Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GI doc finished all his tests, manometry, transit marker study, defagram etc.Said they all turned out fine, couldn't find anything wrong with me.Except I have this endless constipation, that I can't get any stool out unless I uselarge amounts of laxatives (8 doses of mirilax a day).I can't urinate unless I get some stool moving either. And the big dose of laxatives is making ithard for me to breathe. I have blood in my stool all the time too.Have been to the urologists did all the tests they came out fine too. Have been told by severaldoctors it's stool pressing on my urinary tract that is holding back my urine.All my GI doc could suggest was to try and take a little less laxatives and see how that goes. I could have come up with that idea!Got him to give me referal to a surgeon, which he suggested I get from my regular doctor at first, until I pressedhim to do it.I'm wondering if a surgeon will just blow me off, or give me an ostomy type surgery, like I need to correct the problem?I really can't keep living like this, I can't even breathe can hardly urinate.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My guess is the surgeon will do nothing for me either. Since no test shows me having a problem. Even the lung xrays show my lungs are fine. But I'm having great diffuculty breathing especially when I'm around anything blowing hot air. Like the vent from a furnace that heats a room. Or the heater in a car.I must have died and gone to hell cept nobody told me. (threre is a definite dryness in my throat mouth and sinuses that makes it hard to breath)How do I deal with this?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ahhh but you DO have a problem! You cannot move your bowels with out copious amounts of laxatives. That IS something wrong right there. So don't let them over look that!All the best

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
you sure have been through a lot with all the docs, tests, etc and it seems like they just keep giving you the run-around and no answers. how very frustrating. hopefully the appointment with the surgeon will be soon and hopefully he/she will be able to finally give you some answers and provide a plan of action.maybe the mace procedure would help...good luck---hope your appt is soon.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you had any breath in the tube attached to a machine that measures how well you breath. There are a lot of breathing issues that do not show up on an X-ray.Ideally when you are having problems, but if you don't happen to have that when you go to the pulmonary doctor with the testing machines you can get (and your General practioner might be able to set you up to get one) an at home peak flow meter and you could track it at home.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you are having breathing problems that needs investigating promptly.The test you need is called a spirometry test....GP's and practice nurses can do this. It measures lung function and can be used as a diagnostic tool for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Have you ever smoked or worked in the textile or chemical industry?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I use to smoke. I had a similar breathing problem then, but it went away after I quite smoking. Thats why I quite actually I couldn't breathe, and was extremely dry.I use to get pains in the center of my chest that wouldn't go away until I drank some water.It's a dryness, my teeth stick to the insides of my mouth I get so dry. That seems to be making it hard to breathe.The skin all over my body gets dry real easy and burns, if I get any kind of wind blowing on me.Also am using shampoo and other medication from the dermatologist, for dermititus on face and chest. And just getting rid of staff infection that was all over my back.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The test you should go for is a spirometry test. It is still possible to contract COPD long after someone has stopped smoking. If you are over 35yrs of age this is something you should deffinately get checked out for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe it's a crazy suggestion, but if you are suffering from constipation, dry mouth and dry skin, are you making sure to drink enough water? Most people think they're getting enough, but they're far from it. I was told to drink between 2 and 3 litres a day due to a kidney stone and I haven't suffered from constipation in ages.Worth a tryShufflemoomin

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably don't drink enough water. Drink about 44 ounces of distilled water, when I get up, with my 8 doses of mirilaxSeems like what water I do drink is very quickly urinated out.Though I have a problem urinating, I have an almost constant urge to go most of the time. Even if I haven't drinken anything in a while.Except sometimes when I get more backed up then the amount of time between urination tendes to lengthen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I realized how bad my breathing was when my dad (who uses a lot of laxatives too) who has emphzema and uses an oxygen maker and a nebulizer to breathe.Could stand in the bathroom with the door shut and shave while the furnace was blowing hot air. It gets pretty hot in there when that happens.Just the air coming out from under the door was making my breathing uncomfortable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My dad says that I have to many problems so they must all be in my head.
He hates to hear me talk about how bad I feel. And will sit there and argue with me that I'm a nutcase rather then just I've gotten a raw deal.I don't go anywhere of do anything, am depressed out of my mind. Living with my parents no job, no friends no real interest in anything.I'm trying to cut back on the mirilax, see if it helps my breathing.Don't know if I will even be able to drive down the 165 miles to see a surgeon, with the car heater blowing on me.Last time I went a few weeks ago, my head got so dry even my ears were hurting.I really don't like life anymore. I'm really scared to die, especially if it's slow and painful away from home like in a hospital somewhere.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried drinking more water, after cutting back on the mirilax. My stools were getting more solid previously. Now with more water they have become much more liquid. I either took 5 or 7 doses this morning, I lost count. I think it was 7 like I did yesterday rather then 8.I wasn't really expecting that to happen. It scares me to drink a lot of water, as I have trouble urinating. And it's just sort of hard to get down. Especially if I gulp it, seems like I'm almost smothering a bit because of my breathing problem.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Sir John have you ever thought that perhaps you may be experiencing some anxiety? And if so, perhaps you would feel much better if you had that treated? I would seriously look into that if I were you.
Especially if I gulp it, seems like I'm almost smothering a bit because of my breathing problem.
I would get this "breathing problem" actually diagnosed. That is not IBS. And just FYI "gulping" can cause you to swallow air which can increase bloating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.