Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I am now into my 3rd month with this awful IBS flareup. For the last 10 days, the pain has been almost relentless, moving around in my gut, sides, flank, and back with no complete relief. However, one specific area that occurs frequently is a sharp almost twisting pain in my back on the right side, kinda below the ribcage area. It ususally hits me right when I get up from bed or sitting in a chair. If I press on the area, I don't feel pain. It is movement based. Could this be my colon twisting? Anyone have this symptom too?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you had your back checked to make sure you don't have a spine/muscle/pinched nerve issue?That isn't the most typical colon pain location, and sounds more like a back problem to me.If you've had your back and kidneys checked out (as they are back there, but I think not so hurt just when I move this particular way) and everything with both of those is fine I suppose it could be from the IBS, but with those specific moves bothering it I'd have the back checked and at minimum you may need to do some work to strengthen the muscles back there. Hopefully it isn't anything serious back there, but sometimes we don't use those muscles enough then they get weak and get hurt then we use them even less and it can be a big issue until you get it strengthened up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had your back checked to make sure you don't have a spine/muscle/pinched nerve issue?That isn't the most typical colon pain location, and sounds more like a back problem to me.If you've had your back and kidneys checked out (as they are back there, but I think not so hurt just when I move this particular way) and everything with both of those is fine I suppose it could be from the IBS, but with those specific moves bothering it I'd have the back checked and at minimum you may need to do some work to strengthen the muscles back there. Hopefully it isn't anything serious back there, but sometimes we don't use those muscles enough then they get weak and get hurt then we use them even less and it can be a big issue until you get it strengthened up.
Hi Kathleen,I'm quite confident that it is directly related to my IBS because the pains started the same time as my other IBS problems. And sometimes it does let up after I release a ton of gas. I reported having the same kind of pain in this area last year, and it went away when my IBS cleared up. I would think a pinched nerve or kidney problem would be constant.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys,I am now into my 3rd month with this awful IBS flareup. For the last 10 days, the pain has been almost relentless, moving around in my gut, sides, flank, and back with no complete relief. However, one specific area that occurs frequently is a sharp almost twisting pain in my back on the right side, kinda below the ribcage area. It ususally hits me right when I get up from bed or sitting in a chair. If I press on the area, I don't feel pain. It is movement based. Could this be my colon twisting? Anyone have this symptom too?
Hi - I get pain in that exact same place just on my left side. I have had IBS for 25 plus years and have always gotten pain there when my IBS is flared. Mine feels like a hard muscle spasm - which is may be - but I notice it way more when my stomach is messed up. My sister gets it too and she is a long time sufferer too.MaryAnn Oh, and mine moves around too - its awful !!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.