Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was formally diagnosed with IBS in June 2009 due to abdominal pain and frequent bouts of IBS-D but since October my main problem has been with gas (and the abdominal pain which comes with trapped wind). i have never had a problem with excessive gas before but now i seem to have excess amounts of gas 24/7 and am even being woken up at 4/5am by the rumbling and sensation of excess wind in my bowels. i find myself constantly having to go to the toilet to let out wind which is extremely annoying as even if i haven't even eaten anything to give me wind, i still have ridiculous amounts of gas to let out. once i've passed a large amount of wind, within 10 minutes i can feel my guts start to pop and rumble again and it felt like i hadn't passed wind for at least a couple of hours! i am just completely baffled as to where the wind is coming from.i avoid foods that i know will make me gassy; i've almost completely cut out greasy and fast foods from my diet and i'd say i have quite a balanced diet although i don't have too many vegetables as these obviously are a big contributor! another thing i've found is that if i've just been to the toilet i get particularly bad gas and rumbles compared to if i haven't yet had a bowel movement - in my eyes surely it should be the other way around?basically i either have excruciating trapped wind and a feeling of having wind trapped on my left side (the pain ranges from my hip up to the middle of my ribs sometimes) and causes me extreme comfort, or i have 'free' wind which leaves me feeling very bloated and i often get loud bowel rumbles - i am extremely self conscious so the rumbling is actually the thing that effects me most as it gives me MASSIVE anxiety and i've been close to panic attacks when my stomach rumbles in a quiet place. i have been prescribed Buscopan and Colpermin (peppermint oil capsules) to try out for a month after seeing my doctor for the second time and have been told to take 3 a day for a month and see how things are going. i'm only about 5 days in to this trial and all i've noticed so far is that the peppermint makes my poo smell a bit minty - lovely! - and apart from that, nothing has changed so far. (now for the disgusting part, apologies if i'm being too graphic...) now i'm not the kind of person to inspect my poo but i noticed a few weeks ago that my stool was in several large parts (typically 3) and there was a big string of what i can only assume is clear mucus which seemed to be clinging them all together! i was maybe 4mm thick and quite long and when i moved the stool with a toilet brush it seemed strong and very resistant. then again today i had a particularly unusual BM and to my horror i noticed two white sort of 'strings' half way out of the end of the BM and they look like what i can only describe as worms :/ they were white and i'd say maybe 20mm+ in length and about 3mm wide. then when i looked at the rest of the BM there were little white sort of specks maybe the size of sprinkles and all the way through my stool. this left me pretty confused and horrified as i haven't eaten anything that could have possibly passed through like that, which made me worried that it could be worms even though the white things weren't moving?? i looked up a few symptoms on the internet and it mentioned gas and bloating as well as vaginal itches in females, of which i have noticed i've had a lot lately and are often quite severe and which can't be due to an STD. could this be some kind of intestinal parasite or worm or something? it just would make so much sense to my symptoms and i was wondering if anyone has had something similar? or do you think i'm just looking too much into it? i am going back to my doctor in a month so i will tell her what i've said here but i'm still quite grossed out....

·
Banned
240 Posts
Wow, that was one of the most interesting postsI have ever read.I don't know whether they were worms or notbut you can get a ova/parasite stool test.I recommend doing this right away.And while you are at it, do the other stooltests. Fecal occult blood test, c. diff, etc.Don't hesitate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tape worms tend to have eggs that look like white rice. Very small. I know a majority of worms do not cause symptoms at all(Except pinworms) I worked as a Vet-Tech for 2 years and expressed my concern to my doc that maybe some of my issues are from getting some type of parasite as a Vet-Tech but he dismissed it without even testing me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds like what I had, and I took one Amoxycillin and the next day passed what I assume was a very long worm all balled up. I then went to the doc and she gave me Flagyl/Metronidazole and my symptoms cleared up. But now I have the leaky gas again and a weird taste and dryness in my mouth and my tongue gets lightly coated - I'm thinking the antibiotics messed my the bacteria in my gut and have caused more bad leaky gas and oral thrush or something? Although now that I think about I have had some itching down there like you have but no white specks in my stools like before. Odd. Please let us know what happens!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.