mexican Pizza and feel fine on Sat, Sun, and Monday but I would get sick on Tuesday morning. I was IBS A - C predominant so the C probably slowed the reaction time down. Maybe you are similar?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know with me when I would binge on food after having a good diet the remainder of the week, the effects of the "bad" food would not show up until days later. Like when I was in college and wanted some Taco Bell on Friday evening I would eat a Mexican Pizza and feel fine on Sat, Sun, and Monday but I would get sick on Tuesday morning. I was IBS A - C predominant so the C probably slowed the reaction time down. Maybe you are similar?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yellowstar,This is probably going to sound "way out there" but when I read your post I could identify totally. EXCEPT, I firmly believe the resurgance of the condition has absolutely nothing to do with food.For example, when I go "back home" (about 400 miles away)to visit my family, I can eat and do virtually anything I want with no second thought to my gut. Completely healthy, life is great, etc. I also get this feeling fairly regularly on Friday afternoons or at church on Sunday mornings. Why?Well, I think it's all about work, stress, etc. While on vacation I never give this place a second thought and the freedom is profound. BUT, when I get back, I'm still pretty good until about 24 hours before I have to go back to work. My conclusion is..it's work and not having the distraction of something positive. (Oh, did I mention I work as a therapitst in an all male, maximum security prison?)Anyway, it's just a thought but I think it's more about what I'm putting in my head than my mouth.Be encouraged. It's my understanding there is no IBS in Heaven.Godspeed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yellowstar,This is probably going to sound "way out there" but when I read your post I could identify totally. EXCEPT, I firmly believe the resurgance of the condition has absolutely nothing to do with food.For example, when I go "back home" (about 400 miles away)to visit my family, I can eat and do virtually anything I want with no second thought to my gut. Completely healthy, life is great, etc. I also get this feeling fairly regularly on Friday afternoons or at church on Sunday mornings. Why?Well, I think it's all about work, stress, etc. While on vacation I never give this place a second thought and the freedom is profound. BUT, when I get back, I'm still pretty good until about 24 hours before I have to go back to work. My conclusion is..it's work and not having the distraction of something positive. (Oh, did I mention I work as a therapitst in an all male, maximum security prison?)Anyway, it's just a thought but I think it's more about what I'm putting in my head than my mouth.Be encouraged. It's my understanding there is no IBS in Heaven.Godspeed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interestingly enough, stress reactions can be of two types. The first is the immediate "fight or flight" sort which kicks in anytime you perceive yourself to be in emotional or physical danger. This is pretty instinctual and harks back to when we were all cave people being chased by sabre tooth tigers.
The other stress reaction is similar in that you get the same sort of physical reaction of anxiety and panic, but triggers can be an event in the future you are worrying about; or something that has happened in the [not so distant] past.You've had quite a stressful time: you've gone on holiday (but survived and it sounds like you had a great time :-D) and you're thinking about a new home. Looking for a new place, then the move itself is one of the top stressors that people experience. Maybe you are worrying about money too? Do you really want to move? What could be worrying you about moving? About change? As for work: well...only you know if there's anything there that might be worrying you. Then you have to factor in other things that are out of your control: for example, your hormones and the whole menstrual cycle.You said you feel safer at home: it might be because you *are* at home (and therefore you don't have to put a brave face on things) that your anxiety pops up in the way it is doing. It could happen at work, at a restaurant, in the car - anyplace - for you, it's at home.So: yes, it's entirely possible for there to be a gap between a stress reaction and physical symptoms. Figure out what might be worrying you.Ask the dr. to give you a check up just to make sure there's no physical reason why you should be feeling as if you are going to vomit - there could be a range of things causing it(and not all bad, so don't worry about that!)and that way, if you get the all clear, you can think about tackling your anxiety.Those cream teas sure sounded nice though
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interestingly enough, stress reactions can be of two types. The first is the immediate "fight or flight" sort which kicks in anytime you perceive yourself to be in emotional or physical danger. This is pretty instinctual and harks back to when we were all cave people being chased by sabre tooth tigers.
The other stress reaction is similar in that you get the same sort of physical reaction of anxiety and panic, but triggers can be an event in the future you are worrying about; or something that has happened in the [not so distant] past.You've had quite a stressful time: you've gone on holiday (but survived and it sounds like you had a great time :-D) and you're thinking about a new home. Looking for a new place, then the move itself is one of the top stressors that people experience. Maybe you are worrying about money too? Do you really want to move? What could be worrying you about moving? About change? As for work: well...only you know if there's anything there that might be worrying you. Then you have to factor in other things that are out of your control: for example, your hormones and the whole menstrual cycle.You said you feel safer at home: it might be because you *are* at home (and therefore you don't have to put a brave face on things) that your anxiety pops up in the way it is doing. It could happen at work, at a restaurant, in the car - anyplace - for you, it's at home.So: yes, it's entirely possible for there to be a gap between a stress reaction and physical symptoms. Figure out what might be worrying you.Ask the dr. to give you a check up just to make sure there's no physical reason why you should be feeling as if you are going to vomit - there could be a range of things causing it(and not all bad, so don't worry about that!)and that way, if you get the all clear, you can think about tackling your anxiety.Those cream teas sure sounded nice though
Best of luck to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.