Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worry vs BroccoliWhat one do you think is more of a major trigger to IBS?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Broccoli, can cause gas problems. The gas then puts pressure on the gut cells in the colon which are pressure sensitive and that in turn creates signals to the brain that register as pain in IBS.But what does worry or even emotions do to both the brain and gut in IBS?What about long term?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS One thing about Broccoli though, is it may cause pain for a lot of IBSers, but it is also good for you as a food source.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Nikki hope your doing okay.
Of course there is even the worry of eating Broccoli and what it MAY do to you. Can worry lower your immune system?

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but my situation is different. Cramping and pain has been reduced to an almost non-existant level the past 12 months. eliminating sugar, wheat, corn, dairy and dozens of other foods is mostly responsible for it. i also believe that antifungal drugs helped quite a bit because prior to taking them i had incredibly low tolerance for carbs.When i get gas now (i am on a high legume diet), there is never any pain. There may be an extremely mild discomfort but that is all. This proves to me that ---in my case--- it is not the gas that causes the pain but it is the massive immune activation or chemicals that are being released in response to eating intolerant foods. i also think that when the colon is home to not-so-friendly microorganisms then these bugs can secrete metabolic byproducts that trigger both the immune and enteric nervous system.Concerning stress, it is also a trigger but it seems to pale in comparison to what certain foods can do to me. extreme negative stress is more likely to cause my brain to get into a state of confusion but it doesn't affect my gut unless it is the highest level panic situation which is a rarity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Broccoli is a very good food and the little gas it produces I find not a big problem as other foods. My vote is Worry!!! Gee, Eric I thought you knew the answer--- everyone reacts differently!!!Hdog

·
Registered
525 Posts
Broccoli is good food, I bet if you steam it well, it's less gassy than raw? For me, I think worry is the worst. It puts my stomach in a knot.The phrase my GI dr uses: "It's not what you eat, it's what is eating you."Tania

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
On the topic "What one do you think is more of a major trigger to IBS?"the key word is "trigger"...a "trigger" is an event be it emotional or tangible, like a food or additive, which will provoke symptoms rapidly. Nomencalture is very important in this area as there is variance and so the specific words used need to be defined to avoid confusing one physiologic event for another, or thinking one is synonymous with another when it is not.So, using that specific and correct definition of "triggers", broccoli is occassionally a trigger food based on statistical probability.In the case of the chronically upregulated gut of the diarrheic-subclasses, either one, stress from worry or some other source, or broccoli can be a "trigger"...some thing which elicits rapid onset of symptoms.But these two facts don't reveal much about the physiology of the underlying problems with IBS, especially diarrheics, as 'triggers' often do not lie at the root of the physiology of IBS as it is now better understood in total.The upregulated gut, for example, is often in this state as a consequence of the chronic release of proinflammatory and proalgesic mediators both in the upper and lower gut within the mucosa and the lamina propria, even at the root ganglia of sensory and motro nerves, as well as mediators which are relased into the plasma and effect the entire body systemically including the structures of the Brain Gut Axis and the HPA axis as an example.This is why people experience "triggers"...which may have nothing at all to do with the underlying upregulation rather simply amplify or provoke it.rarely a food allergy is involved...maybe 8%...and this to can appear to be a 'trigger' due to nthe low dose and rapid onset. Broccoli is also rarely implicated.The normal stress responses of the B-G axis and the gut tissue itself autonomously are merely amplified by and underlying process.IF you can isolate what is provoking the underlyinf peristent cell mediated inflammtory process, thus causing chronic mediator release, you can avoid it and thus return the condition towards normal homeostasis. This can be done with oligoantigenic diet therapy which is designed to isolate end eliminate the specific foods or additives which provoke chronic cell mediated reactions, thus chronic mediator release, and chronic uprgulation making the entire sor called 'trigger' process even possible. This is why for example some folks can even get symptoms from eating too big a meal, too cold a drink, to fatty a meal, or other such general insukts as spicy foods...etc.If you remove the underlying provocation you elimionate the conditions which kae the secondary or "trigger" events into "trigger events"...so even if "stress or borccoli" were so called "triggers", they will be tolerated again and no longer be triggers.Case in point both certin types of stress events AND eating broccoli would "trigger" symptoms of my sever IBS. However, careful examination of what foods or additives were provoking mediator release revealed that broccoli was not reactive.So, after following my patient specific oligoantigenic diet, stress tolerance increased dramatically and brocolli, while still unpleasign to the palate and still a gassy veggie, can also be tolerated quite well.Several other food that I ate regularly were at fault, due to delayed onset hypersensitivity reactions which wer dose dependent so all the dietary logging in thr world never revealed the true underlying foods and additives provoking the mediator release actually responsible for my condition.This is very common.Some examples and discussions can be found here, which will make the true meaning of "STRESS OR BROCCOLI" questions and answers much clearer for the effected sufferers... http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=033220 http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=4;t=000616 http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...t=035352#000009 http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...ic&f=5&t=000470 http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...c&f=10&t=000826 http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...t=000667#000005 http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...t=000659#000008 There is also a good scheamtic diagram in nthis article which illustrates the relative dual roles of the CNS and immune response in lost oral trolerance to foods in the generation of IBS symptomology:Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics Vol. 15 Issue 4 Page 439 April 2001 Food Hypersensitivity and Irritable Bowel Syndrome S. Zar, D. Kumar, M. J. Benson http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/servlet/u...36.2001.00951.x While it was publsihed before some of the discoveries of the last several years were made, it turns out Dr. Zar was quite accurate in much of his proposed schematic shoing symptom mechanisms underlying IBS.MNL

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
The oligoantigenic diet has been a life saver for me. It has resulted in me eliminating some of my worst IBS symptoms -- cramping & severe pain, bloating, out-of-control gas production, and constant trips to the bathroom.However, problems remained. Therefore the root cause has yet to be discovered. the biggest clue is the fact that Ibsacol has given me countless days of normalcy for the first time in 20 years. but even Ibsacol has failed from time to time. it is operating at about 80% right now (80% of my days are good). i have to believe that there is some type of pathogen that is behind this whole mess (i will believe this until proven otherwise).I think that it is going to be some type of mycobacterium, virus, fungus hypersensitivity, or bacteria such as staphylococcous (inhabits 40% of us).the people who acquire IBS after a sever infection -- parasitic, amoeba ----- it could possibly be the result of the heavy antibiotic regimen that they undergo. Although maybe not. However, since the problems --IBS, crohn's -- seems to affect Westerners more often than underdeveloped populations, i think that something in our diet may be contributing.Sugar and dairy stand out. A high sugar diet is perfect for feeding certain microorganisms especially mycobacterium which is present in the milk supply. imagine that---- the lethal combination would be a milkshake. hey--who knows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts