Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GI recently prescribed xifaxan for my ibs d. It seems like a wierd treatment since xifaxan is usually used for travelers d.I am supposed to take it twice a day for 10 days. I am then supposed to eat a lot of yogurt. I was just wondering if Xifaxan worked or didnt work for any one else.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hi David, There are some others here who've been treated with the antibiotic Xifaxan (Rifaximin). It's helped someone w/ constipation. Others it has helped for a while, and others not at all. There's a new book by Pimental out that explains the rationale~A New IBS Solution: Bacteria--The Missing Link in Treating Irritable Bowel SyndromeRifaximin is supposed to be safer than the average antibiotic because it isn't systemically absorbed, 95% stays in the GI tract. I've got several studies I can link you to showing the ability of Rifaximin to kill specific strains of facultive bacteria, as well as the low antibiotic-resistance & trials for IBS...In Pimental's book, he talks about eating no sugar, low carbs, & staying away from heavily processed foods while trying to eradicate the bacteria. Just curious if your MD mentioned this??Good Luck. Talissa

1 - 2 of 2 Posts