Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about a dousche(sp)Do any of you use a dousche at anytime?And what one would be the best to use?Kind of embarresed to ask, but would like to know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sure, I do, MuStang. Every two weeks at least as I know it's not good to do it too often as our bodies apparently have a natural cleansing feature built in.
The kind I've found best is the natural ones - vinegar and water - no perfumes, dyes, crazy stuff. The more natural the better. There's no particular brand that I've found better than any other, as long as it is the natural kind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doctors used to have us douche all the time, now they say we shouldn't at all.As usual they just can't make up their minds! My dr says to always remember "hidden parts clean themselves" but I still do it once in a while
------------------Deb

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use them sometimes. I always use the vinegar and water kind. I like to use them after my period and if I feel like I might be getting a yeast infection. When my Mom was young that is what the doctor had them use...they did have the Monistat and all the stuff they have now. I think they are safe to use as long as you don't use them too often.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I used to be a douche junkie--twice a week. I always got a lot of bacterial infections, so I used Betadyne to (I thought) cure and prevent them. As I got older, though, the skin down there got thinner, and the Betadyne started to burn like crazy every time. Eventually I became sensitized to soap, vinegar and water, Monistat, cortisone, Estrace or ANYTHING with chemicals in it. Then I started having chronic bladder problems, and read that douching can push bacteria into the urethra or the uterus, spreading an infection. So I stopped cold turkey a year ago. And I haven't had a bacterial infection so far since. I've become very careful about using baby wipes and warm water rinses with a squirt bottle after having "D." I hate to say it, but the drs. may be right on this issue.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why would you want to douche?My doctor has told me that if I did, it could cause infections, etc. That our vagina's clean themselves. I haven't found any reason to use one.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Me too. My doc said the ONLY time we should douch was if we were administering prescribed medication. I have not had an infection since I quit douching.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I remember when I went for my first pap my doc was very emphatic about this...he told me to never douche as it causes nasty infections if it "pushes" bacteria up into where it doesn't belong. I seem to remember my health teacher saying that, too. So, I've never even touched the stuff. I remember when I was little my mom used to have douches in her bathroom, I think she did it every month a few days after her period. She stopped doing that about 10 years ago when all the doctors were telling women to stop douching.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think if you want to you should use a water and vinigar one like what was suggested. I don't think doctors really know what they are doing half the time it is all trial and error. and how do men doctors know anything about a females body? they don't they just know what they are told and what they remember. which my be true with one woman not the other. its like I was raised on straight bottles but when I had my kids everyone bitched me out for useing them instead of the lower air bubble ones. It didn't kill me and come to find out the curved ones gave my kids more gas. So if you need to feel cleaner and god forbid better about yourself and you think a douche will help? YOU GO GIRL
Cheryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya know what's interesting? I'm...again...the exception. I have used them since I was 16 (now 34) once every two weeks or so and have had only 2 infections in my whole life. I couldn't imagine not using them, especially after my period. To each her own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts