Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,I wanted to wish everyone a happy holiday! I have been suffering from IBS-D for 4 years now and all I do is pray that a new drug will be created to make me feel better! In any event, I find that I now have to take more and more Immodium Advanced! I used to be able to take 4 to bind me up but now I have to take 6? I also occaissionly take Lomotil also?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm wondering about this as well. I'm afraid my body will become tolerant. I had about 2 or 3 "good" days so I made the mistake of having coffee, cocoa, and dinner with cream sauce. I paid for it the last 2 days. This morning I had to take Imodium also.I find the imodium makes it able for me to not go but the urge is still there as well as discomfort/pain in the abdomen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes KAD,I find the same thing! I used to be able to take 4 Immodium and that would bind me up for 3 days and now I have to take 5 a day! I'm so sick of living like this, I'm not even 30yrs old, are there any drugs in the pipeline for IBS-D

·
Registered
7 Posts
i too take immodium . it seemed to work well for the first year then not so well as time passed. i take a couple a day now but even that does not always do it. just started a new med called sulfasalasine 500mg. started yesterday and really hope this works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry....when i said "new" i meant new to me. I dont know if it is new to the market or not.I will keep all informed on my experiance with it.I am at the end of day two now and have only had a little more cramping and a constant "full" feeling. Cant find any info on how long it takes this drug to become effective.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah I find that my body is slowly becoming more tolerant to imodium and i have to take nearly a whole packet some times to get it to work properly. I know I have been to reliant on it, and now im on holidays for 6 weeks im going to try and not take it at all, i have become so reliant at work!!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Heya, i've had IBS for about 2 and a half years now and until very recently, if i took 1 imodium in the morning i'd be fine for the rest of the day with no worries unless i ate something that would set it off. Recently though in the past 3 months i've found that if i don't take 2 in the morning it doesn't work and now i'm getting pain aswell. Until very recently my IBS was extremely mild but now it's getting worse and it just gets on my nerves so badly.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had built up quite a tolerance to Imodium and had to take a good amount to slow things down several years ago. Then I went on Lotronex and took maybe 2 during that time. Then it was off the market for a while and I didn't need as much Imodium after that break from it. Of course I went right back on Lotronex as soon as it came back on the market, partially through the efforts of sufferers like me.There are several drugs for IBS-D. Lotronex was literally life-changing for me. You can read about it and other D-drugs in the forum for D-specific drugs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From someone who takes Lotronex, what is it like to take it? How does it work and what does it do? I take Immodium now and Lomotil and it works but I feel I have been building up a tolerance?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.