Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS C for years and am used to swings, often day by day, although sometimes much longer periods, from feeling horrible to feeling normal. The last month or two it seems like it's been on the negative side just about all the time, although to a varying degree. It's probably no coincidence that the time frame is similar to when most of us became aware of the virus and were advised to shelter in place, social distance, etc., since stress is almost always cited as a contributor to IBS. I've never been tested because I don't have the symptoms (occasion congestion, coughs, etc., have gone on so long they are surely related to seasonal allergies, a very common spring and fall problem where I live). No one else in the family seems sick either, and none of us are going anywhere except for essential trips to the grocery store, etc., or for walks during which we keep a safe distance from others and wear masks, so I'm about as safe as is possible.(I acknowledge I'll have to "come out of hiding" eventually but plan to do so slowly and cautiously.)

I've been taking Miralax about once a week, since I've never had much success with prescriptions like Linzess, and when I last checked, none of the newer ones were available on my health plan. It eventually produces results, but I'm typically quite uncomfortable as my body inches closer to finally getting into gear, and also often when the "floodgates" finally open. I suppose there's nothing much to do except try to avoid the news headlines and try to maintain a positive attitude. Has anyone else noticed that their symptoms are worse these days? Anybody got any good ideas on other ways to get my system moving that might not entail such extended discomfort?

Since there's really no treatment for COVID-19 and probably won't be a vaccine for a long time, if ever, I'll have to learn to live with it being out there and causing elevated stress. Maybe I'll just get used to the idea and things will calm down, but I surely do feel miserable right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had IBS C for years and am used to swings, often day by day, although sometimes much longer periods, from feeling horrible to feeling normal. The last month or two it seems like it's been on the negative side just about all the time, although to a varying degree. It's probably no coincidence that the time frame is similar to when most of us became aware of the virus and were advised to shelter in place, social distance, etc., since stress is almost always cited as a contributor to IBS. I've never been tested because I don't have the symptoms (occasion congestion, coughs, etc., have gone on so long they are surely related to seasonal allergies, a very common spring and fall problem where I live). No one else in the family seems sick either, and none of us are going anywhere except for essential trips to the grocery store, etc., or for walks during which we keep a safe distance from others and wear masks, so I'm about as safe as is possible.(I acknowledge I'll have to "come out of hiding" eventually but plan to do so slowly and cautiously.)

I've been taking Miralax about once a week, since I've never had much success with prescriptions like Linzess, and when I last checked, none of the newer ones were available on my health plan. It eventually produces results, but I'm typically quite uncomfortable as my body inches closer to finally getting into gear, and also often when the "floodgates" finally open. I suppose there's nothing much to do except try to avoid the news headlines and try to maintain a positive attitude. Has anyone else noticed that their symptoms are worse these days? Anybody got any good ideas on other ways to get my system moving that might not entail such extended discomfort?

Since there's really no treatment for COVID-19 and probably won't be a vaccine for a long time, if ever, I'll have to learn to live with it being out there and causing elevated stress. Maybe I'll just get used to the idea and things will calm down, but I surely do feel miserable right now.
Hi - I've had IBS-C for 30 years; Always have a problem and have tried everything I think; My suggestion is about an app called Nerva that I've been using the past few months; it's a hypnotherapy app for IBS sufferers; 85% seem to have success with it; It's a daily guided meditation about 15-20 min each day w/a informative reading regarding IBS; It was created by Dr. Simone Peters - world leading expert in the treatment of IBS. 1 month-$43.99 or 3 mons-$60.99 or 1 yr.-$139.99; Many studies done at universities that shows it works. You don't have to watch your diet too much while doing it. Success rate last approx 5 yrs then they have a maintenance program for a tune-up.

Add'l info: Dr. Simone works for Alfred Health and the Monash University FODMAP Research Team. It was while working with Monash that she became aware of the potential for psychological therapies to improve gastrointestinal symptoms in people with gastrointestinal disorders and completed her PhD examining the role of gut-directed hypnotherapy as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts