Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the wow part: I've had IBS since high school and this is the first time I've felt "not alone" on the subject, now that I've found this message board. This past week and a half I've had over three bad and painful days on the pot. My wife gets ticked off at me when I'm howling in pain and guess what: it doesn't help much, I assure you. LOL! Now the crazy part: next week I'm leading a group of 20 on a three-day trip into the U.S. from Canada on a business trip. If I get stuck with a flare-up I am toast as the group is on the go doing site inspections here and there on a tight schedule. I tried to get out of it but I'm stuck with it. So, ladies and gentlemen of IBS--pray for me please.
I'll pray for you guys too. After reading about what many of you go through I just shuddered. Late next week I'll log back into this message thread and report on how I survived or suffered. Cheers,Mr Bowels.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yep, welcome from me too (another newbie)
I also wouldn't want to be making that sort of a trip (going to take my daughter to school is quite scary enough thank you! But good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
good luck hope all goes well. I'm sure you will be fine. try not to worry (i no easier said than done) as i have found that adds to the problem as well. if you get nervous try Rescue Remedy. its drops you put on your tongue wich calms your nerves. It does help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mr. Bowels,Good Luck and remember to stick to food that you know are safe...even if it means bread and water...at least that way you can be reasonably confident that you'll be fine. I'm from the lower mainland as well....not much support for IBS here huh?Well I will pray for you!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Good luck Mr B. I know I would never even try something like that. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and say prayers. Watch what you eat. Try not to get nervious and have anxiety. I know easier said than done but I do wish you well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the support guys! Yeah, I'm trying hard not to go nuts with "what if?" thoughts etc.... I'll just try to relax (Zen: I breath in, I breath out) and try to do my job and get back home. My emergency kit will be in my briefcase. LOL!Mattysmom, yes there isn't much support for IBS at all here. But, at least we'll have each other and this message board!Hey Fairy, what is this Rescue Remedy? I've never heard of it.Cheers,Mr Bowels.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Rescue Remedy is an OTC naturopathic remedy for anxiety and stress made from the Bach flower. You just spray it on the tongue as needed and it helps with anxiety. It comes in a yellow box at the pharmacy. Good luck with it and hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck Mr. Bowels. My dr. told me about some type of antispazmodic meds too that work very quickly- well....he said 15 minutes after you put it under your tongue- to me - 15 mintues is a very long time when an attack comes- but maybe the peace of mind of knowing it will be ok would relax me enough so i wouldn't poop my pants! Trips are hard. I recently went on a cruise with my best friend and I couldnt get her to understand why I didn't want to venture out on some of the really fun excursions. I am too embarrassed to tell people about this condtion, in fact it is just now I admitted it to my dr. so maybe there is help for me yet? Keep up your Zen breathing and even if the worst case scenerio happens- people will understand- looks like there are a lot of us IBS suffers all over!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all,I got back from Vegas and I survived! Of course, I was on Pepto Bismol the whole time (three doses per day) and I bet that helped! Phew! I will not tempt fate by leading a group elsewhere again if I can help it--I'll use whatever excuse I can get away with LOL.Thanks for your support!Cheers,Mr Bowels.

·
Registered
222 Posts
THE FOLLOWING WORKED WONDERS FOR ME ALOE VERA GEL/ACIDOPHILUS - PROCESS OF SUPPLEMENTING WITH SLIPPERY ELM BARKALL CAN BE PURCHASED ONLINE.Began taking combination of supplemnts on 4/28/05. - Symptoms have disappeared . No constipation, stomach gurgling,stomach pain, bloating,fatigue,irritability or sleeplessness.In addition to the program outlined below drank a gallon of Aloe Vera Juice daily for a couple of days initially.Drinking Green Tea.I have been in total misery since 1998, and suffered from fatigue - which was probably associated with IBS - from the mid -1980's. Two General Practitioner's diagnosed me with depression in the 1990's. Later diagnosed with H-Pyloria bacteria in my bloodstream. Also as previously noted my Gastroenterologist aded no value subsequent to eradicating the H-Pyloria bacteria. The GP's I used were totally worthless.If anyone has similiar success please shareIBS Relief – AcidophilusAloe Vera GelDGL – Licorice(Discontinued usage in early July)Began to see significant relief in the 1st weekTake twice the daily recommended amounts of, the following for two weeks. At that point reduce dosage to the recommended daily amounts. If symptoms reappear begin taking twice the recommended dosage.• Acidophilus – GOOD BACTERIA Promotes healthy digestion ;• DGL – LICORICE – Digestive Herb• Aloe Vera GelEstimated monthly cost is $30/$35 US.During this time period there should be no or limited consumption/usage of the following, with a diet of green or yellow vegetables and fish:• Alcohol;• Tobacco• Caffeine(including soft drinks)• Dairy Products• Sugar• Fried Foods• Red MeatAbove assumes that the Helicobacter – Pylori bacteria or other bacteria is not present in the bloodstream which could be treated with antibiotics. While the above may not work for everyone as there are no guarantees. HOPE SOMEONE WILL GIVE THIS A SHOT - WORKED FOR ME - BIG TIME.Hope this helps!!!!!BILL

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Glad you made it through Mr B. Yeah for you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.