Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every time I visit the bathroom, I feel that there is a bm waiting at the threshold to come out. I can push, relax, breathe, think positive....but I can't push it out. It isn't that it is big or hard either, because when it finally does happen, it is soft and small. It's so frustrating. I guess I have non-existent motility?????? AAAARRRGGHH! At least when I'm in an episode of D, (which seems to happen about every 5 days or so) Something is happening. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
279 Posts
A feeling of incomplete evacuation is quite common among those of us who suffer from IBS. From what I understand, it is a result of a miscommunication between the nerves in the colon/rectal area and the messages sent to the brain (don't quote me on this). It's very frustrating, I know, but there isn't much we can do about it.Ashley

·
Registered
279 Posts
A feeling of incomplete evacuation is quite common among those of us who suffer from IBS. From what I understand, it is a result of a miscommunication between the nerves in the colon/rectal area and the messages sent to the brain (don't quote me on this). It's very frustrating, I know, but there isn't much we can do about it.Ashley

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mean to get graphic here, but it isn't only a feeling of incomplete evacuation. There hasn't been an evacuation, and I can feel the poop right there. It comes out a tiny bit, but I can't push it all out and it just goes back in. I do have the feeling of incomplete evacuation all the time too, but this is different. I never seem to have the urge to have a bm anymore, and when I feel it there....I can't get it out!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mean to get graphic here, but it isn't only a feeling of incomplete evacuation. There hasn't been an evacuation, and I can feel the poop right there. It comes out a tiny bit, but I can't push it all out and it just goes back in. I do have the feeling of incomplete evacuation all the time too, but this is different. I never seem to have the urge to have a bm anymore, and when I feel it there....I can't get it out!!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Yep...incomplete evacuation or the "I gotta go but nothing comes out no matter what measures I go to in order to get everything that I can still feel in there out of my body" is common in IBS. What measure people take vary, but straining for long periods of time and/or using suppositories and enemas (sometimes several of them)to make the rectum evacuate what may or may not be in there is commonly seen.In some people w/ IBS the rectum is demonstrably different in how it senses (and/or how the brain gets/messes with the signal) fullness than normal people.People can ALSO have mucked up pelvic floor muscles and have TOTALLY NORMAL motility.Mess up motility tends to look like having WAY LESS than 3 bowel movements a week.Colonic motility can be completely normal even when the rectum and/or pelvic floor are not behaving properly.That the stool is soft tends to make me think it gets there on schedule, but your rectum may be over-reacting to when it STARTS to fill up and makes you THINK that you have a very full rectum that needs to be evacuated NOW when the stool load is really not what it needs to be for proper elimination.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Yep...incomplete evacuation or the "I gotta go but nothing comes out no matter what measures I go to in order to get everything that I can still feel in there out of my body" is common in IBS. What measure people take vary, but straining for long periods of time and/or using suppositories and enemas (sometimes several of them)to make the rectum evacuate what may or may not be in there is commonly seen.In some people w/ IBS the rectum is demonstrably different in how it senses (and/or how the brain gets/messes with the signal) fullness than normal people.People can ALSO have mucked up pelvic floor muscles and have TOTALLY NORMAL motility.Mess up motility tends to look like having WAY LESS than 3 bowel movements a week.Colonic motility can be completely normal even when the rectum and/or pelvic floor are not behaving properly.That the stool is soft tends to make me think it gets there on schedule, but your rectum may be over-reacting to when it STARTS to fill up and makes you THINK that you have a very full rectum that needs to be evacuated NOW when the stool load is really not what it needs to be for proper elimination.K.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for your replies.Kmottus, what does mucked up pelvic floor muscles entail? I do have way less than 3 movements a week, typically I go 6 or 7 days, feel really horrible and get D. Or a little comes out every 4 or 5 days and no D for a longer period of time. I always feel tensed up down there inside, and if I concentrate, I can sometimes release the tension for a second only to feel it tense up again. This isn't the rectum tensing, but up further about two inches inside. (at least I don't think it's the rectum)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you both for your replies.Kmottus, what does mucked up pelvic floor muscles entail? I do have way less than 3 movements a week, typically I go 6 or 7 days, feel really horrible and get D. Or a little comes out every 4 or 5 days and no D for a longer period of time. I always feel tensed up down there inside, and if I concentrate, I can sometimes release the tension for a second only to feel it tense up again. This isn't the rectum tensing, but up further about two inches inside. (at least I don't think it's the rectum)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Eric,This sounds exactly like me for the last six or seven months. Every now and then, I'll have D, but for the most part it's the other way around. I also have had constant lower abdominal pain during this time as well. (Usually a dull ache that never goes away, but gets worse at times of the day) What is biofeedback? Is this anything like Mike's tapes. I'm still planning on trying the tapes, but am waiting for funds. I'm really excited to try them. Will they help me IF I have this pelvic floor dyssynergia?Could the clamped pelvic muscle contribute to my constant dull achy feeling do you think?Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks Eric,This sounds exactly like me for the last six or seven months. Every now and then, I'll have D, but for the most part it's the other way around. I also have had constant lower abdominal pain during this time as well. (Usually a dull ache that never goes away, but gets worse at times of the day) What is biofeedback? Is this anything like Mike's tapes. I'm still planning on trying the tapes, but am waiting for funds. I'm really excited to try them. Will they help me IF I have this pelvic floor dyssynergia?Could the clamped pelvic muscle contribute to my constant dull achy feeling do you think?Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Cori, biofeedback is a treatment for this."Biofeedback Biofeedback is a technique in which a person is trained to change a specific physical response, for example, fingertip temperature, heart rate, or muscle tension, to reduce undesirable symptoms. Biofeedback has been used to successfully treat many diseases and disorders such as IBS, migraine and tension headaches, hypertension, insomnia, and anxiety. Biofeedback requires equipment that can be used in a therapist�s office, or can be purchased or rented for personal home use. Over time, a person gains sufficient control over his or her physical responses as a way of managing the unpleasant symptoms so that the equipment becomes unnecessary. It is important to note that one or many of these techniques and therapies can be used to manage a person�s problems and symptoms. One of the goals of psychological treatment is to provide a person with a variety of "tools" which can be used to cope with the GI symptoms. This type of psychological treatment is tailor made for each individual, and tries to maximize a person�s natural skills and abilities. It is used in collaboration with the person�s other health care providers, and with other things, such as medication, to manage GI symptoms." http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/psychserv.htm#BIOFEED In IBS one of the root issues is hypersensitivity to gut stimuli. But IBS can alter sensations in different ares of the digestive tract, including the rectum and anus.What effects the gut can effect the brain and vice versa.Hypnosis works very well on this issue (hpersensitivity) as well as some other issues in regards to IBS, but uses the subconcious route as opposed to the concious route. The use of both biofeedback and hypnosis could be even more benefical perhaps for this issue.Personally it has helped me in this area a lot as well as some others I know of, I suffer about 90 percent less from incomplete evacuation. There still are some odd days where I really feel my anus and its a hard feeling to explain, the nerves there for me are hypersensitive as well as in my gut.I have noticed these muscles can spasm and cause headaches and actual feelings in my head, like anxiousness or dizziness and sometimes even anger out of the blue.I have also noticed in the past that when the muscles tighten there it sends the upper colon out of whack. The natural movement of contractions is top to bottom and out and its as if a cork (tighten anal muscles) was there and this backfires up the colon to cause upper pain as that starts an altered contractions and spasms further up.I am personally 85 percent better on all global symptoms of severe pain and alternating C and D and a multitude of other IBS features, after a couple years using HT however.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Cori, biofeedback is a treatment for this."Biofeedback Biofeedback is a technique in which a person is trained to change a specific physical response, for example, fingertip temperature, heart rate, or muscle tension, to reduce undesirable symptoms. Biofeedback has been used to successfully treat many diseases and disorders such as IBS, migraine and tension headaches, hypertension, insomnia, and anxiety. Biofeedback requires equipment that can be used in a therapist�s office, or can be purchased or rented for personal home use. Over time, a person gains sufficient control over his or her physical responses as a way of managing the unpleasant symptoms so that the equipment becomes unnecessary. It is important to note that one or many of these techniques and therapies can be used to manage a person�s problems and symptoms. One of the goals of psychological treatment is to provide a person with a variety of "tools" which can be used to cope with the GI symptoms. This type of psychological treatment is tailor made for each individual, and tries to maximize a person�s natural skills and abilities. It is used in collaboration with the person�s other health care providers, and with other things, such as medication, to manage GI symptoms." http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/psychserv.htm#BIOFEED In IBS one of the root issues is hypersensitivity to gut stimuli. But IBS can alter sensations in different ares of the digestive tract, including the rectum and anus.What effects the gut can effect the brain and vice versa.Hypnosis works very well on this issue (hpersensitivity) as well as some other issues in regards to IBS, but uses the subconcious route as opposed to the concious route. The use of both biofeedback and hypnosis could be even more benefical perhaps for this issue.Personally it has helped me in this area a lot as well as some others I know of, I suffer about 90 percent less from incomplete evacuation. There still are some odd days where I really feel my anus and its a hard feeling to explain, the nerves there for me are hypersensitive as well as in my gut.I have noticed these muscles can spasm and cause headaches and actual feelings in my head, like anxiousness or dizziness and sometimes even anger out of the blue.I have also noticed in the past that when the muscles tighten there it sends the upper colon out of whack. The natural movement of contractions is top to bottom and out and its as if a cork (tighten anal muscles) was there and this backfires up the colon to cause upper pain as that starts an altered contractions and spasms further up.I am personally 85 percent better on all global symptoms of severe pain and alternating C and D and a multitude of other IBS features, after a couple years using HT however.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ditto what Eric said.Typically either the pelvic floor muscles are too loose or do not relax when you want them to (or tighten up when you want them to relax).One causes incontenance and the other causes difficulties in getting things out.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ditto what Eric said.Typically either the pelvic floor muscles are too loose or do not relax when you want them to (or tighten up when you want them to relax).One causes incontenance and the other causes difficulties in getting things out.K.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.