Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to alli was wondering why it apprears the uk is so not as advanced as uk medicinewhen you read posts on here from people from the usa they mention so many different drugs they have tried yet here in the uk there seems to be only a handfull for us to try and the doctors in particular my hospital seem to give up once they cant find anything elsewill we ever catch up over here it gets me down to here of some other medications that work in other countries yet we cant even try them herei feel there is no end to it all as pills dont seem to help much starting on antidepressants tommorow just hope they dont go straight through me like the last lotat time (prob a lot of times it gets you very down specially when you here from someone 50+ who still has it im 32 and that scares me the thought of it all my lifedoes anyone else in the uk feel the same

·
Registered
101 Posts
as far is im aware we Uk peeps get offered Colpermin, colofac or spasmonal, then of course there is the long list of anti depressants that you may be described.well at least its free. The American system seems to be much more thorough, if you can afford it, the Uk approach is: Rule out anything major as cheaply as possible, then prescribe one of the above and tell the patient to eat more fiber.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
It's not much better in Australia! I asked my chemist once why America had all sorts of great things and he said that most things are developed there and the FDA isn't as strict as it is over here, so once something comes out over there the AFDA watches and studies how it goes in America for at least 8-10 years before they think about reviewing it for here and even then most things don't get approved
You might find the UK is the same way.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think in terms of drugs we have less options, but that's because things like Lotronex and Zelnorm have not been approved over here. There are lots of other options available though - we have some of the best hypnotherapists in the world, and we can get calcium and magnesium and lots of fiber types, and there are some highly respected dieticians, and more. Don't give up on the treatment, there's lot out there!I do sympathise with the hospital experience, my hospital doc was beyond useless ("Here's a laxative Miss Lee, go away"). But there are sympathetic doctors out there, and if you havent found one yet then I should demand a second or third opinion!There's a UK register of qualified hypnotherapists who could help, and also the IBS Network at www.ibsnetwork.org.uk who have a helpline of trained nurses and newsletter etc.I was a bit miffed at first when I heard about things like Lotronex, but these drugs only work for some people, not all, and can often only be taken for short periods, whereas an improvement through hypno or dietary change can be long-lasting and not involve swallowing pills every day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for great replies i thought it was just me thinking that mine has me on buscapan seem to stop me at least passing out with the pain i was getting so thats somethingits just that the more different types of pills you can try the more chance that surely one may really helpim still waiting for my appointment with my community psychiatric nurce at my local surgery i reallny need it like yest starting antidepress tonight but scared to death that one will go straight through me againthen again i seem to have a fear of everything so goin to the appointment when it comes through will be a nightmareonly feel safe in my house is that the same for any of you or am i just a crazy hermit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.