Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,I just started writing a book about IBS. I am basing it on the callous way people with IBS are treated by the medical profession. My own Doctor took a whole 2 minutes (literally) to tell me I had IBS, try this drug and come back and see me in 3 months (if I felt I needed to, otherwise don't bother) before he showed me the door.
Ummm... am I the only one that thinks this is WRONG??? I have read so many horror stories that are much worse than mine. Some of you have gone years being treated this way. I want to get the word out that it is NOT okay to treat people like nothing is wrong with them and hopefully open some eyes to the fact that this is a very real and very unpleasant syndrome and that it doesn't help when your own Doctor doesn't care.If any of you would care to share your story with me so that I can put it in my book, I would really appreciate it. Hopefully together we can all make a difference.You can email me at TrinaPell###tampabay.rr.comThanks and be well,Trina

·
Registered
112 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------hello all. This is probably a little off subject, but I just need some one to talk to. My husband informed me yesterday morning, that he wants a divorce. He is tired of me being sick all the time. I have severe IBS(A). I won a court hearing in which the judge found me to be disabled because of the severity of my condition. This is my second marriage. In my first marriage, my husband made enough money to support all of us, so I never had to ask the government for help.After 16 years of marriage to an alchoholic however my IBS had gotten so much worse so we opted for divorce. Now because of my lack of work history, I am not eligible to collect disability, just SSI(which is to supplement my current husbands income. Anyway before I married my now husband, I told him all about the IBS and panic attacks. He even researched it and told me that he could handle anything as long as I wasn't an alchoholic. WHich I am not.Well after almost three years of him losing job after job and us becoming so finacially in debt which by the way has ruined my credit, My stress level is through the roof once again causing big problems with my IBS. And now when he finally gets a decent job making good money, he can't handle being married to me anymore! My God it hurts so much to hear that. I packed up my two kids, gave away all my pets (he got to keep his dog) and moved away from my entire family to move here to Amine to live with him where all his friends are and all his family is. I just feel like I could die! I nursed this man through 3 surgeries! I rubbed his back almost every night and was very affectionate. I told him I loved him hourly. I massaged away his headaches. I stayed up nights watching him breathe until he was diagnosised with sleep apnea and now wears a breathing machine at night. I take care of his ailing old dog every day. The house is kept clean and dinner is onthe table almost every night except sometimes after a serious bout when I just can't get moving. He say's he might as well be single because my being sick alot keeps me from going out alot. What more does he want from me. I hate living like this myself!!!! I hate IBS. I hate Panic attacks, and right now I don't particuliarly like myself. I want to be normal. I was fine with my limitations until he made me feel less then human. I don't think I'm a bad wife. I never spend money on myself. I never ask for jewelry or for fancy clothes, nothing like that. All I wanted was a warm home and to be loved unconditionally. Sometimes the I think the only way to get that, is to advertise that I am looking for a male who also has IBS. Sorry for running off like that, I just have no one to turn to right now. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
112 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------hello all. This is probably a little off subject, but I just need some one to talk to. My husband informed me yesterday morning, that he wants a divorce. He is tired of me being sick all the time. I have severe IBS(A). I won a court hearing in which the judge found me to be disabled because of the severity of my condition. This is my second marriage. In my first marriage, my husband made enough money to support all of us, so I never had to ask the government for help.After 16 years of marriage to an alchoholic however my IBS had gotten so much worse so we opted for divorce. Now because of my lack of work history, I am not eligible to collect disability, just SSI(which is to supplement my current husbands income. Anyway before I married my now husband, I told him all about the IBS and panic attacks. He even researched it and told me that he could handle anything as long as I wasn't an alchoholic. WHich I am not.Well after almost three years of him losing job after job and us becoming so finacially in debt which by the way has ruined my credit, My stress level is through the roof once again causing big problems with my IBS. And now when he finally gets a decent job making good money, he can't handle being married to me anymore! My God it hurts so much to hear that. I packed up my two kids, gave away all my pets (he got to keep his dog) and moved away from my entire family to move here to Amine to live with him where all his friends are and all his family is. I just feel like I could die! I nursed this man through 3 surgeries! I rubbed his back almost every night and was very affectionate. I told him I loved him hourly. I massaged away his headaches. I stayed up nights watching him breathe until he was diagnosised with sleep apnea and now wears a breathing machine at night. I take care of his ailing old dog every day. The house is kept clean and dinner is onthe table almost every night except sometimes after a serious bout when I just can't get moving. He say's he might as well be single because my being sick alot keeps me from going out alot. What more does he want from me. I hate living like this myself!!!! I hate IBS. I hate Panic attacks, and right now I don't particuliarly like myself. I want to be normal. I was fine with my limitations until he made me feel less then human. I don't think I'm a bad wife. I never spend money on myself. I never ask for jewelry or for fancy clothes, nothing like that. All I wanted was a warm home and to be loved unconditionally. Sometimes the I think the only way to get that, is to advertise that I am looking for a male who also has IBS. Sorry for running off like that, I just have no one to turn to right now. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
461 Posts
lyonskitten:Your story has left me speechless. I have no great words of wisdom or even a feeble suggestion but I offer a sincere wish that your situation improves and that some day you achieve your goal of being normal.Best Regards.

·
Registered
461 Posts
lyonskitten:Your story has left me speechless. I have no great words of wisdom or even a feeble suggestion but I offer a sincere wish that your situation improves and that some day you achieve your goal of being normal.Best Regards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey lyonskitten, I am sorry you have to go through so much. Hugs and prayers are being sent your way. Sometimes when I am upset just hugging one of my two children makes me feel better and gives me the strength to carry on. Children are so full of unconditional love and you are blessed to have them!Things will get better. Keep you chin up!Robin

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey lyonskitten, I am sorry you have to go through so much. Hugs and prayers are being sent your way. Sometimes when I am upset just hugging one of my two children makes me feel better and gives me the strength to carry on. Children are so full of unconditional love and you are blessed to have them!Things will get better. Keep you chin up!Robin

·
Registered
112 Posts
thank you all for your kind words. I have since spoken with my husband and he apologized profusely and wants to work things out. So as it stands right now I do not know what the future has in store for us. Please keep me in your prayers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
thank you all for your kind words. I have since spoken with my husband and he apologized profusely and wants to work things out. So as it stands right now I do not know what the future has in store for us. Please keep me in your prayers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
lyon, It seems like you bent over backwards for your husband. I should not be that way. I feel for you.....but you were married to an Alcoholic, right? ever read anything about Co-dependency? Here is your chance to take a look at that aspect of your relationship. Good luck, Joann

·
Registered
544 Posts
lyon, It seems like you bent over backwards for your husband. I should not be that way. I feel for you.....but you were married to an Alcoholic, right? ever read anything about Co-dependency? Here is your chance to take a look at that aspect of your relationship. Good luck, Joann

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hello Lyon,If you suffer from panic attacks, have you made an appointment with a psychiatrist? I had them very badly, and the psychiatrist was able to prescibe medication that made them go away. Therapy helped me idntify my stresses, how to cope with them, and how to get rid of those that were unacceptable. I encourage you to make an appointment, a better life lies ahead. Take care.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.