Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been having some extra anxiety lately, more then usual. Anyway last week doc gave me the Generic form of Xanax. I've been to afraid to take it even though it's a low dose, because I'm afraid of side effects. I don't want to be zoned out for the holidays. For those of you who have tried it, what kinds of side effects did you have? Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Kazzy...just to let you know...xanax is the best...i just started it about a week ago...i only take 5 mg's...it does wonderful...makes me just a tad sleepy...but it also feels so good...not really spacey...just kind of like you don't have any worries...i love the way it makes me feel...sort of floaty...but still in control...and believe me...i don't take any meds...don't like the way they make me feel..i am always terrified to take meds...this stuff just makes me feel good...i am having some MAJOR pms going on right now...came into work today feeling like i could explode and hurt someone...and i took a xanax and now i feel just fine...and the feeling is good...i promise that this stuff is going to help you feel better...it sure does me...any more questions or anything...just ask...love to you and hope you are feeling good soon...take that pill soon...Kat

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Kazzy...just to let you know...xanax is the best...i just started it about a week ago...i only take 5 mg's...it does wonderful...makes me just a tad sleepy...but it also feels so good...not really spacey...just kind of like you don't have any worries...i love the way it makes me feel...sort of floaty...but still in control...and believe me...i don't take any meds...don't like the way they make me feel..i am always terrified to take meds...this stuff just makes me feel good...i am having some MAJOR pms going on right now...came into work today feeling like i could explode and hurt someone...and i took a xanax and now i feel just fine...and the feeling is good...i promise that this stuff is going to help you feel better...it sure does me...any more questions or anything...just ask...love to you and hope you are feeling good soon...take that pill soon...Kat

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kazzy, Xanax is a quick-acting anti-anxiety medication that also leaves the system fairly quickly. The generic form of Xanax is the same as the name brand. Take one and see how it makes you feel, one will not make you "zoned out for the holidays". Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kazzy, Xanax is a quick-acting anti-anxiety medication that also leaves the system fairly quickly. The generic form of Xanax is the same as the name brand. Take one and see how it makes you feel, one will not make you "zoned out for the holidays". Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My Mom says she isn't able to drive when she takes a Xanax but I don't have that response. In fact, sometimes I don't notice any difference except that easing of my IBS symptoms.I suggest taking one when you don't have to be some where and seeing how it affects you. I am sure the affects will be very mild if any. Sometimes I feel a little tired and relaxed, which is a good thing. Carly

·
Registered
295 Posts
My Mom says she isn't able to drive when she takes a Xanax but I don't have that response. In fact, sometimes I don't notice any difference except that easing of my IBS symptoms.I suggest taking one when you don't have to be some where and seeing how it affects you. I am sure the affects will be very mild if any. Sometimes I feel a little tired and relaxed, which is a good thing. Carly

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally have been taking xanax for over 2 years! Brand name and genero are the same. I think KittyKat meant to say she was taking .5 mg's instead of 5 mg's, but besides that I am perscribed two 2 mg tablets a day as needed. Not only have I been an IBS sufferer for 4 years, but I have high anxiety. Both together has been devistating. full time work? forget it, I could never promise any employer I would show up on time and perform accordingly. The anxiety part came after my IBS symtoms were diagnosed which of course complicated my IBS. A vicious cycle as most of us know. The problem I have found with xanax is, it is not meant to take for a long period of time, which I have been doing under doctors care. Your body's chemistry changes after awhile and xanax becomes un-effective. Of course you do not want to take more then what is perscribed, and believe me 4 mg's of xanax would knock out anyone who has never taken it before.Also, xanax's side effects, for me anyways is very very dry mouth during sleep. I hate taking meds like most of us and I have a doctors visit today at 11 am. Meds become to take over your life if you allow tem to. Beware of any and all doctors who perscribe medication for your symptoms. I was once told by an excellent Gastro Doctor "try the medication and if it helps thats good, if you see no improvement within a couple days throw it out". This brings up another point. Be sure to research the medication, whatever it may be, because side effects sometimes can be much worse then the actual illnes. Please check out my post on 12/21/04 *I hope this helps*

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally have been taking xanax for over 2 years! Brand name and genero are the same. I think KittyKat meant to say she was taking .5 mg's instead of 5 mg's, but besides that I am perscribed two 2 mg tablets a day as needed. Not only have I been an IBS sufferer for 4 years, but I have high anxiety. Both together has been devistating. full time work? forget it, I could never promise any employer I would show up on time and perform accordingly. The anxiety part came after my IBS symtoms were diagnosed which of course complicated my IBS. A vicious cycle as most of us know. The problem I have found with xanax is, it is not meant to take for a long period of time, which I have been doing under doctors care. Your body's chemistry changes after awhile and xanax becomes un-effective. Of course you do not want to take more then what is perscribed, and believe me 4 mg's of xanax would knock out anyone who has never taken it before.Also, xanax's side effects, for me anyways is very very dry mouth during sleep. I hate taking meds like most of us and I have a doctors visit today at 11 am. Meds become to take over your life if you allow tem to. Beware of any and all doctors who perscribe medication for your symptoms. I was once told by an excellent Gastro Doctor "try the medication and if it helps thats good, if you see no improvement within a couple days throw it out". This brings up another point. Be sure to research the medication, whatever it may be, because side effects sometimes can be much worse then the actual illnes. Please check out my post on 12/21/04 *I hope this helps*

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replys. I took some this morning, it helped for quite a while. I will take it as needed and have my first appointment with a Psychologist on the 29th. Happy Holidays to all.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replys. I took some this morning, it helped for quite a while. I will take it as needed and have my first appointment with a Psychologist on the 29th. Happy Holidays to all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think Xanax is great for short-term anxiety. You should be aware that it can be habit-forming and the withdrawal symptoms can be nasty if taken for a long period of time at higher doses. But if you take it just as needed, it works really well.Here's what the manufacturer has to say about it at www.xanax.com:What is XANAX�?XANAX (alprazolam tablets) is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Controlled clinical trials have demonstrated that XANAX is effective in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, anxiety associated with depression, and Panic Disorder with or without agoraphobia.How quickly does XANAX offer relief?In the treatment of anxiety disorders, XANAX may offer some patients prompt relief of symptoms. An early-morning dose (8 am) of XANAX may take effect within 1 to 2 hours in healthy adults.Should I be careful what I eat or drink while taking XANAX?Yes. Inform your physician about any alcohol consumption and medicine you are taking now, including medication you may buy without a prescription. Alcohol should generally not be used during treatment with benzodiazepines.Can I take XANAX if I'm pregnant?The use of XANAX should almost always be avoided in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Therefore, inform your physician if you are pregnant, if you are planning to become pregnant, or if you become pregnant while you are taking this medication.Can I nurse while taking XANAX?Nursing should not be undertaken by mothers who must use XANAX. Inform your physician if you intend to nurse.Is XANAX safe for younger people?Safety and effectiveness of XANAX in individuals below 18 years of age have not been established.Is XANAX appropriate for elderly people?The elderly may be more sensitive to the effects of benzodiazepines. The smallest effective dose of XANAX should be used in the elderly to preclude the development of ataxia and oversedation.Will XANAX affect my daily routine?Until you experience how this medication affects you, do not drive a car or operate potentially dangerous machinery, etc.Will taking more XANAX than what my doctor prescribed hurt me?Do not increase the dose even if you think the medication "does not work anymore" without consulting your physician. Benzodiazepines, even when used as recommended, may produce emotional and/or physical dependence.Can I just stop taking this drug if I feel it's not working?Do not stop taking this medication abruptly or decrease the dose without consulting your physician, since potentially severe discontinuation symptoms can occur.What is a "controlled substance"? Is XANAX a controlled substance?Controlled substances are drugs and substances that have been categorized into one of five schedules by the Drug Enforcement Administration based on their medical use, abuse and addiction potential, and harmfulness. For example, Alprazolam is a controlled substance under the Controlled Substance Act and XANAX Tablets have been assigned to Schedule IV. (When travelling, controlled substances should be carried in the container they were dispensed in.)Most drugs that require a prescription from a doctor are not controlled substances. The United States' Controlled Substances Act and its implementing regulations, however, assign certain substances to one of five "schedules." These substances are placed in a schedule based on their potential for abuse, which may lead to physical or psychological dependency. Schedule I substances have no accepted medical use for treatment in the United States and are not available by prescription. Schedule II through V substances have accepted medical use and varying potentials for abuse and dependency. The lower the schedule number, the higher the potential for abuse. Doctors, dentists, veterinarians, physician assistants (in some states), and nurse practitioners who are licensed by a State and registered with DEA may prescribe these substances. Controlled substances include narcotics (pain relievers), stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, and anabolic steroids. Examples of Controlled Substances(When used appropriately and as directed by a physician, Schedule II-V drugs have approved therapeutic uses.) Schedule I MetamphetamineHeroinMarijuana Schedule II Codeine (without Tylenol�)OxycodoneRitalin� (methylphenidate) Strong Barbiturates (Seconal�)Schedule IIITylenol� with CodeineVicodin� (hydrocodone)Schedule IVAmbien� (zolpidem)Sonata� (zaleplon)XANAX�Weak barbiturates (phenobarbital, Luminal�)Schedule VLomotil� (diphenoxylate)Robitussin A-C� This is not a complete list of controlled substances. These are only examples from each schedule list. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.Where is XANAX on the schedule?XANAX is a Schedule IV drug, which has a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in Schedule III. Certain adverse clinical events, some life-threatening, are a direct consequence of physical dependence to XANAX. These include a spectrum of discontinuation symptoms; the most important being the possibility of seizures. Even after relatively short-term use at the doses recommended for the treatment of transient anxiety and anxiety disorder (0.75-4.0 mg per day) there is some risk of dependence. Spontaneous reporting system data suggest that the risk of dependence and its severity appear to be greater in individuals treated with doses greater than 4 mg/day and for long periods (more than 12 weeks).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think Xanax is great for short-term anxiety. You should be aware that it can be habit-forming and the withdrawal symptoms can be nasty if taken for a long period of time at higher doses. But if you take it just as needed, it works really well.Here's what the manufacturer has to say about it at www.xanax.com:What is XANAX�?XANAX (alprazolam tablets) is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Controlled clinical trials have demonstrated that XANAX is effective in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, anxiety associated with depression, and Panic Disorder with or without agoraphobia.How quickly does XANAX offer relief?In the treatment of anxiety disorders, XANAX may offer some patients prompt relief of symptoms. An early-morning dose (8 am) of XANAX may take effect within 1 to 2 hours in healthy adults.Should I be careful what I eat or drink while taking XANAX?Yes. Inform your physician about any alcohol consumption and medicine you are taking now, including medication you may buy without a prescription. Alcohol should generally not be used during treatment with benzodiazepines.Can I take XANAX if I'm pregnant?The use of XANAX should almost always be avoided in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Therefore, inform your physician if you are pregnant, if you are planning to become pregnant, or if you become pregnant while you are taking this medication.Can I nurse while taking XANAX?Nursing should not be undertaken by mothers who must use XANAX. Inform your physician if you intend to nurse.Is XANAX safe for younger people?Safety and effectiveness of XANAX in individuals below 18 years of age have not been established.Is XANAX appropriate for elderly people?The elderly may be more sensitive to the effects of benzodiazepines. The smallest effective dose of XANAX should be used in the elderly to preclude the development of ataxia and oversedation.Will XANAX affect my daily routine?Until you experience how this medication affects you, do not drive a car or operate potentially dangerous machinery, etc.Will taking more XANAX than what my doctor prescribed hurt me?Do not increase the dose even if you think the medication "does not work anymore" without consulting your physician. Benzodiazepines, even when used as recommended, may produce emotional and/or physical dependence.Can I just stop taking this drug if I feel it's not working?Do not stop taking this medication abruptly or decrease the dose without consulting your physician, since potentially severe discontinuation symptoms can occur.What is a "controlled substance"? Is XANAX a controlled substance?Controlled substances are drugs and substances that have been categorized into one of five schedules by the Drug Enforcement Administration based on their medical use, abuse and addiction potential, and harmfulness. For example, Alprazolam is a controlled substance under the Controlled Substance Act and XANAX Tablets have been assigned to Schedule IV. (When travelling, controlled substances should be carried in the container they were dispensed in.)Most drugs that require a prescription from a doctor are not controlled substances. The United States' Controlled Substances Act and its implementing regulations, however, assign certain substances to one of five "schedules." These substances are placed in a schedule based on their potential for abuse, which may lead to physical or psychological dependency. Schedule I substances have no accepted medical use for treatment in the United States and are not available by prescription. Schedule II through V substances have accepted medical use and varying potentials for abuse and dependency. The lower the schedule number, the higher the potential for abuse. Doctors, dentists, veterinarians, physician assistants (in some states), and nurse practitioners who are licensed by a State and registered with DEA may prescribe these substances. Controlled substances include narcotics (pain relievers), stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, and anabolic steroids. Examples of Controlled Substances(When used appropriately and as directed by a physician, Schedule II-V drugs have approved therapeutic uses.) Schedule I MetamphetamineHeroinMarijuana Schedule II Codeine (without Tylenol�)OxycodoneRitalin� (methylphenidate) Strong Barbiturates (Seconal�)Schedule IIITylenol� with CodeineVicodin� (hydrocodone)Schedule IVAmbien� (zolpidem)Sonata� (zaleplon)XANAX�Weak barbiturates (phenobarbital, Luminal�)Schedule VLomotil� (diphenoxylate)Robitussin A-C� This is not a complete list of controlled substances. These are only examples from each schedule list. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.Where is XANAX on the schedule?XANAX is a Schedule IV drug, which has a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in Schedule III. Certain adverse clinical events, some life-threatening, are a direct consequence of physical dependence to XANAX. These include a spectrum of discontinuation symptoms; the most important being the possibility of seizures. Even after relatively short-term use at the doses recommended for the treatment of transient anxiety and anxiety disorder (0.75-4.0 mg per day) there is some risk of dependence. Spontaneous reporting system data suggest that the risk of dependence and its severity appear to be greater in individuals treated with doses greater than 4 mg/day and for long periods (more than 12 weeks).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Albion. The info really helped. I plan on using the Xanax short term and in conjunction with therapy. I hope to eventually control my symptoms on my own. Thanks again.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Albion. The info really helped. I plan on using the Xanax short term and in conjunction with therapy. I hope to eventually control my symptoms on my own. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.