Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep hearing tales of caltrate even trying it myself but what wondering what is there about caltrate that would make it work??? Finally got 3 in yesterday so we'll see. ------------------�� wherever you go there you are

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
The caltrate contains calcium carbonate which is a type of calcium that is not as easily absorbed so it remains in the intestines for a longer period of time and absorbs bile fluids (digestive fluids) and excess water to help form bulk. It works great for me and has for a year. If I stop taking it the diarrhea will return. I started with 3 a day one with each meal and now may only take one or two. But I always take it when I plan to eat out. Let me know if I can answer any of your questions. Email me so I will be sure to read themLindaLNAPE###AOL.COM

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Linda's right - the carbonate helps bind stuff up. But in addition to that effect, the calcium itself helps regulate muscle and nerve function. And we all know how important nerve and muscle function is in IBS.There were also some studies done that show women's calcium levels drop near the time of their periods, which can contribute to moodiness, diarrhea, and cramping. So calcium is important for a lot of reasons.BTW - I told my doc about the calcium, and he had never heard of any studies that deal with it's effect on IBS-D. Typical, huh? The medical community is more willing to spend research dollars on new and expensive drugs rather than a mineral we can all get off the shelf, huh?------------------Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.Missycat

·
Registered
264 Posts
Missycat..I know what you mean.. The Caltrate has only been in my local Boots for 2 days. My mother got it for me and explained to the pharmacist what it was for...she said she cannot possibly see how it could help...Really encouraging...I am going to print some of the posts here and take them to her....Do these people not do any research..???It makes one a little apprehensive when we have to educate our medical profession....Will let you know how I get on...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts