Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so I am 25 years old, no history of colon polyps or cancer on either side of my family, about 5 months ago I started having different types of bowel movements, it almost looked like a head full of dreadlocks. it worried me but it wouldn't happen every day just sometimes, then I started going more often like as soon as I woke up, I would go which was normal and it would be normal sized and fine, then I would go 2 times more within the hour or two and it would be thinner and stretched, okay so that kept going on pretty much on and off each day, on top of this I would have random pain in my lower left abdomen, between my hip bone and belly button, it would only hurt like maybe 2 times a week for about 20 seconds it hasn't really hurt that much lately but still I get other random pains in the lower left area but not really that one anymore, I also noticed like if I bend over like to get my daughter out of her crib the and the railing goes across the top of my stomach it will send a stabbing pain in my lower abdomen that worry's me, I have tried eating differently and upping fiber but like today I went, pretty big size in the morning and then I went again and it was thinner dread locks again sometimes it looks flat, I have only had like pencil thin once when I was really worried and couldn't go right, also if I skip a meal then eat a big meal I will get diarrhea. I have not had any blood in my stools nor weight loss, or loss of appetite, but I am just worried and every time I think I am fine there will be a thin one again and random pains. I am just worried that I could have colon cancer and any information on this would help me so much thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Colon cancer in people at 25 with no history of 1/2 the family having hundreds of polyps by 25 and colon cancer by 40 is really rare. Colon cancer (except in those families with a polyp disease) is a disease people over 50 get. Usually the polyps start sometime after 45-50 and they can take a decade to "ripen" into a cancer if they ever do.Colon cancer and colon polyps are a nearly silent disease. Most people over 50 that they find these things in with routine screenings never had a single symptom of anything going wrong.IBS, on the other hand, is very common in young adults and always cause a wide variety of obvious and distressing symptoms.IBS often causes symptoms from things that cause the colon to be most active. 1. Waking up in the morning, or around whenever dawn is/your normal wake up time. That is the most active time for the colon in all humans. 2. After large or fatty meals, particularly if you have skipped a meal or two.IBS is noted for every BM being different for a lot of us so normal one time and not the next is typical and not a sign of impending death.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Also Matt, the "pencil stool" symptom is a myth. I talked to a Cancer Registrar once and she said she had never heard of a single Colon Cancer paitent having pencil or ribbon like stools. Their main symptom was alternating Constipation/Diarrhea.If it helps put your mind at ease, when I first started having issues with pain in my left side, I assumed immediately that it could be colon cancer. What Kathleen says about how rare it is in someone your age(And mine, 29) is 100% correct. Does it happen? Yes. But I crunched the numbers once and it appears that about 520 men our age get it every year. More people die each year of lightning strikes. Also, odd wise, it would be 1 in every 39,000 men our age. Math makes me feel better about stuff like this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much both of you that helps so much. I feel very relieved, I have anxiety issues, I always have and I think it just makes everything worse. I noticed when I don't think about it, I don't even notice any pain and go to the bathroom almost normal for the most part, but then it will be thin again and I'll flip out. so thanks again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anxiety makes IBS symptoms much worse. When I first started worrying about it, I lost my appetite, the pain in my sides hurt worse,etc. Finally I quit stressing about it, and my symptoms receeded almost over night. I would recommend visiting your doctor to rule out Celiac or other intestinal diseases, but leave your worries about Colon Cancer on the side of the road, as there are tons and tons of other issues you would have before that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Next time you have an episode tell yourself "its not real, its just anxiety and its passing through" A positive mental approach will help you.Jackmat

·
Banned
240 Posts
Kathleen is correct. Colon cancer is extremely rare for 25 year olds.90% of colon cancer occurs in people over age 50.Its even rare in your early 40s. With that said, the fact that your symptoms are persistingis a sign you should get checked out (not for cancer butfor anything.)You should see a gastroenterologist (ask for your doctor fora referral to a good one.) Then he will do the work up.Asking us for a diagnosis or surfing the net for info withoutgoing to the doctor will do nothing but prolong the inevitable...which is going to the doctor. My father, a doctor himself, ignored his symptoms of diarrheaand abdominal pain for over a year and only went to a doc untilblood was pouring out his anus. He died from cancer fromcancer 4 years later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my symptoms come and go, and the severity is the same, but actually they have gotten better since I first noticed them. I am learning to eat differently and relax and I'll start to be normal again but then I'll eat the wrong thing and mess it up. But you are right I will go to my doctor.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Weird looking BMS--Typical with IBS.Normal BM followed by weird BM--Typical of IBSAbdominal pain--Required to get a diagnosis of IBS. Every possible pain description is all consistent with IBS.Skip a meal then eat a big meal and get diarrhea--Typical of IBS.No blood in stool--consistent with IBSNo weight loss--consistent with IBSSymptoms come and go--common with IBS only the most severe have severe symptoms every single day without any break at all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I first signed in to this website I had the same fears as you. My grandfather died of colon cancer...but at age 76.Kathleen was the one telling me something that I always try to keep in mind: there's no way cancer would give you so many symptoms as IBS would! I've had this for a year now and I can say about 4 or 5 times I had what you described: normal stool in the morning, thin weird bits later on. I can tell you that not only have I not lost weight in all this time...but I gained quite a bit to my eternal spite! One thing that you should avoid with IBS is worry too much. As time went by and I noticed I was not dying...nor going to die, my IBS got better. It really works! I now have symptoms once a month or every two months.For your piece of mind...and I am telling you this as a person who's had HUGE issues with anxiety to the point that worrying only would give me a BM (and that's happened for all my life) and I hypochondriac, which I admit I am...you can go and get yourself tested for everything you worry about
In fact I encourage you too...but after you find out you're pretty ok from a medical point of view, get ready to face this IBS thing with a clear head and opened mind cause other wise is going to drive you nuts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.