Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have just joined this site in an attempt to learn more about my problems and not to feel isolated anymore.I am Agoraphobic and have several axiety/mental health problems. which have led me to have IBS. For the last 4 years I have been suffering and getting gradually worse. I have alternating IBS. Normally I have a 3 or 4 day period where i am unable to pass anything, then i have a couple of days of Hard/soft stools, mucus and severe discomfort. Somedays though I have it all in one day. I have given myself piles from pushing and can spend up to 7 hours a day on the loo... normally doing nothing but panicking and feeling rubbish. Due to my mentsal health problems, i am unable to take medications of any kind and my diet is limited as it is. I am unable to leave the house (Agoraphobia) and spend most days in constant pain and anxiety. The trapped wind i get can cause me to collapse in pain. I even get wind pains in my Collarbone!Sorry to be graphic but today I am very worried. After 2 days of nearly nothing I feel terrible, dizzy, trapped wind, cold sweats, stomach hard, straining to go. Then i finally managed to go, about an hour ago and It was green! like forest green! I havent eaten anything green/blue/different than usual and i am starting to get very scared. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else before and if they were okay?Sorry to be descriptive, but please could you help me understand what it might be? Thankyou.All the best,KellyLouise x

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Since you have stated you have an anxiety problem, I am hesistant to worry you any more than necessary by 'guessing' at why your stool is green. So I think your best bet is to report this to your Dr and see what they say.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You don't have to eat green food to get green stool (although bright green veggies can do it).Some other food dyes can turn bright grass green when you eat them. Purple dyes are often noted for this.Additionally the bile starts off green or yellow so the stools if they haven't had the color changed by bacteria in the colon for whatever reason (moved too fast or you have less of them today than usual) the stools may be yellow or green instead of brown. They don't start out brown, they start out yellow or green.Iron in vitamins can also be very green when it comes out.http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/otherdisease...stoolcolors.htm has some causes of weird stool colors.Usually it doesn't mean anything, but if you get severe diarrhea (because this can be with a GI infection, but you don't have normal stools with a GI infection) that would normally send you to the doctor then go to the doctor for that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
KellyLouiseDoes your doctor have you on medication already for your other health problems?and does he/she know what is going on with your tummy/bowels?I to strain an awful lot on the toilet,but being on the toilet for 7hrs must exhaust you.For the piles,my doctor prescribed me ointment to sooth them a bit and i have found ice from the freezer can shrink them a bit if they are swollen.Maybe if you can have a talk through things with your doctor,they might be able to do something for you.Take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou all for your replies, they are much appreciated.I can't take any medications at all, as I have a phobia and am currently in the midst of a legal mental health complaint, so I cannot recieve help until that is sorted, but I shall hopefully be able to take something eventually.Yeah, 7 hours a day on the toilet does tire me out and I often fall asleep there, quite silly really.I have to doctor coming out to see me next week, so I will let her know what is going on.Thankyou all again and hope you are all well x

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes straining for that long is counter productive and makes you even more likely to tighten up when you should be relaxing the pelvic floor.Could you at least try taking frequent breaks for a warm 15 minute sitz bath to try to let everything relax rather than strainin for hours on end? Even get up after 15 minutes and walk around or try to distract yourself from feeling like you need to keep trying. Read a really good book or watch a really interesting TV show off the toilet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.