Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had any test yet.
Drs. say I could have IBS. The internet provided me more help than the Drs. have. This site is a good one. People in the know are here. My question is "Why do I get gripping pain in the lower left abdomen, any time of day or night?" Some times there is a gurgling sound in upper ab at the same time but not always. I found a book by Heather Van Vorous that helped me see that I have been eating wrong for most of this summer. Since I made some changes I don't have the "D" any more and feel better too! Thanks for any insite.------------------L.B.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
LB, I had gripping pain in my right lower ab for years and occasionally in the right upper area. The dr's said it was IBS. Bentyl and Zoloft have helped quite a bit. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
LB, I had gripping pain in my right lower ab for years and occasionally in the right upper area. The dr's said it was IBS. Bentyl and Zoloft have helped quite a bit. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Various parts of the colon may spasm with IBS. Some people's colon's tend to spasm in differnt locations, so where the pain is may vary from person to person or sometimes even in the same person at different times.Lower left is a common one.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Various parts of the colon may spasm with IBS. Some people's colon's tend to spasm in differnt locations, so where the pain is may vary from person to person or sometimes even in the same person at different times.Lower left is a common one.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
L.B welcome to the IBS Bulletin Board!
I also suffer from pain in the lower left abdominal area....so it is possible it could be IBS.Make sure you stick with your doctor until you get a proper diagnosis - but this BB is an excellent place to meet people who are going or have been through the same thing...and who can offer support and advice.Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
L.B welcome to the IBS Bulletin Board!
I also suffer from pain in the lower left abdominal area....so it is possible it could be IBS.Make sure you stick with your doctor until you get a proper diagnosis - but this BB is an excellent place to meet people who are going or have been through the same thing...and who can offer support and advice.Clair

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi L.BWelcome to the board. I do suffer with that pain , sometimes it's in the right side, sometimes the left side and sometimes it is down and up. It is due to spasms and gas acumulated . I get more reliefed when I press slightly that zone for sometime so that the gas gets out of there and begins circulating in the bowel, or gets out of it
Hope it helpsTeresa

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi L.BWelcome to the board. I do suffer with that pain , sometimes it's in the right side, sometimes the left side and sometimes it is down and up. It is due to spasms and gas acumulated . I get more reliefed when I press slightly that zone for sometime so that the gas gets out of there and begins circulating in the bowel, or gets out of it
Hope it helpsTeresa

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the BB!Same thing happens to me too... Most times the pain is in the left lower area. Its intensity varies from dull to severe (depends on the time of day). I am trying to get a grip on my IBS but I take it one day at a time... You should ask your doctor for a test and make sure that he listens to you. I am going for a colonscopy next month and will be glad when it's all over. If the results are negative, I might ask for a laparascopy (just to be on the safe side!).Hang in there! The biggest help for me has been this BB and knowing that there are other people out there who understand what I'm going through...Nat

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the BB!Same thing happens to me too... Most times the pain is in the left lower area. Its intensity varies from dull to severe (depends on the time of day). I am trying to get a grip on my IBS but I take it one day at a time... You should ask your doctor for a test and make sure that he listens to you. I am going for a colonscopy next month and will be glad when it's all over. If the results are negative, I might ask for a laparascopy (just to be on the safe side!).Hang in there! The biggest help for me has been this BB and knowing that there are other people out there who understand what I'm going through...Nat

·
Registered
185 Posts
From what two doctors told me, the lower left is the most common area to get pain assoc with IBS. The pain is probably spasms - does it feel like there's a hammer in there pounding away? Try to sit down, take some deep breaths and try to relax the colon. That almost always releives it for me. You'd be amazed how sometimes this technique is very effective, and immediate!

·
Registered
185 Posts
From what two doctors told me, the lower left is the most common area to get pain assoc with IBS. The pain is probably spasms - does it feel like there's a hammer in there pounding away? Try to sit down, take some deep breaths and try to relax the colon. That almost always releives it for me. You'd be amazed how sometimes this technique is very effective, and immediate!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a very bizarre story which explains the gripping (crippling) pain which I have suffered from. My story is in the pain/gas/bloating category under Patricia9255. Please, Please read my story and don't ever give up!!!------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a very bizarre story which explains the gripping (crippling) pain which I have suffered from. My story is in the pain/gas/bloating category under Patricia9255. Please, Please read my story and don't ever give up!!!------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I know of the colon route... the last stretch coming down to the rectum is down your left side, probably accounting for so much of the lower, left sided pain that a lot of us suffer from. I include myself in that group... I've found that lying down on your left side for awhile, during a painful attack, seems to slightly alleviate it. At least it helps move any gas along, which if building up higher, can feel like your guts are going to explode at any minute! Good luck!Tired

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I know of the colon route... the last stretch coming down to the rectum is down your left side, probably accounting for so much of the lower, left sided pain that a lot of us suffer from. I include myself in that group... I've found that lying down on your left side for awhile, during a painful attack, seems to slightly alleviate it. At least it helps move any gas along, which if building up higher, can feel like your guts are going to explode at any minute! Good luck!Tired

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Nat,I too, get the dubious honor of having the 73" cobra sleuth taking a spin thru my colon next month. Would you really request a lap if the colonoscopy is negative? I've had several laps for fertility/gyney stuff and can't imagine requesting one! Tho I guess getting the answers is more important, huh? I'm almost hoping for a colitis diagnosis, just because from what I've read, that's more treatable than IBS. God, pathetic huh? Wanna compare notes later? LOL My Dr.'s profound pearl of wisdom for the prep part of the test was to "Buy a gallon of Vaseline and lube your hoop." Imagine my joy.Good luck!Tired

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Nat,I too, get the dubious honor of having the 73" cobra sleuth taking a spin thru my colon next month. Would you really request a lap if the colonoscopy is negative? I've had several laps for fertility/gyney stuff and can't imagine requesting one! Tho I guess getting the answers is more important, huh? I'm almost hoping for a colitis diagnosis, just because from what I've read, that's more treatable than IBS. God, pathetic huh? Wanna compare notes later? LOL My Dr.'s profound pearl of wisdom for the prep part of the test was to "Buy a gallon of Vaseline and lube your hoop." Imagine my joy.Good luck!Tired

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dear B'well--Welcome. Since you haven't had any tests yet, everything is just speculation, so I'll jump in on that and wonder if you have diverticulosis. It most commonly occurs on the left. I have it on the right and it can cause terrific pain--in spite of what the dr. says. She says diverticulosis alone cannot cause pain. I disagree with her. If I eat any hard foods (raw veggies, nuts, popcorn) or any seeds at all, or too much fiber, the pain kicks up. On a barium enema it was observed that I had spasms, but only in the area where the diverticulosis is located. When you do get some tests, this would show up easily. In the meantime, avoid the foods that tend to aggravate diverticulosis and see if that makes any difference. Best wishes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.