Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont understand how i can gain weight if im constantly on the toilet after i eat. ive gained 10 pounds and it makes me mad. i work out regularly. why is this happening????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi dreams,A lot of people who suffer from IBS-D struggle with keeping weight on but there are those who gain weight. I started gaining weight rapidly after I developed IBS-D. The only thing that I can think of would be that sometimes people who are afraid of getting D in public will go an entire day without food so they will be OK. When they get home they are usually overly hungry so they binge. The next day the process starts all over again which can be very hard on the body. I'm not sure if you do this but I have found that when I do my weight just shoots up. You also might want to consider having your thyroid checked. I know that sometimes people with a specific thyroid cond.(can't remember which one) gain a lot of weight even though they eat right and exercise. I hope this helps you. Steph

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dreams-Have you noticed where you're gaining the weight? If it's in the abdomen and you feel stress affects your IBS, I've got a theory for you...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree with Steph,I'll go all day without eating just to have a "normal" day,but once I'm home in the evening I'll eat whatever,and thats what I think puts on the weight,butI wonder sometimes if everything I eat comes back out,why aint I a fashion model? LOL!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had the same experience. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I tend to get terrible D in the morning and I won't eat until get home from work. Despite the fact that I eat one meal a day I still have managed to gain some pounds.------------------Metropolis"It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary."-Sir Winston Churchill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone....well alot of what you said is true. ill go all week without eating enough then when the weekend comes i eat everything. this must be how i gain it...but kbaun i see to gain it the most in my stomach...whats your theory?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi:I think Steph has a point! Probably not eating all day and then having everything at once is a stress on your body. You would probably also tend to eat more of the wrong kinds of foods (fattening types) since you're so hungry. I know I do that, so I try to let myself get too hungry. Of course, if you can't eat during the day it's harder to do.
JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I dunno for sure...I'm one of those who has lost tons of weight (so much that I've been in tears a lot lately). However, I'm jumping for joy today. I gained more than two pounds in the past 1-1/2 weeks after adding 200+ calories/day to my diet....doesn't sound like much, but to me it's a small victory....first weight gain I've noticed in more than two years. Now, just 20-25 pounds to go!Seriously, though, I've learned from this BB and from my nutritionist that, AMONG OTHER THINGS, certain weight gain can be a sign of nutrient malabsorption, as odd as that first sounds. I've had a malab. problem and have lost weight; others can gain. But that doesn't mean that's your problem. Just mentioning another theory.------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts