Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i am a new memeber but have read some of your posts and feel a great relief to know that i am not alone in the world
I'm sorry if this has been covered before but i need some adviseI am 24 with severe IBS that i've had for 10 years. I've worked in the same job for 5 years. My employers have always been very understanding and we work together around my lateness. Knowing this and being comfortable at work helps my situation and limits my sick days. Anxiety and stress are a huge contributing factor to my situation causing panick attacks aswell.Recently a new manager has been put into branch that is not so understanding. I have had to have a meeting with her about my sick record which is 34 days in 5 years. Considering my situation i thought this not too bad and its never been an issue before. She is trying to lower my contract saying that i don't meet the requirements offen enough but since january i have only missed my contracted hours twice. So to the point
.........Has anybody any experience of this and does anybody know if i have a leg to stand on if i appeal the situation. I don't feel it should be right that my life can be affected so dramatically because one person is so not understanding. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, i hope you all are coping with your day to day life as i know what a chore it can be xxxxxjess

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you have been employed for more than 2 years they cannot just sack you, or you would have a case for a tribunal. They would need to start with verbal and written warnings. They can only do this if you dont have a doctors certificate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I was always of the understanding that as long as you declared your medical condition when you first started the job, and they still chose to employ you, then they can't sack you because of it. But you had best check this out with the citizens advice people first!!Good Luck!Stacey UK, West Sussex

·
Registered
343 Posts
Speaking as a Boss, I don't think they can suddenly turn on you and do that. After all if you have been there 5 years, they already know the problem - What might be helpful though is to sit down with this new Manager and explain every single part of IBS - Yes including the BM's etc etc etc or get some pamphlets about it.Good luckNick

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi thereive worked with some really ignorant a holes, and even though you try talking out in hopes that they will understand, they wont. you cant change people. The supervisor i had was not having any part of it. He never listened to word of what people would say, and he would always think hes right. if i were you, id try looking under the state laws, disability laws, etc, and then maybe try talking to the manager. if hes still an ass, go to the higher up. they should help you out. if not , call the disability office. good luckbutg just remember, you cant change people if theyre like that

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your advise guys, I went to my doc and she's given me a print out about IBS and everything that it entails. I'm gonna pass that to my manager and then test the ground. That should be enjoyable reading for her!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.