Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss and not sure where to turn. I started getting sick last Oct. In Jan, they removed my gallbladder. Life was great for 1-2 months and then the Constipation started. I have had an EGD, Colonoscopy and Gastric Emptying Study. My GI doc just says, "I dont know whats wrong with you.". My general doc has me on 1000 mg Magnesium 3/ day, 1 Tablespoon of Metamucil 3/ day, Amitiza 2/day and Probiotics 1 day. All of this and its still not working. I had to stay home from work today and drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. I have sat here and cried all day as I have tried to get in at various specialty hospitals in the area and keep getting turned down, either because they are over booked or they do not take self referrals. I am at my wits end and dont know where to turn anymore. This is wearing me out and I'm getting desperate. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am at a loss and not sure where to turn. I started getting sick last Oct. In Jan, they removed my gallbladder. Life was great for 1-2 months and then the Constipation started. I have had an EGD, Colonoscopy and Gastric Emptying Study. My GI doc just says, "I dont know whats wrong with you.". My general doc has me on 1000 mg Magnesium 3/ day, 1 Tablespoon of Metamucil 3/ day, Amitiza 2/day and Probiotics 1 day. All of this and its still not working. I had to stay home from work today and drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. I have sat here and cried all day as I have tried to get in at various specialty hospitals in the area and keep getting turned down, either because they are over booked or they do not take self referrals. I am at my wits end and dont know where to turn anymore. This is wearing me out and I'm getting desperate. Does anybody have any ideas?
When is the last time you tried ONLY natural foods to do the trick? Have you ever tried to eat (food only) 30, 40, 70 g of fiber in a day? Taking all the meds and supplements just seems wrong to me? If you haven't tried, please try to take in say 50 or 60 g of fiber from only food sources such as: broccoli, spinach, avocado, beans, Fiber One cereal. Lettuce after a meal is not enough. It is difficult to do, but try it? Also, switch it up every couple of days. Maybe go a couple of days with a lot of beans and spinach, then something else, etc. Maybe there's a combination of some fruits and veggies that will work for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When is the last time you tried ONLY natural foods to do the trick? Have you ever tried to eat (food only) 30, 40, 70 g of fiber in a day? Taking all the meds and supplements just seems wrong to me? If you haven't tried, please try to take in say 50 or 60 g of fiber from only food sources such as: broccoli, spinach, avocado, beans, Fiber One cereal. Lettuce after a meal is not enough. It is difficult to do, but try it? Also, switch it up every couple of days. Maybe go a couple of days with a lot of beans and spinach, then something else, etc. Maybe there's a combination of some fruits and veggies that will work for you?
I have changed my diet dramatically. No more processed foods, lots of fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. I now eat a minimal amount of meat. I only drink coffee and water. I simply cannot have a bm until I have taken enough medicine to turn it into a liquid state. I know thats disgusting, but that is what I cant seem to get the doctors to understand.Thank you for responding and your ideas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have changed my diet dramatically. No more processed foods, lots of fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. I now eat a minimal amount of meat. I only drink coffee and water. I simply cannot have a bm until I have taken enough medicine to turn it into a liquid state. I know thats disgusting, but that is what I cant seem to get the doctors to understand.Thank you for responding and your ideas.
The only thing I wanted to add, and I'm sure you're doing this, was to make sure the fruits and veggies are VERY high in fiber. Not all are. But please monitor your intake of fiber. See if you are getting at least 30 to 40 g? Then go for more. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.