Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have trouble with the foods your not supposed to eat? I mean I know whats going to bother me but sometimes I think "maybe this time will be different than the last 20 yrs" Yesterday on of my patients brought in a big box of imported chocolate. I know better but throughout the day I had 3 pieces. Plus a coworker brought in cheese and crackers. I ate a couple of those too. I took extra calcium hoping I could be like a normal person. I am so sick today. The dumb thing is I completely know better. I don't know what comes over me when I eat what I shouldn't. Do any of you guys have weak moments like this? It's like I know this will probably ruin the rest of my day, but hmm maybe THIS time it won't! Yeah right!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tell me, as a doctor, what do you feel is the best medicine to take for frequent cramping? I tried dicyclomine and got such a terrible headache along with constipation from the drug that I stopped taking it. Do you feel that Donnatel is better? Just wondering!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tell me, as a doctor, what do you feel is the best medicine to take for frequent cramping? I tried dicyclomine and got such a terrible headache along with constipation from the drug that I stopped taking it. Do you feel that Donnatel is better? Just wondering!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just thought I would throw in my two cents worth...I take Donnatal daily and then take Bentyl to supplement when the cramping is really bad. I am IBS-C already, so I have to really work on the constipation. Regulating everything consumes a lot of time and energy, but the alternative is unacceptable.I used to take percocet for the pain, but found the C on the pain killers much worse that on the anit-spazmotics.loon

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just thought I would throw in my two cents worth...I take Donnatal daily and then take Bentyl to supplement when the cramping is really bad. I am IBS-C already, so I have to really work on the constipation. Regulating everything consumes a lot of time and energy, but the alternative is unacceptable.I used to take percocet for the pain, but found the C on the pain killers much worse that on the anit-spazmotics.loon

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'm not a medical doctor, I do have a Piled Higher and Deeper in Biology and read way too much stuff.Levsin is another major antispasmodic in the US and the one I use, but it causes dry mouth, etc that all the other antispasmodics do.The problem is they are all varients of the same type of drug and sometimes people will tolerate one better than in a class, others may find anything in that class is bothersome for them.Your mileage may vary......If antispasmodics don't work the next place to look is to the antidepressants that are used in a wide variety of chronic pain conditions.The drugs can't tell a mood nerve from any of the other nerves that use serotonin as a neurotransmitter (and most of the serotonin in the whole body is in the GI tract, not the brain) so mucking with serotonin can relieve pain.Mind-body techniques can also be quite effective for managing pain.In some cases the pain may not be caused by actual spasms. It appears that some people who are in pain are having normal sensations that are NOT supposed to be reported to the brain ARE reported to the brain and the brain knows that if the gut says it feels something that something is pain because that is the ONLY thing it is supposed to say that it feels. (Kinda like accidently sending an email to everyone on your mailing list rather than just the person you were intending to send it to....too much information that wasn't ever supposed to be sent anyway)This may be why only some peoples pain responds to antispasmodics. There appear to be other mechanisms by which pain signals get generated.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'm not a medical doctor, I do have a Piled Higher and Deeper in Biology and read way too much stuff.Levsin is another major antispasmodic in the US and the one I use, but it causes dry mouth, etc that all the other antispasmodics do.The problem is they are all varients of the same type of drug and sometimes people will tolerate one better than in a class, others may find anything in that class is bothersome for them.Your mileage may vary......If antispasmodics don't work the next place to look is to the antidepressants that are used in a wide variety of chronic pain conditions.The drugs can't tell a mood nerve from any of the other nerves that use serotonin as a neurotransmitter (and most of the serotonin in the whole body is in the GI tract, not the brain) so mucking with serotonin can relieve pain.Mind-body techniques can also be quite effective for managing pain.In some cases the pain may not be caused by actual spasms. It appears that some people who are in pain are having normal sensations that are NOT supposed to be reported to the brain ARE reported to the brain and the brain knows that if the gut says it feels something that something is pain because that is the ONLY thing it is supposed to say that it feels. (Kinda like accidently sending an email to everyone on your mailing list rather than just the person you were intending to send it to....too much information that wasn't ever supposed to be sent anyway)This may be why only some peoples pain responds to antispasmodics. There appear to be other mechanisms by which pain signals get generated.K.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ncottle, none of the antispasmodics ever helped me. Donnatal has dope in it and even that never helped but no med ever did anyhow. My IBS/d is gone and I recommend you look at two things. Go to our CognitiveBB and order Mike's tapes which is what stopped my IBS and a lotta others too, and check out any food problems and diet adjustments. MikeNoLomotil can help you with the dietary concerns, and over on the CognitiveBB you will find MikeMahoney,Eric,and Marilyn who will help all they can. Now, I'm not just sure how to read the tone of your post but let me say that KMottus does have a Phd and is very highly educated and does laboratory type work. She is near research that looks into a lotta human problems and knows more than she could ever tell us. She also offers very good opinions and is always helpful without asking anything in return, a good friend to have on our sides!
Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ncottle, none of the antispasmodics ever helped me. Donnatal has dope in it and even that never helped but no med ever did anyhow. My IBS/d is gone and I recommend you look at two things. Go to our CognitiveBB and order Mike's tapes which is what stopped my IBS and a lotta others too, and check out any food problems and diet adjustments. MikeNoLomotil can help you with the dietary concerns, and over on the CognitiveBB you will find MikeMahoney,Eric,and Marilyn who will help all they can. Now, I'm not just sure how to read the tone of your post but let me say that KMottus does have a Phd and is very highly educated and does laboratory type work. She is near research that looks into a lotta human problems and knows more than she could ever tell us. She also offers very good opinions and is always helpful without asking anything in return, a good friend to have on our sides!
Good luck, Norb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.