Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if it can last this long but if you had the more serious form you wouldn't be here. Perhaps you have a mild case. You could get tested for it. Your doc must have done a stool test before he diagnosed you with IBS. In anycase no harm in getting another test done if you have any doubts.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some info on how it is diagnosed other than by stool tests. If you had the colonoscopy you are in the clear as far as C-difficile is concerned. But I think a stool terst for other infections like Giardia etc are in order if you have D. I don't know what your symptoms are. "Flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopyFlexible sigmoidoscopy is an examination in which a doctor inserts a flexible fiberoptic tube with a light and a camera on its end into the rectum and sigmoid colon. (The sigmoid colon is the segment of the colon that is closest to the rectum.) In most patients with C. difficile colitis, the doctor will find pseudomembranes in the rectum and the sigmoid colon. However, some patients with C. difficile colitis will have pseudomembranes only in the right colon (the segment of the colon farthest from the rectum). Patients with pseudomembranes confined to the right colon require colonoscopy in order to see the pseudomembranes. (A colonoscope is a longer version of the flexible sigmoidoscope that is long enough to reach the right colon.) X-RaysX-ray examinations and computed-tomography (CT) examinations of the abdomen will occasionally demonstrate thickening of the wall of the colon due to inflammation, but these x-ray findings also are non-specific and only demonstrate that colitis is present. They do not demonstrate the cause of the colitis, e.g., C. difficile."http://www.medicinenet.com/clostridium_dif...litis/page4.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.