Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I start taking it 10 year ago for panic attacks. The doctor told me I will get hooked to it. I take .5 mg few hours before bed time, and .5 grams 10 am. for no longer than 4 to 5 days.then quit for 3 to 4 weeks, and so forth.I never got hooked, I never had to increase the dossage.In the last few years I get hostile in the first day of the dose.It is safe to start with the white(Ithink it is .1mg), but the white did not work for me right from the begining. I started with the pink (.5mg)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I take it as needed.I only take about 10-12 pills a month. I take the .25mg and I'm not addicted. It sure helps when I need them tho.Xanax and Imodium get me through the work day sometimes.Find what works for you.Take Care,Joyce

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also taken Xanax pills. .25mg up to four times in a day.They were very helpful to me duringa very troubling time. I still have them in case I should get a panic attack.I did not get hooked on them.Sibanetta

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have been taking .25 twice a day since June. If I stop, the D is back by the next day. Does that mean I am hooked or very anxious? Well, my mom died six weeks ago and my dad has Alzheimers...so guess I'd go with the latter for now. Take care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My IBS has returned with a vengence after going off my antidepressant (Prothiaden). I had been on Prothiaden for 8 years. Low dose of 75m. Which is half the recommended dose for depression. The frequent bowel movements vanished completely and I had to be carful with constipation which I controlled with Pshylium and plenty of water. I came off Prothiaden because I was sick of being on medication but now IBS is back. Because Prothiaden is an old style Antidepressant I am hesitant to use it now and am trying Zoloft tonight 25m. Hoping it will help give some relief to the anxiety and thus calming the bowel.I am also tracking down Dr Tom Borody Sydney Australia who apparently treats IBS with 20 days antibiotics with great success.I had a bloody awful day with the IBS today and sharing is a great help.I am 53 and got IBS at 23 years. It has come and gone over the years and I don't know why. The Prothiaden was an accidental miracle for me.I have had a normal life with the Prothiaden but it does cause constipation, lessens urination and puts on weight.Hope this is of assistance

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
For me the trick is, not to take them every day. I am on the lowest dose 0.25 given to me by my ENT for meneiers and dizziness, I noticed when I took it ,my D was better, so if I have to be at an occasion, wedding, hoilday. etc. I take it. If that is addiction>> so be it!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would be very interested to read more about dr Borody"s antibiotic treatment.I live in Brisbane but have read his websites for a while.He seems to be doing some interesting research.There is nothing about treating IBS with antibiotics but 5ASA compounds are mentioned.That is on the centre for digestive diseases (sydney) website.Please tell us if you find out any more.thanks gilly

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi, gilly and maaam,I'm glad I opened this thread, because I was able to learn about Dr Borody. I have done a search and found contact details. Would either of you be able to give me a link to one of the sites you have found to be helpful? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thankyou for the info, gilly. During the skim reading I did early, I got the impression that much of the anitbiotic therapy was done with patients who had crohn's disease. I wonder how effective it would be with functional disorders.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi yes the research using antibiotics for crohns is at the clinical trial stage in brisbane.They are using 3 extremely powerful antibiotics for 3 year treatments.Only a matter of life and death sort of thing.The doctors still think IBS is a minor inconvenience.They don't realise the impact it has on peoples lives.How do you find New Zealand for IBS knowledge.I find the doctors here to be backward.There doesnt seem to be anwhere to even get fructose intolerance testing which seems to be becoming common in the U.S.Everyday there are fantastic breakthroughs in cancer research and surgery,but I.B.S. is ignored,and drugs like lotronex still not available,howevever drugs to stop smoking and lose weight freely available.Sorry Im angry today are't I?Gilly

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
What is Xanax.I'm scared of any drugs except Methadone.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have two doctors I choose to visit (dependent on what my problem is), gilly, but neither is aware of the breath tests. However, one is quite enlightened and very willing to incorporate alternative treatments. I have done diagnostic tests with Great Smokies in the States through her. It seems that Dr Borody does SIBO tests. I wonder if he also does the fructose and lactulose tests.Perhaps we'll see breakthroughs with IBS when researchers and practitioners stop thinking that it's all in the mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.