Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else worry about staying with our friends in their houses for say, a weekend? I have IBS-D. I have to eat regularly and worry that if I don't I feel all wobbly and it can start of the diarrhoea. I worry then that I'll make a noise and a smell in somebody else's house and my worst nightmare is in an internal bathroom with no window!Does anyone else have this fear or is it me?!Family say - 'just tell your friends' but how on earth do you get around to talking about smells and noises? Am alright with telling them I get pain...!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I totally hear what you are saying. I worry like this at work and anywhere basically I go. Good idea to take your purse with you ....if you are a girl....to carry a small "odour eater" air freshener. If you are a guy, it is a little harder to disguise unless you wear a fanny pack or carry a little bag with you or something. The noise well...turn the water taps on or something to disguise the noise. I know it isn't easy but especially with friends I find that I can tell them I have IBS and they understand. I think most people don't even pay attention to when you go to the bathroom as if they are listening for sounds or timing how long you have been in there. I know sometimes when I am in the bathroom I stress myself out so much that I think everyone is thinking about me in the bathroom but they really aren't. I know what you are saying...it isn't easy. I think the worry makes everything much worse than it actually is....everyone has to have BM's everyone passes wind and everyones BM"s are smelly !!! As my mom jokingly says even the queen of england has a BM and don't think her stool don't stank !!!Okay I know that totally wasn't helpful...I think it is our anxiety that gets the best of us !!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.