Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be a junior this year,ever since 2 months into my freshmen year ive had IBS. The weird thing about this is, just in the morning i feel that gassy,and my stomache hurts, and when i go to the bathroom, i have to go to the bathroom about 2 more times after that in a period of 15 minutes, then about an hour into school i feel fine like i dont even have it. ANY ADVICE? THANKS

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
This seems to be the way it is with most of us. It is very common for IBS to strike in the morning exclusively. I've had it that way for all of the 7 years I've been dealing with IBS. I honestly don't think there's anything we can do about the time of day except to minimize how bad we feel at that time of day. How do you do that? In short--take care of yourself...here's some of the many things I do:1. Take Phillips Fibercaps (Fibercon is basically the same thing). I think this helps get most of it overwith in one trip to the bathroom.2. Get good quality sleep each night.3. When the cramps hit in the morning, give yourself enough time before you go to school that you can sit with an electric heating pad on your gut for about 20 minutes. (THIS IS MY BEST ADVICE--should've listed it first)4. Watch your diet--by that I mean to keep track of the foods you eat and how bad you feel each morning. You might see a pattern emerge eventually. I found, for example, that corn and corn sweetners (like you find in pop) are bad for my gut. I also have to be careful how much garlic and onions I eat.5. Hot tea sometimes helps. I don't drink the caffinated anymore, but I used to. The only reason I don't do caffiene is because I feel I'm more mentally focused without. I don't think it made a big difference on my gut, but the warm liquid is kind-of soothing in the mornings.I've got more where these came from, but these are some of my best. My IBS started in grad school which I had the option of walking away from and getting a job instead, so I know what it is like to try to get to class in the AM with a bad gut. Technically, I still go to school with a bad gut because I work in a university, but I think it is harder when you're trying so hard to learn in school than it is doing a 8:30-4:30 job. I really have a soft spot in my heart for people in your situation. It gets better, but you've got to be patient with it and take one day at a time. There's just no magic cure for something like this yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve thanks for your reply. Ive tried all of that.For some reason , i think the weather affects me . Could this be or am i loosing it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
schoolkid: I'm curious...have you been to a doctor regarding your problem? I'm wondering why you think it might be weather related? My son has very bad allergies and was referred to an allergist after all other testing was negative. He had dizzy (practically pass out on the football field) spells and turns out he is allergic to grass, pollen, all the stuff blooming during that time of year. Anyway, one of the questions the allergist asked him was if he had any stomach difficulties such as D. He did off and on but nothing regular and nothing he mentioned to me. So unless you have been diagnosed with IBS maybe there is something else going on with you. Is there something happening at school in the morning that you dread so much you get yourself upset? Then feel better after it's over? My IBS difficulties, unfortunately, do not happen on a regular basis - can strike anywhere from the time I arise to the time I go to bed....whether I'm in the mall or in an airplane.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea im a morning person too. My best advice is to take some kind of fiber i take citrcil and it has helped alot. Also have your big meal at lunch I NEVER eat anything after 6pm and it helps alot too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SchoolkidI don't think your nuts, I too am new to this and it also crossed my mind. I am currently in rough shape, in the morning, have been off work since June and it has been hot!I really don't think this is a factor, but yet to be convinced. Will be returning to work next week with little improvement , but realize that the worst part of my day is generally over by 1:00pm and I can work afternoons start at 3:00pm, not much of a answer for you.I do realize that tomatoes are a definite no,no had them for dinner last night, vine ripened and I love em! paid big time today!Good luckKeep Smiling

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey schoolkid,I know what you mean. I'm in my last year of Uni, and I used to suffer every morning that I got up. Wake up, take a shower, towel off and boom - really bad cramps and gas - finally manage to go the bathroom, but then 15 minutes later I'd have to go again, but it would be considerably looser than before. Then 15 more minutes and I'd go a third time (loosest of all). It got to the point where I'd be getting up 2 hours before class started just so I'd be fine when i got there (which really sucks when you have a 7:30am class). I started eating a couple of bran muffins, or triscuits at around 9-10pm and found that this helped considerably the next morning. I wouldn't suffer from the cramps in the morning anymore; I still had to go a couple of times and it was still loose, but at least there was no real pain.Now, however, I get hit mostly in the night right after I eat dinner, but isn't that the way it is with IBS? You find something that helps, and then you get a whole new set of problems to deal with - like now, it's starting to wake me up in the night. What the heck does that mean?Buttburn

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same problem here! BM 3-6 time in the morning, and then nothing for the rest of the day! Found out that I am better on weekends when I sleep in longer and I don't have to rush off to work. (I posted this somewhere else).Conclusion? I thought it could be the stress of waking up early and rushing to work. Also, wondered if it's because it's cold (I wake up at 7am and it's still cool, whereas if I wake up at 8-9pm on weekends the sun has come up). I just don't feel the need to go immediately when I wake up on weekends where I sleep later. Also thought it could be the things that I ate the day/night before..Anybody got any ideas?<< SiMoN >>

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've been trying to do yoga when I get up early..I'm not back to work yet, so I don't know for SURE how it will work, but so far okay. I get up 2 hours advance, do yoga, maybe have some tea and cereal and have cool shower. I know hot showers bother me (I think I mentioned that in a post before). I get the "runs" 1st thing in the morning like you all were saying too, but not as much if I do these things. I think I'm nervous about work too...esp when I have been off for so long..so being nervous about school would be about the same....have you tried mints? Even just using Scope helps me sometimes....Good luck at school...hope all of us helped, and if you need help with anything in school BUT MATH (yick, yick!!) let me know in a posting on meeting place.
(I'm Canadian, so a lot of American subjects would be over me too!)[This message has been edited by Auroraheart (edited 08-29-2000).]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi! I absolutely dread it whenever I have to get up early in the morning and be somewhere. I am going to technical college right now, and have a lot of morning classes. So, I get up at least 2 hours before I have to leave to give myself the extra time I might need. If all else fails I take Imodium to somewhat control the D. Mornings are so bad for me that I had to choose a "career" where I would be able to dash off to the bathroom.Right now I am taking Citucel, and Imodium if needed, and so far this week I have been doing better.I have noticed too that if I have to get up very early my IBS and D seems worse, otherwise, if I can sleep later it isn't always as bad. Maybe it's a stress-related thing?Renee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
StevenE-Thanks for your advice about feeling the worst in the morning. My mornings are the worst for me. I wake up with such bad gas, and then have 2-4 B.M.'s before I even leave for work. Sometimes I have to come back in a couple times before I even make it to my car. Then the rest of the day I seem to be fine. I appreciate your advice, and if you have anymore please send it my way!ThanksJayme

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are drinking milk or eating cereal in the morning skip that for a few days and see if the D gets better. Also , get up earlier and take your time getting dressed. That puts me under everytime if I have to rush to make it for an appointment and every time I get sick if I rush around and get stressed out.If none works, talk with your doctor so he can suggest something. You need to nip this in the bud as you are young and need to have fun and not let this continue.Best of luck. Post us again.A mom and a grandmom who knows a bit about youth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same problem with mornings. I am not recommending this and many of you might think it is nuts, but I drink coffee in the morning to speed the morning D and cramps along. Without coffee, the cramping can last for 4-5 hours. If I drink coffee, I am miserable but at least I can be out of the house in just under 2 hours. I don't know how I would EVER get to work without the morning coffee-not for the caffeine but the clearing of my bowels (I have nothing but water left in my bowels by the time I leave in the morning!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Schoolkid,I reread the post and agree that for me the am and especially the hot weather is the worst time for me. Heat makes me sick in a jiff. Of course I an older so this is not surprising. Do not laugh, But often when I am really hot and have to go someplace, I put icecubes in a baggies and put it in my shirt, and also take REAL cold water and wash the pulse points and my face until I cool off some. This is the way I watched the fireworks this year as it was so hot. I just tucked the ice under my shirt and it help me cook quite a bit. Helps the mind a lot so I am willing to try anything that is safe.Also, you did not say if you were in high school or college but being in school can be very stressing. This is when mine really began, in high school. Slow down and see how some of the suggestions on the board work.Let us know also in about a week.!!
Good luck/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I have the same problem as you. I have to go toilet every morning and at least 2 times b4 i feel 'safe' to go out. But recently, I try to make myself visit the toilet once and tell myself "yr brain is giving you wrong signal, you dont have anymore **** to **** out, if really urgent, just find a public toilet".I ate oatmeal cereal b4 and it really give me a clean ****ting (the bowel feel so hollow inside after that) but then i ended up gettin lot of wind.My mum got this problem too and i think i got that from her thru gene?? My 2 other sisters doesnt have this problem and I jealous of them =(.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is my first time writing on the bulletin, and I have the same problem in the mornings. I have had IBS for as long as I can remember, with good years and bad years, good days and bad days, but mornings have always been bad. I am a senior in college, and it has taken me longer to get here, because I always had to wait for afternoon and evening classes. This semester I do have to take morning classes, a matter of fact today was the first day, and I couldn't make it! I have bought all the books on this and done research, but I am still sick every morning. I tried to get up earlier, alotting myself 2-3 hours to get ready, but it never fails. I don't have to go until my body knows I have to leave in 15 minutes, then it takes me another 1 1/2 hours to be done with it. I go to the bathroom, think I am done, try to get in the car, have to do again, this can go on for about 5 times. Then when I am in the car, in traffic, I sudddenly have to go again! That is the scary part. I just have to sit there in excrutiating pain and wait to get to school. I do the same thing with smoking that one member does with coffee, I always wondered if anyone else had those little things that helped. If I can make it through 5 cigarettes, then I know I am fine. I don't even want the cigs, I just want to get going to the bathroom out of the picture and have a normal day. Well, so far, I am going to try some stuff that was posted, anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on going back to graduate school for teaching, but have contemplated changed future because I am scared to be in a job where I work in the mornings. I can't live my life like that anymore. Thanks for any suggestions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I smoke too and I often have the urge to sit in the toilet bowl after smoking. Even though there is no ****, I just got this urge to go toilet and **** but after i sit on the bowl and had the colon expanded tryin to ****, then it is back to normal.I think it is a matter of mentality. The best is to learn to control the number of time u go toilet. It has been successfully to me, when i was around 13 years old, I often have to go toilet at least 2 times and most of the time are consipation. I nearly want to kill myself for that!I also feel embarass whenever i go out with my frens as I will go toilet often. Most of the time are fake signal.Sigh...what to do??

·
Registered
128 Posts
Schoolkid,I also have the same problem in the mornings but mine is alittle different. My stomach wakes me up between 5am & 6am every single morning.So I can never sleep past 6am even when I'm dead tired. I never go right away. I usually have to sit on the toilet awhile, anywhere bet 20 mins to an hour depending how bad my stomach is. First, I passed the gas then comes the bm. I can go anywhere bet 2-10 times in an hour. Once this happens I can't go back to sleep, unless the d is so bad that it leaves me totally drained. Which usually happens at least once a month now. I am not working right now. When I was working I used to give myself three hrs every day to get ready for work. Two hrs for my tummy and one hr to get dressed. My stomach never feels settled in the Am. Once I leave the house the adventure begins. I used to have a two hr train ride to work and never knew if I was going to make it to work or not. There was a bathroom on the train but the train was always so crowded you couldn't get to the bathroom if you needed to. Almost every single day was a living hell for me. That's one of the reason why I not woking right now....You can do a few things to help yourself 1) Don't eat pass 6pm 2) Dont eat protein In the evening eat it during the day. It takes twelve hrs to digest meat. 3) Keep a food journal. This way you'll be aware what you eat and how it affects you. 4) Get a heating pad. It really helps when you feel an ache in your tummy. Hope you feel better

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fedup2,I don't know if you realize this but that smoking is adding to your stomach problems.I'm a former smoker. My GI told me that smoking is very bad for your stomach. It stirs up the acid. When I used to smoke I used to get such gas pains and the worst gastritis. That I had to stop smoking. It wasn't easy. I smoked for sixteen yrs before I quit. . Please think about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Victoria, Yes, I am trying to quit, and I do know that smoking can aggravate the problem. I only started smoking within the past couple of years, and have had worse symptoms even before I started smoking. My IBS goes back to the first day of kindergarten. That's why I am upset, I want to quit, but it is my security. I can't afford to have to go to the restroom every 15 for the first 4 hours if not longer of every day (sometimes). I need to do something else instead of smoking, but don't have the time to experiment on my own. There have also been days where I didn't smoke, tried to get through and then I am fine for the first 4 hours of the day, and then boom, out of nowhere, I am sick, except now I am not in the comfort of my own home, but on the highway, or in a rest., or at school or work. I just use them to speed up the process, I was thinking about switching to coffee, but I can't handle the caffeine, and I am not sure if decaf does the same thing. Any advice for how to hurry things up in the morning? I would love to quit smoking, but don't know what to replace it with to help me out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.