Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been diagnosed with IBS. I have had no tests done at the hospital but my GP said i had typical symptoms of IBS. She prescribed Colofac and Fybogel.I suffer with boats of C and then D. I can cope with this but not the pain i am experiencing. Is it normal to have cramps in the left hand side, just in from your hip. I seem to suffer with this 24 hours a day for about a week at a time. Colofac helps slightly. When experiencing this pain I also get lower back pain and feel extremely tired and low. There seems to be no pattern with any foods I eat etc but feel it is probably caused by stress as I am a very stressy person and suffer with other stress related problems. I am everso worried I may have something more serious than IBS, does anyone else experience my symptoms?????

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi nicolaWelcome. Im Vikki.I havent been to this site myself for about a month now, but I saw your email today and thought id respond as I think I can help point you in the right direction!Firstly, your syptoms sound like IBS. I too get bouts of D with awful pains and cramps. Its horrid. Also now and then I get a little C, but I just eat lots of prunes on those days!Most Drs prescribe the things you have been given. I had fybogel to start and an antispasmodic tablet. Must admit though, they never did very much!The I was given antacid capsules, as I had complained of lot of heartburn and the Dr thought that the excess acid could be causeing the D. These have helped a bit.You need to get some routine tests done by your Dr really. These are to rule out all the Serious things..like cancer, colitis, IB dieases, crohns disease etc. Do you live in England?Drs normally take blood tests for parasites and 'poo' tests for cancer. Also, most IBS sufferers have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, two cameras out inside to check for ulcers and colits, crohns etc etc etc.Normally once all these tests are done, and the results all clear, the Dr diagnoses 'IBS'.Does this help???Maybe ask your Dr about getting these tests done?x rsvp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi VikkiI did speak to the doctor expressing my concerns, but she really didn't think i needed the tests as my symptoms were text book. She did take blood to see if there was any inflamation but that come back negative. The only thing that gets me through this are the good weeks in between. I never get bloated, have gas, or nausea. As a child I was always C so I am used to it. Then every few weeks I will have D which will keep me up all night and the next day it calms down, I then get this pain for a week of so and it feels like cramp. I have just started using Maxicol to see if it helps, which it does with keeping you regular but not with the pain. When I first starting using Colofac they were great. But I take 2 a day now and they only help slightly. Worrying about my symptoms are making things worse. My doctor told me that IBS sufferers have pain on the left hand side only, but it seems this is untrue. Im even more worried now.Nicky X

·
Registered
476 Posts
Saying that though Nicola, I do epxerience pain on the left side, but i only really notice it when im in bed at night. I cant sleep on my left side as its painful. You can press for the tests if you want them. just tell your doc. she can not refuse you if you want them done. or, see another doc for another opinion.i know it is awful, but try not to worry too much.its not easy for me to say that, so dont think i am disregarding your feelings. i know only too well how scary this can be. when i have a bout of D i dont even leave the house. i had a near 'accident' once when i had D, and it has haunted me ever since! im so scared of 'pooing' myself when im poorly!Plus i have unsympathetic parents who tell me ITS IN MY HEAD, who kindly booked up an holiday which im petrified to go on next month as its a long coach journey with NO LOO! ARGH!Also, i have a wedding approaching, and im scared that D and pains will ruin everything!xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its so awful that something so trival as an irritable bowel can cause so much grief. I do understand your fears with holidays, and Im going in September. Isn't it terrible that you have to hope you are well when planning anything. I think I annoy my other half as Im always ill with something or the other. Wouldn't it be great to be well all the time. Saying that there are plenty of people worse of then us. Im starting to worry about work, I have quite abit of time off work due to this, but sometimes all i want to do is sleep.xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.