Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for awhile here, I thought I would post about whats been happening to be over the past week since I'm at a loss.I went to my doctor a few weeks ago since I've been experiencing rediculous amounts of constipation and painful bloating and gas for a few months now. I also have chronic acid reflux which I've been treating with a daily dose of Prilosec, but I've stopped after reading the side effect profile, worried it may be making my symptoms worse. I got the basic celiac, collitis, ulcer, diabetes tests and all came back negative, leading her to think I most likely have IBS. She still wants to do more tests to be sure, but the biggest problem for me is that in 3 days I'm leaving for a term abroad in S.Africa for 5 weeks. I have been so stressed and nervous about this trip because of my stomach issues (which is probably making it worse) and as a result I have been severely constipated for about 7 days. I started using senna laxitives, tons of fiber supliments and water with minimal success and tried an enema for the first time a few days ago, which also only loosened up a small amount of stool. Since then I have tried:Glycerin suppositories - very little successDucolax suppositories - produced only cramping Lactulose -which was perscribed to me by a walk in clinic doctor and his words were "That stuff is dynamite, it will work." All it did was made me pass large amounts of water, as if the stool was still in there unaffected. Also, it gave me serious gas. ugh.I've now taken Ducolax oral tablets, hoping they will help in the morning but I'm not optimistic. I have no idea how to fix this, and my hemorrhoids are getting very painful from all the straining and watery stuff I've been passing. Could something else be blocking it? Normally I would be so desperate to try ANYTHING but the idea of 2 days straight in airports and airplanes with this issue does not appeal to me. I plan on going to the doctor tomorrow, but since it's Sunday only the mediclinics are open and I don't really trust them over my family doc who takes ages to get in to see. Hopefully I can get this sorted, otherwise it will not be a pleasant trip.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You should be able to get ointment/cream for your hemmorhoids and have you tried Movical?it maybe called something else if you do not live in the UK.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Maybe try magneisum oxide caps? It draws water into the stool to make it softer in passing. I take 1000 to 1250mg every night altho I think the limit per day is around 1000mg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I had trouble with constipation for years and then found this supplement that really helps. It's all natural and non addictive. It's called Intestinal Movement Formula and you can get it online. I highly recommend it. Worth a shot!Best of luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
1)Movicol - think it's called Miralax in the US - up to three sachets, even2)Crazy amount of water - 3 litres a day, or more. It's a chore but it is the best thing for C overall3)Methylcellouse fibre - citrucel in UK, and/or ispagula husk fibre (Fybogel in UK)4)An enema with lots of water, quite warm water, and hold it in for as long as you possibly can.All else fails ask your doctor for picolax which is apparently the strongest laxative ever.Hope things work out, good luck, much sympathy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Elizagoose, I might suggest that you look into some sort of strategies in coping with stress affects on your bowel. It sounds like you are trying a lot of different laxatives. This can be a little harsh on your bowel. If what you have is cIBS this is most likely a mind-body disease. It is important to treat the both the mind and the bowel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts