Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother has a sever IBS, nothing help to elevate the symptoms except Tylenol #3. Her GI doc is refusing to prescribe to her anymore pain medicine. Her pain is so sever she is having suicidal thought since she knows that she will no longer have access to pain medicine. We went to a different GI and his response was the same. I don’t know what to do. Please help!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sorry your Mom is having such bad pains. Nice of you to be concerned and to be on here trying to help her.I don't have allot of pain. When I have D or maybe an hour before I do have pain sometimes. I do get pains here and there BUT never had to take pain pills for it. Sorry I can;t help you, but someone will on here. There are allot of great people on here that can answer. I know some Dr's are affraid of people getting hooked on pain killers. A friend of mine is hooked on them. NOt for IBS but for other reasons.Take careKat Take care

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Narcotics are generally not a good thing for IBS pain (over time they can cause more abdominal pain than if you never took them, it is called narcotic bowel syndrome).They do use antidepressants and other medications to control pain in IBS and maybe you should persue that route rather than trying to get more or stronger narcotics.K.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Maybe she could use Lidocaine cream.Yeah the same stuff the dentist use.Something to think about...and perhaps see a teacher in gastroenterology.Those are usually better.I will see one Monday.Where is located the pain of your mother?Which test the doctor has done?Why she has pain,eg;ask her if she feel constipated or bloated?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My gastro won't give up the pain meds either. I had to go to a family practioner to get them. I really like taking them, but I don't think they help in the long run as someone mentioned, narcotic bowel syndrome. My family practice doc gave me the pain meds AND a pretty strong tranquilizer and a anti-depressant. Sure it worked on my pain and symptoms but I was hooked on them over time and they don't help you think clearly either and when you run out you start going mad I swear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all! I am new here, and love the fact that this is here! IBS is so hard to live with, and to have a site that I can go on and talk about it, is great!! In fact I have already posted a few helpful comments.I do have a question for you. Does anyone here live on Immoduim? After a while IT STOPS WORKING!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's hard when a loved one is in so much pain. The doctors probably won't perscibe anymore because they don't want her to become addicted. That would be my guess. Maybe if you went to a third doctor? I don't know what to tell you. I hope she can feel some relief soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Narcotics saved my life. I suffered so bad and was getting close to death. I could not handle the suffering 1 day longer. Even years of liquid diet could not stop my slide towards death. If a doctor refuses to help stop the pain, they are in the wrong business. Get out, and and let another give it a try. If I could put IBD/IBS/ all the intestinal diseases, into a needle and inject the clueless no one ever ever say things like that again. Sad sick rotten world if doctors refuse to help releave pain, due to cluelessness..
quote:Originally posted by Kathleen M, Ph.D.:Narcotics are generally not a good thing for IBS pain (over time they can cause more abdominal pain than if you never took them, it is called narcotic bowel syndrome).They do use antidepressants and other medications to control pain in IBS and maybe you should persue that route rather than trying to get more or stronger narcotics.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They should do something for the pain, but there are a whole bunch of other drugs to try for IBS pain before resorting to narcotics.For some people they may have to, but the risk of narcotic bowel syndrome means that they will NEVER be the first drug of choice.It really is not a situation of narcotics or nothing at all. Yes, they should treat the pain, but start with something that isn't a risk for making things much much more painful.K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.