Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions with having to travel for work while suffering from IBS? I am looking at possibly taking on a job that is going to put me on the road more often then I am now. I don’t suffer from D frequently but do suffer occasionally from D but more so a constant feeling of none completion. This is a great job opportunity that I don’t want to pass up. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have this sort of a job that suffers from IBS? If so how do you handle it?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Short of working at home, these were my favourite jobs. My bowels were most active in the morning and relatively predictable at lunch, so that gave me generally stable hours during the workday. Being out of the office and in my car--with access to washrooms throughout the city--meant my farts wouldn't bother anyone for much of the day, I didn't foul the office washroom and so avoided those looks, and I had a little control over my timing issues. Having wipes and a change of underwear would be advisable.(Of course, not having D is miles ahead of all coping mechanisms.)Good luck with it.Mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been in your shoes. Most of my jobs I traveled and there were plenty of moments of feeling like "oh my god, I have to go now". I learned where every restroom was on my route. Avoid drinking any caffeine or eating something that may upset your stomach. Don't let fear stop you from taking a job you may like. Prepare yourself and try to stay as calm as possible. There are alot of public restrooms that you can use if the feeling should arise. You can do it. Have you ever has a time where you didn't make it to a bathroom or are you just afraid of it happening. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No bouts without making it just a matter of all the times that it has been close and I have been fortunate enough to make it to the restroom. It is rather nerve racking I am meeting with a dietician in a couple of weeks to check out food allergies and all that good stuff. I cant seem to get a doctor to commit to me that it is IBS. However, I am going to start demanding anti-spasmadic eds herve very soon. If I get this job I am pretty certain that I will. I hope everything works out and doesnt cause more stress in my life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.