Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering why no appetite is not listed as a IBS symptom ? Yesterday I didn't have IBS pain and I was o.k with food but still not hungry. Now today it's worse again and my appetite is suffering and I have to force myself to eat. Do most people still enjoy eating with abdominal discomfort/pain ? If this is the case I must be very unusual. Any input on this ?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
That symptom doesn't cluster with the other symptoms on any sort of consistent basis so you can't use it to diagnose IBS.Some people stress eat, but others lose their appetite. Physical stress like being in pain counts as stress. So it can be just from stress.I'm one that can go either way. Mild stress may make me eat, but when I'm really upset or really in pain I have to make myself eat. Now I also get very sick if I skip meals so it isn't that hard to make me eat something.However there are other medical conditions that have this symptom and as long as you have reported it to the doctor so they can make sure everything else is OK then you should be good.If you listed every single symptom anyone with Condition A ever has then all conditions would have all symptoms listed as people often have more than one thing going on, or stress adds on lots of other things depending on how stress manifests. They try to find the most consistently present symptoms and those that help you tell Condition A from Condition B from Condition C.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know the thing with having no appetite and being disgusted with food started 4 years ago ( about when the IBS started) . I just read my old e-mails from my doctor but she wrote that she is unconcerned and it's just anxiety related ( that was 4 years ago). Also a few years ago I told my G.I doctore and he pretty much was unconcerned but also didn't tell me why I have this. So I pretty much deal with this for about 4 years now. Sometimes the appetite comes back a little bit but now again I am at a long phase of no appetite again. Can I still go by what the doctor said 4 years ago ? I always think of cancer right away. Am I crazy ? When I read the red alarm sympthoms and having no appetite was one of them I completly freaked out again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Every single harmless but vaguely annoying symptom is an alarm bell for cancer. Really. Now this site will set your anxiety to high, but I'm using it for an example.Poor appetite is a symptom for 1,027 conditions.Only a couple of them are cancer.http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/poo...tite/causes.htmTwo of them are STRESS and ANXIETY.Really if everyone with poor appetite had cancer and nothing else could cause it there wouldn't be a problem with overpopulation as a large percentage of the population would die off every year.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.The more you worry and stress out about the the less appetite you will have so the more you can use that to freak yourself out, which will kill your appetite even more. You could be in a vicious cycle where the more you stress about having no appetite the less appetite you will have.If your blood work is normal and the doctors aren't concerned I would let it go as worrying about it will most likely will make it much worse.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your reply. You are always so helpful ! It sure is freaky and strange never to be hungry but the worst is to worry about it too. At least I never throw up form being so disgusted of food. Thanks again !

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well some sites may include things the researchers generally do not, or symptoms that do not define the disease.Also not every medical site is good information and if you look long enough and hard enough you'll probably find anything and everything listed as an IBS symptom. Depends on if the look at what we all have in common or every symptom anyone with IBS happens to have.Some people are splitters and some are lumpers and depending on how you draw the boxes you will come up with vastly different opinions, even completely different than the experts.In any cause no matter what symptom it is anxiety and fretting about it and looking it up on a bunch of websites is mostly likely to make it worse, not better.If you look at enough different websites you will probably be able to find whatever opinion you are looking for because someone will say it somewhere.The symptoms that define IBS are altered stool consistency and abdominal pain/discomfort and if you just have lack of appetite with normal stools and no abdominal discomfort they shouldn't call it IBS. However people with IBS may have other symptoms if for no other reason that it is rare people have one and only one thing and never have any thing else going on. It would be lovely if only one thing could go wrong at a time.But I don't see what going round and round about this will do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.