Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
We are considering launching a donation fund where 100% of the donations received would be donated to a responsible Digestive Health Foundation / Society / Professional Advocacy or Research Center. We believe our strength is in the number of IBSgroup members we have and we believe it is time that we have a say in supporting the kind of research and education which we feel will better our quality of lives.​
Examples of donation recipients may be (not an exhaustive list):​
  • UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders
  • American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society
  • American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
  • Foundation for Digestive Health and Nutrition (American Gastroenterological Association (AGA))
  • International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
  • Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
  • Children's Digestive Health and Nutrition Foundation
  • Advocacy for Patients with Chronic Illness
  • Individual researchers
Donations could be made to us in any amount. and would likely be maintained by a payment system such as Paypal. The IBSgroup would not maintain or have access to any credit card information. 100% of the funds received would be directed elsewhere. IBSgroup would not issue donation tax receipts for any donation received.We would like to gauge the interest in this kind of endeavor from our membership before proceeding.Is this something that you would consider supporting?Jeffrey Roberts, FounderIBS Self Help and Support Group

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Jeff - well done, you know I am all for this.May I suggest that if you do it there could be a sort of "roll of honour" which could list all the people who have donated..........just a thought.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
jeff--sounds like a great idea.if you do the honour roll thing though could you please also give people the option of donating anonymously--thanks.

·
470 Posts
As of today there have been 220 views to this thread but only 10 people have voted which I just cannot understand. There is nowhere near enough research into IBS and surely us IBSers would want more research wouldn't we? This is an opportunity to do something really positive. Just because you vote in the poll at the top of this page doesn't mean you have to donate it just means that you are expressing an opinion. So come on guys please vote at he top of this thread......please!

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
oh yes that would be me, too--low income. i agree wholeheartedly in supporting digestive disease research--i already donate to iffgd--it's the only way progress can be made. and i would love to be able to donate a lot of money but i simply cannot--retired, husband sick, our moms sick, lots of medical and other expenses--you know the drill. and i know a lot of us fall into this category--especially those unable to work due to ibs/digestive disease.that's why i'm hoping that if there is going to be an honor roll that the amounts that people donate will not be posted....thanks.

·
470 Posts
oh yes that would be me, too--low income. i agree wholeheartedly in supporting digestive disease research--i already donate to iffgd--it's the only way progress can be made. and i would love to be able to donate a lot of money but i simply cannot--retired, husband sick, our moms sick, lots of medical and other expenses--you know the drill. and i know a lot of us fall into this category--especially those unable to work due to ibs/digestive disease.that's why i'm hoping that if there is going to be an honor roll that the amounts that people donate will not be posted....thanks.
Annie7 - good for you! The amount that anyone donates should always be proportionate because all donations mount up; every little helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am wondering if fund-raising and other ways may be just a tad bit better.Not only am I pretty poor off income-wise, many members seem to have a lot of medical problems impeding them from making a whole lot of money, but a lot of us seem to be out of work/disabled where lobbying and fund-raising may be a possibility...Just wanted to throw it out there...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I definitely would. I believe I.B.S needs to get noticed more in the media. A whole lot more. I don't think it's fair how only cancers and infections are the main illnesses in the media. It means a lot to me to support it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely Jeff, I think this is a very good initiative. In fact, if you need any help on setting things up, administrating, contacting different parties and just looking for volunteer, I am more than happy to try my best to help. Cecilia

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry to say what i said about cancer. I was just getting at the fact that I.B.S should be treated as an important illness. It just seems to me that it gets ignored by most of the world. Us i.b.s sufferers won't take ignorance lightly :|

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi JeffI'm just to the north west of you.I guess being sick also makes us cynical.When we were asked to buy fishing licences so we could have more fish we said sure, still no fish.I could make a list of people who ask for money and spend it on hiring more people to ask for money.I donate to charities that have one goal in mind, that are small and local.I would only donate to this cause if it was for a small research team who's sole purpose in life was to find the cause and cure for IBS. I don't know if one exists not likely but you would think so.I admire you for trying but the biggest problem will be finding some place to donate the money where it won't be lost in the shuffle.You have created a major resource for us with this site. Thank you for that.If you ever drive to the top of Mississauga Rd in the summer let me know.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good idea.But there are a few of us on here from the UK and others from the likes of Australia or Netherlands etc.Would it be possible to donate to a fund based in your specific part of the world if you live outside the US?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.