Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm writing because I'm very stressed out and I've found this board very comforting in the past. I just had a TB skin test today, and now there's a slight red swelling. I don't feel too ill, but my chest does hurt a little. It was supposed to be chest wall pain or pleurisy--I had a pneumothorax a couple of months ago. My IBS has gotten much worse. Can the patch of skin swell up if you don't have TB? Like if the nurse gave you the shot more shallowly than usual, as she mentioned? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for calming the nerves, beesides valium? Thank you so much.Shauna

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I really don't know for sure what is going on, but I remember that last time I had a TB test there was some slight swelling at first. And again, for calming the nerves, for me what works best is taking my mind off of it by watching mindless TV or something.Sorry I don't have any specific help but wanted you to know that someone is still awake and hopes you find that all is well soon.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I really don't know for sure what is going on, but I remember that last time I had a TB test there was some slight swelling at first. And again, for calming the nerves, for me what works best is taking my mind off of it by watching mindless TV or something.Sorry I don't have any specific help but wanted you to know that someone is still awake and hopes you find that all is well soon.nancy

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Reading, walking, cleaning. Activity can be helpful for calming the nerves.You can have a postive test if you have been exposed, but it is not active. They usually check for swelling, etc at the 48-72 hour mark. Some people will have an initial swelling just because they got injected (why they do postivie and negative controlls for allergy tests. Some people's skin will react right away) and if I remember initially there is a bubble.With all the lung problems you are having it sounds reasonable to do a TB test just to be sure. Being sick is physically and often emotionally stressful so that can increase the IBS all by itself. K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Reading, walking, cleaning. Activity can be helpful for calming the nerves.You can have a postive test if you have been exposed, but it is not active. They usually check for swelling, etc at the 48-72 hour mark. Some people will have an initial swelling just because they got injected (why they do postivie and negative controlls for allergy tests. Some people's skin will react right away) and if I remember initially there is a bubble.With all the lung problems you are having it sounds reasonable to do a TB test just to be sure. Being sick is physically and often emotionally stressful so that can increase the IBS all by itself. K.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kmottus is right; just because the test is reacting doesn't mean it is positive yet and does not mean you have TB. It is common for the skin to react with some reddness which is NOT a positive skin test. Only a trained medical person can accurately evaluate whether there is induration (swelling under the skin) at 48-72 hours after the test. Even if that is positive, a chest xray and sputum cultures (tests on the stuff you cough up) must be done before a diagnosis is made. TB can be treated with antibiotics that you take for 6-12 months. Hang in there and good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kmottus is right; just because the test is reacting doesn't mean it is positive yet and does not mean you have TB. It is common for the skin to react with some reddness which is NOT a positive skin test. Only a trained medical person can accurately evaluate whether there is induration (swelling under the skin) at 48-72 hours after the test. Even if that is positive, a chest xray and sputum cultures (tests on the stuff you cough up) must be done before a diagnosis is made. TB can be treated with antibiotics that you take for 6-12 months. Hang in there and good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for your responses. I realize this isn't a lung board, so sorry to use it for that, I was just freaking out a little. Well, thanks for helping me!Shauna

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for your responses. I realize this isn't a lung board, so sorry to use it for that, I was just freaking out a little. Well, thanks for helping me!Shauna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.