Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiWell, l had my colonoscopy yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The consultant surgeon (only the best for me, lol) said he would try to give me just a little sedation. In point of fact the sedation had no effect at all, l was wide awake through the whole thing and it really wasnt that bad. I remember every detail. It was uncomfortable at times but not really PAIN! I was very lucky to have such a good surgeon doing the proceedure. To top that off as l had no sedation to speak of there was no after effects, no tiredness, nothing at all. Back to normal immediately. That was amazing as afterwards the guy told me l have a mountain range of intestines instead of the straight version. lol. That makes it harder for him as there are more corners to negotiate.The worst part has to be the prep, but even that didnt seem so bad, l didnt have terrible cramps and became very familiar with my downstairs loo. The best advice l can give to anyone is to be really conciencious after EVERY, (yes, every) evacuation. I used tissue, then baby wipe and then vaseline and l have no soreness at all even though the evacuations were at 100 mph.All in all the experience was ok, the thought of it being worse than the actual proceedure.So, everyone try not to worry, l know it will be different for all of you but my experience was nothing like as bad as l was expecting.My results are normal so i am VERY pleased and thankyou for all your advice beforehand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad to hear your experience wasn't as bad as you had been expecting. I know someone who had it done at work and said that apart from having terrible problems with farting afterwards, it was fine! I actually saw my gastroenterologist today and he suggested a gastroscopy and colonoscopy in one sitting (so to speak!!). For personal reasons, I have to have gastroscopy under general anaesthetic. It was a suggestion, but I doubt very much I will accept. As I have Coeliac Disease, I have already had one gastroscopy and it was not a pleasent experience. Contrary to your experience, I don't remember much from that day, or the next and remember falling asleep in the cinema on the third day because the effects still hadn't worn off!!!! Lol!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't feel like l had an option, they just sort of carried on. Then before l knew it, it was over and done with, l am very glad they did it that way, the girl was there with the sedation it was just a case of see if l could manage without. It was so much better as the recovery was so much easier.Thanks for your comments.Sandy x

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done two days ago. I was completely out of it for the endoscopy but awake for the second half of my colonscopy. It was fascinating being able to see my colon. The sedation they did was great, I went out shopping and then to lunch afterwards. Even the fasting and bowel prep wasn't too bad. I am still awaiting my biopsy results but everything else was normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.