Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone. I have IBS C-D. My problem is that I can not drink anymore wine cause if I do, I could have urgent bowel movements for up to 3 days. So if I have few glass of wine on Friday night, the worst case senario would be that on Monday morning before to leave for work I would not able to make it to work cause I would have been to bm 5 or 6 times in a row. Is there any supplement that help with that. Thanks

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Some people with IBS do not tolerate alcohol very well (it can cause loose stools in non-IBSers)First try 1 glass of wine rather than a few. For health benefits vs health problems alcohol should be limited to one to two drinks a day (and you can't store them up over the week and use them all on Friday). Alcohol is one of those things that small doses seem to be a benefit but amounts that get you drunk are detrimental over time.I don't know a supplement that would help other than take Imodium to block the reaction. If it pushes you over to C that may be a bad thing.K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi I cant tolerate wine because of its yeast content, maybe thats a problem for you too. I drink vodka or gin, these seem to be better than wine and beer for IBS-D. Try not to mix them with juice though, as I've found that this can cause D for me. I usually mix it with a bit of flat sprite. I miss wine but what can you do?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I cant drink wine, but it's not the alcohol... it's the fruity sugars (or maybe the yeast).Beer.. I can drink that all day and the most I get is mega-rippin flatulance in the morning.
Scotch doesn't seem to bother me either. Never been a big gin or vodka man.. that stuff sneaks up on you too quick. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your information. Just to let you guys know that beer and other alcool brevages (vodka, grand marnier, etc..)gives me also urgent bowel movements. I wonder what exactly does cause it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.