Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering for years with IBS-C. Recently I decided to try a new Gastro Dr since my previous one was just not offering any successful treatment options for me. I had blood in my stool, leaky gas, and the symptoms were really becoming a hinderance in my daily life. Embarrassing to say the least.New Doc prescribed Xifaxan, an antibiotic normally used to treat traveler's diahrrea. (2) 200 MG tablets, 3 times per day for 10 days. I thought my Dr had lost his mind when he said that would be all that would be needed to be cured of this pain, gas, bloating and contipation. (Insurance did not cover...had to beg my Dr for samples which he did give to me.)It has been 3 weeks since I finished the antibiotics and I feel incredible. NO pain, BM's are normal (I didn't even know what "normal" was before). I have also cut coffee almost completely out of my diet (unfortunately) and still occasionally drink Metamucil. No other diet modifications have had to be made and I can now enjoy onions, beans and ice cream without doubling over in pain.I went back to the DR for follow up, and asked him if this will likely return and I'll have to go on antibiotics again. He said from what he has seen, it's very rare that symptoms return.I'm not sure this will work for everyone, but I wanted to share my experience. So far so good - I feel like a new person!

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is terrific! Your doctor subscribes to the theory that bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine causes IBS. There is a book written by Mark Pimentel MD called "A New IBS Solution" that describes this protocol. The theory goes that by establishing a more "normal" level of bacteria in the small intestine, the conditions that cause the IBS symptoms go away. I am going to see my gastro in about a week to ask him about the same thing. I've had IBS-C for 30 years, and if it was all due to bacteria, I don't even know what I will say. I hope that you remain healthy!Steven

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't tell you how thrilled I am when I read posts like this. I've been trying to find something that will get rid of my ibs-c for a couple years and can't wait until someone finally lets me try a good dose of antibiotics to see if that's the problem. Congrats to you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.