Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my class reunion and was talking to somebody as to why I don't work and have been sick and told her i had ibs wellllllll to hear her talk she invented the disease and was the first case to walk the earth,I just shut up and got away from her, I have found this to be the norm alot either they have it worse or never heard of it and make a joke or just shrug it off.I usally don't even bring it up anymore as I don't know how to talk about it.I even lost a job because of it and they did'nt care i had to run to the bathroom it just caused alot of shift problems so I quit,most people don't even know what ibs is so how can they say they have it worse?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, just the other night I was telling a friend I hadn't seen in a while that my IBS was acting up. She said her boss has it too and all I need to do is take some Imodium. I tried to tell her she didn't understand everything I go thru with it, (how could I ever explain the leaky gas??) It is frustrating when someone doesnt understand and they think its as simple as taking something. Don't we all wish it was that simple!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Oh it is so true - it is either minimized or outdone! You can get a card made up that says the bearer of this card has a medical condition and needs to urgently use the facilities - from your gastro. Then if they pull something - they can't discriminate against you for having an illness. It is so sad that people can't understand - yet they wouldnt dare make fun if you said you had colon cancer... just because it is a functional disorder, doesnt mean it is any less painful or debilitating. I know this first hand as well.But now I just tell people if it comes into the conversation naturally, because that way it gets it into the open - luckily I don't have symptoms as severe as I once did, but you'd be surprised that many times people will have IBS and not mention it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i know what you mean ive had this happen to me loads of times especally with my friend ive known her since i first had IBS and she was the first person i told as soon as i told her she came out with practically her whole health history then said she has IBS to lol yet shes never had a day off school or one embarassing moment
also has anyone noticed with some people as soon as you mention it the other person seems to quickly change the subject a few people seem to do that with me

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also love how they all know how to treat it if they do know what it is. I would be a very rich women if I had a dollar for all the times I've been told to just take fiber, even from certain drs. grrrr..It also seems sort of ok for guys to joke about potty jokes or gas but now women, we don't get gas we fluff, I sometimes can't stand myself.I went for a job interview and the guy wanted to know why I quit my last job i started to talk about it and he changed the subject,I just tell people it's alot like haveing the flu 24/7. and most people think if the stress goes away the ibs will too, I had one creditor ask me if I had a million dollars would my ibs go away, how would I know, give me a million and let me try. I also am so tired of the same old question whats wrong now or what did you eat now.my problem is one day I can eat it and be fine and the next time watch out.most people either don't know what ibs is or have a severe case of it, but not like most of us on the board do. and most people think it will go away, I have to keep having my drs. and shrink fill out papers for medicade and it always says the same thing I would think they would have a clue it is life long we just manage it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have yet to mention IBS to anyone who knows what it is! I keep wondering if all those 20% of the population who have IBS live in another part of the country. If I watch TV, I see all these ads for medicine ("ask your doctor") for things that seem so inane, while IBS goes unmentioned and uncured. Tonight there was an ad for a pill that you can take if your eyes feel a little bit too dry. Geez, what a medical breakthrough! Someone should win a Nobel Peace prize for that one - perhaps decades of research to come up with a pill for dry eyes while 1-5 people are doubled over with cramps and "D" and "C". Then there are those ads featuring little monsters that live under your toe nails, and a medicine that (after 6 months) will get rid of the infection. While I am sure that is all very nice, once again, WHAT ABOUT IBS? It impacts 20% of the population, for heaven's sake! Our country probably spends more money on medical research to brighten and whiten teeth than it does on some serious chronic ailments.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have worked in health care for years. Most GP's I know will call any repeated abdo pain "IBS". Even the Gp's don't know what they are talking about. My mother was told she had IBS she didn't after 7 months they found she had a severe back problem and needed surgery, guess what the abdo pain went away when the disc in her spine was released. Most people seem to think it will go away, or "grow up it's only wind". I am on the point of considering giving up my job because of this. It took me 14 years to gain enough experience and qualifications to do it. If as much research went into this as went into WRULD's then maybe we would have an answer. The only reason (in my humble opinion) that it isn't researched is that nobody sues their employer for IBS.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they do have a commercial its for zelnorm and most of the people on this board who have tried said it was horrible, i love how at the end of the commercial the side effects are worse than what you have, almost any medicine i get now says dry mouth got that, nausua, got that, stomach pain got that diarrea got that so what good it the new medicine if it just makes the old ones worse, I just had a meeting with my dshs counsler and he said i didn't see my shrink enough so he doubled up my looking for work and made a consession as to the time i have to check in not 8 but 9 as if that would help me get out of the house faster, there theory is how would you handle it if it were a job, well my boss would know and hopefully handle it if i was a bit late due not being able to get off the pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1so now i have extra stress to add on to my already stress, so now my ibs is going to kick in worse oh joy for me.......I would love for my husband and some people i deal with to just for one day live in my body and see what it felt like.maybe it would make a difference.maybe pehaps a doctor live with this for one dayor somebody famous look what happened to parkinsons once Michael j fox got it and look at what happened to research with christopher reeves...not that i would wish this on my worst enemy but i can only hope.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since I have been ticketed with DUI I have lost my licence,job,foreclosure on the house,jail, AA meetings, Etc... I have no trouble talking with others about these things. I can not talk about IBS. Other than the people in this forum, I don't think they know what I am talking about. That includes most doctors.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I hate when people think if they have D once in awhile or C once in awhile, they have IBS. They don't realize the amount of pain there is, not to mention the frustration. I've been getting criticized lately from this girl at a volunteer job I used to do who's the volunteer coordinator. I just got plain tired of her ####, and I was busy, and I was sick with my IBS, so I stopped volunteering for now. Well, someone decided to tell her that I had IBS and that's why I wasn't coming any more (because in all honesty the job they wanted me to do was high stress and I had to be there, no matter what. Hard to be stuck in a lighting booth for an entire 1.5 hour comedy show with no relief some nights). So, now she's going around saying she has IBS and that it's not really that bad. I could come if I really wanted to. I've never seen her even wimper in pain, she drinks like a bloody fish, she never runs to the bathroom. IBS my foot. Yeah, right. I get so sick of people thinking that it's just some little excuse to not do stuff. I'd do it if I wasn't doubled over in pain! I lost my last job because of it. I hate this. Not only do I have to fight IBS, but I have to fight the idiots around me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a family member who "inherits" everything she hears about from other people. When my husband was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, she suddenly got it, too. Only hers was worse than any case they had ever seen before. (She says this about everything.) When I was finally told that my IBS was exaserbated by abnormal adhesion growth in my abdomen, she was suddenly down and out with adhesions that were worse that the doctors had ever seen before. Her mother and I are both diabetic, although she is a quite brittle type 1 and I'm a mild type 2. You guessed it. The most difficult case they had ever seen. I had a mild heart attack a year ago. Now, guess who is having the same symptoms I had? Right-O. She's a nut case. I say we get squirt guns and blast these insensitive slobs every time they open their mouths.
Hey, it works for cats that get on the table.

·
Banned
415 Posts
People always seem to have it worse or say it is nothing, i agree. When i get the ones that say they have it also i suddenly get very interested in their stool type and how much gas they have. It's amazing how they retract their statement. They would rather say they were mistaken than have you think they get gas and D.LisaP.s. that spinning smiley is really hypnotic!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have always wonderered where are all those 20% of the population who truly suffer from ibs? Would'nt ibs be found in some percentage in some top scientists, top gastro doctors, top politicians, or even some important FDA officials who are for now running the show/stops for important medications for ibs? I wish no harm to anyone on earth but no one truly understands ibs unless they have it themselves. They need to have it not just for a day to truly understand it but more like a year to live with to really know what it's like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.