Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I haven't posted in almost a year, whoops! Anyways, I want to ask if anyone here has been able to work full-time with IBS-D. I am currently doing that right now, and my job entitles me to travel around and work in the field for up to 12 hours a day without a bathroom break. A little background on me: I'm 22, have had IBS for 2 and half years (diagnosed that is, 4 years including undiagnosed suffering) and I have a really bad anxiety for knowing and having a bathroom available for me at ALL TIMES. That is probably the worst for me right now, anywhere I go I MUST know where the bathroom is. I take immodium up to 4 or 5 pills a day. I know in the next month I will need to travel into the field, where there is no bathroom and 10 hour car rides. I need some advice or guidance, anything really. I am worrying that I will have an accident in the field and then what will I do? Stand there in my filth for hours in the heat? Mo thanks!I'm young and have only recently started to accept that I'm stuck with this forever. I don't go out much, unless I know where and how long. If I go out to eat, I only eat a small amount and take copious amounts of immodium. Any help?Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
The only thing I can say is what I do, I take various meds to try and reduce the frequency and severity of D outbreaks. Calcium, amyriptaline and ibsacol work for me.Then I have a 3 point system, I will take generic loperimide if I feel I MAY have an issue later on as it will not back me up if I am wrong. If I know I will or have had an issue I will take immodium plus. But if I know I will have an issue but need it gone NOW then I will take lomotil which works quite well (I would have to add though that every time I have gotten to lomotil stage I have usually already had loperimide and immodium already so it is assisted)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I work full time. Luckily it's in a small office with only 20 people. And there's no offices on the way to the bathroom, so I feel more comfortable knowing no one is counting how many times a day I get up and go. I take loperamide every day (2 in the morning), and I'm usually fine. My IBS-D is VERY anxiety related, so I'm fine as long as I have a routine. If ANYTHING deviates from that routine, I will have a problem and know to take around 8 - 10 loperamides.I'm not sure what your job requires of you, but you could always talk to the HR department and let them know that you need bathroom breaks during the day. It's not really legal to keep someone from access to a bathroom all day at work. If it makes you feel better, I always keep TP in the car "just in case" =).

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I suffered with it daily, for 10 years. The last couple of years the accompanying fatigue along with a deteriorating digestive system made it almost impossible. About that time I started supplementing to try to boost my generally run down system before just giving myself up to the medical system and, in the process, began taking a couple of supplements that slowly resolved these problems. At which time I went back to working a couple of jobs.Since science is not likely to stumble on one medication that works flawlessly for all of us, just keep trying various approaches you read about here. Eventually you may well uncover your own silver bullet. Life is long and it can be very good, indeed.Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!I was planning on trying either peppermint oil capsules of calcium supplements, as I've heard those may help. My job entitles me to occasionally leave the office and go into the field, by field I mean the wild most of the time, and do sampling for environmental sciences. So, there is no bathroom, only the woods around are my bathroom! I have yet to go on one of these trips but next month and October I know I will be sent out. I am making a doctors appointment to finally beg my doctor to refer me to a GI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks everyone!I was planning on trying either peppermint oil capsules of calcium supplements, as I've heard those may help. My job entitles me to occasionally leave the office and go into the field, by field I mean the wild most of the time, and do sampling for environmental sciences. So, there is no bathroom, only the woods around are my bathroom! I have yet to go on one of these trips but next month and October I know I will be sent out. I am making a doctors appointment to finally beg my doctor to refer me to a GI.
Wow, I'm really impressed by you! That is a rough situation. I would have a backpack with meds, a change of clothes, wipes, bottled water (to drink and help wash up with), and I would wear a maxi pad to help if you have an issue. If you're in the wild, you can probably just duck behind a tree or whatever, really not too big a deal! I would get yourself on a routine, like take 1 imodium in the am and 1 in the evening and make sure you are eating foods unlikely to cause more trouble. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you. I am going to Florida with the kids for a week in October and I'm planning to use the techniques above to help with my fears! I have also recently started the calcium and they do seem to be working. I'm going to be trying the full dose as of today. I suggest you try it, can't hurt. If the calcium doesn't work for me, I plan to try Align and Florastor probiotics and peppermint oil caps next. I would see if your Dr. will give you a prescription for something else like lomotil too, that way if the imodium isn't working, you have something to fall back on. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Personally I would ask my doctor to write me a testimonial so I don't have to go on this trip.I'm sorry for being negative but I feel like I have to accept my IBS and that there are some things I cannot do until I find a cure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.