Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some reading and am wondering if any women have had a CA125 blood test prior to your diagnosis of IBS. My family doc hasn't tested me for it, but I'm wondering if I should ask for it.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
It is a fairly new test, If I recall correctly, and I'm not sure what age range they usually use it on...I have not been tested for it. While some symptoms for ovarian cancer and IBS do overlap there was a thing not too long ago that talked about how they are different (If I recall usually the bloating and problems with ovarian cancer are much more severe and consistant and tend to have come on quickly...it is not a completely silent disease as was once thought). http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007217.htm talks about why it is not a good general screening test, so I suspect most people have not been tested for it.It is good for tracking the progression of ovarian cancer in people who have it, but if you do not have it and you get a positive result it is rare that you actually have ovarian cancerK.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
It is a fairly new test, If I recall correctly, and I'm not sure what age range they usually use it on...I have not been tested for it. While some symptoms for ovarian cancer and IBS do overlap there was a thing not too long ago that talked about how they are different (If I recall usually the bloating and problems with ovarian cancer are much more severe and consistant and tend to have come on quickly...it is not a completely silent disease as was once thought). http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007217.htm talks about why it is not a good general screening test, so I suspect most people have not been tested for it.It is good for tracking the progression of ovarian cancer in people who have it, but if you do not have it and you get a positive result it is rare that you actually have ovarian cancerK.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the article, I guess I won't ask for the test. This IBS C is draining and I really don't feel like myself. I don't like being around people cause I feel so uncomfortable.<sigh>

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the article, I guess I won't ask for the test. This IBS C is draining and I really don't feel like myself. I don't like being around people cause I feel so uncomfortable.<sigh>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.