Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS for 10 years, and even after following that scam artist Heather Von Vorus for the last 5 years and her overly restrictive, and fradulent diet, I STILL have horrible symptoms which are restricting and ruining my life.I feel constantly bloated, distended. I am constipated, when I do go to the bathroom (1-3 timesa day) I usually have to strain, my stools are hard, pellet, and w/mucus occassionaly, sometimes they are soft and mushy, doesn't matter, I have incomplete evacaution and as result a pregnant gut.IBS has destroyed my life, I'm 26 years old, I workout, go to the gym, yet because of IBS I can a) not eat properly to lift effectively and
have such a hideous gut, that it completely distorts my body...all of the weight/matter in my body is trapped in my gut, while my muscles are flat and weak.I have sacrificied my life. I don't drink, which means my social life stinks. I can barely eat anything, no dairy, redmeat, fats, whole grains, and yet it is just as bad as ever.I've spent countless $$$ on Benefiber, Acidophillus, VSL 3, Align, Natural Calm, Miralax, Lactulose, Rifaxmin, Amitza.Countless people have given restrictive, contradictory advice (have more fiber...don't eat whole grains....don't stress out) and I am just fed up.I have posted a sample diet below.I also have posted my current IBS regiment, and others in past.I would like to know why my IBS still sucks, why Heather Von Vorus failed me so badly, and what if anything I can to live anormal life, not one where I am trapped inside, uncomfortable walking, and spending too much time and money on IBS products/meals which do not work.Thanks.Current IBS Regiment:1) 2 TSP Benefiber 2X daily2) 1 Jarrowdophillus Acidophillus pill 2X daily3) Just started .5 TSP Natural Calm4) CBT5) Depakote (1500)+Luvox (50)Past IBS Remedies:1) Amitza2) Rifaximin3) Zelnorm4) Lorazapam5) VSL 36) Align (made things MUCH worse)7) Lactulose

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Monday Breakfast-Quick Grits (1/4 cup) w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter-Smoothe (.5 cup Cranberry Juice+15 grams BCAA powder+.5 cup mixed berries)Lunch-3 oz Deli Chicken on Kaiser Roll-1 oz Baked Lays Ruffle Chips-Cup of PeachesPre-workout-Shake (.5 cup Cranberry Juice+1 scoop Egg Protein+1 scoop Yammit+1 tsp Glutamine)-French RollPost-workout-Shake (.5 cup Cranberry Juice+1 scoop Egg Protein+1 scoop Yammit+1 tsp Glutamine)-1 oz Pretezels (NO HFCS)Dinner-5 oz Chicken Breast-1.5 servings Nathan's Baked French Fries-.5 cup Chopped Frozen SpinachMidnight Snack-5 oz chicken breast-.5 cup canned carrots-10 saltine crackers-HummusMacros:Calories: 2847 Fat: 46 Carbs: 416 Sugars:168 Fiber:24Protein: 186

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuesday 8 AM-2 cups Crispy Rice CerealBreakfast-Quick Grits (1/4 cup) w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter-Smoothe (.5 cup Cranberry Juice+15 grams BCAA powder+4 strawberries)Lunch-3 oz Deli Chicken on Kaiser Roll-.5 cup canned carrots-.5 cup French Style canned green beansAfternoon Snack-3 oz Deli Chicken on Kaiser Roll-2 oz pretzels-1 cup canned peachesDinner-4 oz Haddock Filet-1 Baked Potatoe w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter-.5 cup Chopped Frozen Spinach-10 saltine crackers w/hummusMidnight Snack-1 can of pink salmon-3 gluten/dairy free trader joes pancakes-15 saltine crackersMacros:Calories: 2644 Fat: 46 Carbs: 371 Sugars:72 Fiber:22Protein: 161

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wednesday 8 AM-2 cups Crispy Rice CerealBreakfast-Quick Grits (1/4 cup) w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter-Smoothe (.5 cup Cranberry Juice+15 grams BCAA powder+4 strawberries)Lunch-3 oz Deli Chicken on Kaiser Roll-1 cup canned peaches-.5 cup French Style canned green beansAfternoon Snack-1 oz 99% FF Ground Turkey Meat-2 oz pretzelsPre-Workout-Shake (.5 cup cranberry juice+1 scoop Egg Protein+1 scoop Yammit+1 tsp Glutamine)Post-Workout-Shake (.5 cup cranberry juice+1 scoop Egg Protein+1 scoop Yammit+1 tsp Glutamine)Dinner-4 slices of Pizza (Mama Mary's 12 inch thin crust+tomatoe sauce+99% FF ground turkey meat...NO dairy)-.5 cup Chopped Frozen SpinachMidnight Snack-5 oz 99% FF Ground Turkey-10 saltine crackersMacros:Calories: 3156 Fat: 55 Carbs: 466 Sugars:149 Fiber:22Protein: 192

·
Registered
76 Posts
Benefiber is wussy as far as fibers go. Trust me, it's like trying to take down a tank with slingshot. Try getting metamucil. Take two teaspoons at night before bed and you should see a big big difference (if it's too harsh make it less, or two little increase it more).When I had IBS C (I'm D at the moment) I would have half a magnesium tab with every meal to wet things up, so that's one other option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Volatile,I feel so bad for you. That looks to me like a VERY un-healthy diet. I don't have any answers for you right now, as I'm just beginning to fight my battle. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. Thank you for posting that diet though, I was considering buying her book but not now!

·
Registered
476 Posts
tjessperson,Look on Heathers site for yourself to see what her recommendations are.There are many people who have been helped by following her principles.Of course there are many that have not but we are all different.Everyone needs to find their own methods.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we all do not make a living off being an IBS guru.We do not have degrees in medicine or expertise in a related field.We go to and follow gurus, self proclaimed, like Heather, hoping to improve our lives.Then when it fails, where is Heather and other's with advice?Thai, I am flat out flabergasted at how YOU pin this on me and my attitude.My attitude is anger because I am sick of these shitty results despite listening to YOU people on .., you people who are OUT OF TOUCH with being a guy in his 20s.I have lived most of my 20s being a hermit like a 50 year old menapasual women BECAUSE I followed the lifestyle recommened by .. and her sheep.And you know what I got...NOTHING.Why does my IBS suck?What I am doing wrong and what can I do to FINALLY get some relief?Try metamucil...ok I will.My diet is bad...how...it follows what EFI said.Attitude...nope...attitude is a RESULT OF IBS and IBS FAILURE TO IMPROVE.....IBS IS NOT A RESULT OF MY ATTITUDE.I just am fed up, fed up with time, energy, effort for nothing so far and I want answers/explanations/results NOW!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I didn't do any good on Heather's diet either. There seems to be a sub set of IBS sufferers who do badly on her high carb diet approach. I'm definitely in the high protein, low carb, low grain camp. It would seem to be a good diet for gym junkies too as the high protein aspect is good for muscle growth and gives you even energy levels throughout the day.I'm not a 26 year old guy but I work out in the gym when the winds not blowing (windsurfing) or there's no waves (surfing). I have high energy output in these sports but don't need a carb hit to do them, surprise surprise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Having read your other posts, maybe you should disregard my advice as I am a 46 year old (not menopausal but close enough for you) woman. I totally resent the implications of your former posts. I do extreme sports most days of the week and in comparison, your gym sessions would be nothing. I decided that I would not let IBS get in the way of my favorite pastimes and, guess what, it doesn't.In fact, I've discovered that the best thing for my gut is a 30 knot wind and 10 foot waves. How can the nerves in your gut compete with an adrenaline rush like that. Fact is, they can't. Even if I turn up at the beach with a gut ache, by the time I've rigged up, or whatever, it's gone and forgotten.I'm very surprised that you've stuck with Heather's diet for so long. Have you actually tried low carb/high protein?I found that none of the things she lists as "triggers" actually are for me once I cut down on the carbs.I must be doing something right. When I was in the gym last week a guy said to me "you must spend half your life here". It was a comment on my muscle tone. I was able to answer "well I actually come here very rarely - it's my other sports that keep me so fit." The other thing is that I really enjoy my life. Who wouldn't. I've logged over 80 windsurfing/surfing/wakeboarding sessions this year alone - that from a nearly menopausal woman!

·
Banned
28 Posts
Volatile I feel badly for you, and I can really sense your frustration and anger at this disease. In all honesty I've thought to myself that I am sure glad to got to enjoy my 20s, 30s, and 40s, before this thing hit me. I'm 53 now. You also seem like a high energy type of person. Me, I'm more laid back and mellow. If there is no medical solution, then you have to do your own research and find out what will work for you. And some things there are simply no human solutions to. This may be one of them--I don't know. God knows what you're struggling with. Please try to have peace. Don't give up hope.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people do well on a diet like Heathers, others do not.A recent study found some people with IBS-D did well (small study at UNC where the big internationally recognized research scientist gurus are so you may not want to pay any attention to it) on Atkins stage 1 diet.It may suit your desires better as you can have all the red meat and protein you want.Here is a link to the abstract.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19281859Now no one diet suits everyone, some people need more soluble fiber, some people do well with low carb.You might try it for ONE MONTH and ONLY ONE MONTH and see if it helps you or not.DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO IT FOR FIVE YEARS THEN COME BACK AND TELL ME IT DIDN'T WORK!!!Like they say, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity (not the medical definition, but a common thing many humans do in our life, hoping that this time we do the same thing something different will happen).http://www.aboutatkinsdiet.com/atkins_diet...atkins_menu.htm has a meal plan, and I will make a couple of comments.1. If you don't need to lose weight you may need to up portion sizes of the same foods until you get up to yout calorie needs for the day. (the protein shake things may be enough to do that, but some people find there are ingredients in all those kinds of things that bother them...be careful of low carb processed products as they tend to add sorbitol or other sugar alcohols and those can make some people very gassy, but they can loosen stools so it is a mixed bag and depends on how they effect you).2. I might substitute cooked veggies for any of the raw stuff as those tend to be easier on IBSers.3. One non-Atkins suggestion. Also from a small study in health people eating a meal with so much fat it makes any human bloat up afterward....Digestive Enzymes with PANCREATIN in them (not the all vegetarian ones, need the animal enzyme). Sometimes it helps SOME people, can't promise it will help you but it may be worht trying for A MONTH AND ONLY ONE MONTH to see if it helps.Again, do not take it for five years if it doesn't help or makes you worse and then yell at me for ruining your life, please. :(Now the study for the ATKINS diet was done for IBS-D. These kinds of diets can sometimes constipate normal people so that may not be the best idea for all people with IBS. This type of diet has only been studied (from what I know) in those with DIARRHEA PREDOMINATE IBSWe have had some on the constipated end of things do well on low carb because they bloat from gas and low carb means less bacteria food for them to make gas from. Many soluble fibers are good bacteria food so that can be why sometimes they bother SOME people (not ALL IBSers just SOME OF THEM).You may need to up osmotic laxatives (magnesium or miralax) if you find fewer carbs and less fiber more constipating.

·
Registered
476 Posts
volatile, please!!!!I did not say that your IBS was caused by your anger or attitude.I suggested that it is your anger that is stopping you from seeing results.OK, so you are having shitty results.A lot of us are, and yes our IBS sucks too!!And yes we all want answers, but we do NOT come on here ranting and raving.I know the housebound routine...been there and done that.I know the not making it to the toilet from 10 ft away.I know the not be able to go out for days, weeks, months and years on end for any kind of life.Again...a lot of us do.YOU chose to follow the diet for 5 years with no results....not me.I wouldn't do something for that long if it didn't work!!!I do understand your pain and anger.But it doesn't give you the right to yell and rant and insult people.I am angry too at my limitations.I have other conditions as well and this is not how I saw my life playing out.But it is the hand I have been dealt and I am dealing.I hope that you find your answers, I hope we all do.May you have a pain free day...or one that is a least better than the worst one you have ever had.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since it looks like this thread addresses the frustration that comes from following a diet that doesn't work-- has anyone here had any sort of success with asking their doctor for a referral to a nutritionist?I'm getting a colonoscopy this week, which I expect will confirm that I have IBS (as opposed to any of the less common causes of ongoing diarrhea and pain), and I was thinking that my next step would be to try to find a nutritionist recommended by a gastroenterologist who might be able to really lay out what I should eat, hopefully while the gastro helps with whatever can be done medically. However, from what I read, there are so many different theories about what are good and bad foods, I don't know if a professional will really have a grasp on what works. Anyone find success that way?I know that when I eat very small meals of bland food (no fat, no veggies, minimal fiber), I have LESS pain, but that has me living on rice cakes and white-bread jelly sandwiches (after avoiding sugar and "white food" for YEARS), but am dropping weight fast and getting no real nutrition. I need more help than the internet will provide in getting some balance in what I eat, and want to approach the concepts of food allergies with a pro. I will eat whatever it is that will make me better. I'll do the work. Just-- is there any way to feel confident in knowing what that is?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You don't need a referral to see a nutritionist but it may help with finding one that can do what you're after which is to experiment with your diet in a controlled fashion. Often they will put you on an Elimination diet which excludes a lot of the foods known to be more irritating or more likely to be triggers and gradually re-introduces foods to see what the effect is in a controlled way. The problem is that there can be many non diet related triggers (the simple action of eating, for example, sets the bowels in motion anyway which causes pain) and the type of food may be unfairly taking the blame. After trying high soluble fibre diets, FODMAP diets and the no starch diet and keeping a food diary, I found that the best result was from the low starch diet. So my diet is the opposite of yours. I was afraid of salad for many months but now I eat it for breakfast and dinner. I often do have some short term pain after these meals but pretty much straight away after so it's not the content but the fact of eating that kicks it off. You need to find some way of eating veggies that doesn't set you off and probably a nutritionist is a good way of doing this. But they won't know without experimentation what you should eat.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The problem with IBS is that everyone is different.I may be able to eat dairy and whole wheat but you may not.And you may be able to eat salads but they cause me pain to no end.So a nutritionist would have the devil of a time, I think???As Jillwindy says, we all need to find our way.But a nutritionist would be good to make sure that the way we find is a healthy way.For many, food, is not the issue with IBS at all!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Nutritionists really vary. Some are pretty good and helping people find the diet that works for them and others tend to have an agenda and try to stuff you into it.However, they all should be able to help you figure out what you are missing from your diet so you can work on eating the most balanced diet you can and may be able to help you find other things similar to what you know you can eat to get more variety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Miralax seems to be the rage in the medical field. If you can get a prescription it is cheaper.I also take Milk of Magnesia every day..I prefer diar to constitpation. I know I have about given up too on them figuring out my issue. I definitely couldn't eat like you did. I assume overweight is not an issue for you.Alice

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had IBS for 10 years, and even after following that scam artist Heather Von Vorus for the last 5 years and her overly restrictive, and fradulent diet, I STILL have horrible symptoms which are restricting and ruining my life.I feel constantly bloated, distended. I am constipated, when I do go to the bathroom (1-3 timesa day) I usually have to strain, my stools are hard, pellet, and w/mucus occassionaly, sometimes they are soft and mushy, doesn't matter, I have incomplete evacaution and as result a pregnant gut.IBS has destroyed my life, I'm 26 years old, I workout, go to the gym, yet because of IBS I can a) not eat properly to lift effectively and
have such a hideous gut, that it completely distorts my body...all of the weight/matter in my body is trapped in my gut, while my muscles are flat and weak.I have sacrificied my life. I don't drink, which means my social life stinks. I can barely eat anything, no dairy, redmeat, fats, whole grains, and yet it is just as bad as ever.I've spent countless $$$ on Benefiber, Acidophillus, VSL 3, Align, Natural Calm, Miralax, Lactulose, Rifaxmin, Amitza.Countless people have given restrictive, contradictory advice (have more fiber...don't eat whole grains....don't stress out) and I am just fed up.I have posted a sample diet below.I also have posted my current IBS regiment, and others in past.I would like to know why my IBS still sucks, why Heather Von Vorus failed me so badly, and what if anything I can to live anormal life, not one where I am trapped inside, uncomfortable walking, and spending too much time and money on IBS products/meals which do not work.Thanks.Current IBS Regiment:1) 2 TSP Benefiber 2X daily2) 1 Jarrowdophillus Acidophillus pill 2X daily3) Just started .5 TSP Natural Calm4) CBT5) Depakote (1500)+Luvox (50)Past IBS Remedies:1) Amitza2) Rifaximin3) Zelnorm4) Lorazapam5) VSL 36) Align (made things MUCH worse)7) Lactulose

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.