Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's official: I cannot drink wine anymore. The only alcohol I actually liked is not good for me anymore. This is one of those very frustrating things that IBS brought into my life. Of course I could drink vodka or something but I cannot drink that because I am allergic. And this is how I end up being that person who is the driver at parties...meaning that I get ti drive all those people who had fun home :(I hate IBS!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are allergic to wine? Does this have anything to do with IBS?For me and my IBS red wine is a double edged sword: it constipates me and helps with diarrhea (tannins) but also causes pain and irritation in my stomach which could be really bad sometimes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL...no, I am not allergic to wine, it messes up my bowels though. I am allergic to high distiled alcohol such as vodka. I was just complaining that, in addition to not drinking almost any alcohol due to my allergy now I cannot drink wine either due to my IBS. Just frustrated...sorry..

·
Registered
92 Posts
How do tannins help with diarrhea (mechanism of action)?
Tannic acids have constringing action upon mucous tissues. Tannins are helpful in controlling diarrhea and irritation in the GI tract but as paradoxical as it may sound they may also cause pain and irritation in large quantities. That's why if I drink too much red wine I get problems with my stomach.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Apart from alcohol, WINE has other components that can bother people's stomachs. Three of the most common are salycilates, amines and preservatives. (preservatives disappear if wine is allowed to "breathe" for about half an hour).Jackmat

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain, literally and figuratively! I am currently laying in bed recovering from a horrible IBS attack brought on by white wine. Red wine doesn't seem to have as bad an effect on me, but white has become an almost instant trigger for severe abdominal pain. I must be the only person who experiences both constipation AND diarrhea at the same time after a few glasses. I don't know what to suggest mate. I like a social drink as well and I'm not into cocktails and beer, so if you can find an alternative let me know!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi TanaIt could be teh sulphites.CheersIan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.