Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here. I've likely been suffering from IBS for about 15 years, but recently went to a GI - who confirmed it - though he did not do a colonoscopy or endoscopy yet because my symptoms "aren't alarming".. and there's no family history of anything bad. He started me on probiotics (allign - super expensive!), citrucel (which I haven't started yet because my diarrhea has been so bad I'm too scared to take fiber), and hyoscyamine sulfate to take before meals if I think I need it. What got me to go to a GI ultimately was that while usually I'll have an "episode" and then be fine for a month or so - I've been basically getting diarrhea every 3-5 days. Is it "normal" for symptoms to worsen? I've changed my diet, and nothing seems to help. I go back to the GI in June to be tested for lactose intolerance, and I tested negative for celiac, and my thyroid is normal.Any suggestions? I've never had to miss work or fun for this - and suddenly it's becoming a major problem.I should add that I've also been getting heartburn - which is new. Is this related to the IBS?Thanks!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I lit my morning smoke one day in 1988 and the D hit. That was the beginning of 10 years of daily misery. Still, it did get worse, until I was cra**ing in my robe in the mornings and afraid to go out until after the lunch movement(s). The indigestion which had dogged me for years, generally following big and high fat meals, eventually devolved until it would begin with my first bite of breakfast and continue on all day. Some nights it would end in reflux. In 1998 I began taking a flavonoid supplement to treat my cholesterol and found it also resolved my digestive and bowel problems. Shoot ahead another 10 years and I finally found out it has anti-inflammatory properties, especially pertaining to the colon (and, I presume, to the stomach as well). Inflammation can be sourced in many ways, from diet to chemicals to (even) stress. It causes D and indigestion, along with heart attacks and any number of other chronic illnesses. It's an option if you are getting no relief from the medical route.Good luck with this,Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.